"Under God" Should Be Removed From the Pledge of Allegiance

Yes, the phrase "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance should be removed. To begin, America is a country of many religions/beliefs along with ethnicity, sexuality, etc. and should never favor one of them more than the other. Also, The United States of America is not a Christian nation at all. I do understand that the majority of our founding fathers were Christian, but that never meant that they implied religion to everything that they did. For example, take President Obama; he is religious, yet none of the decisions he makes are revolved around God. Lastly, the sole reason America was founded was because of people wanted to have their own religious freedom. Great Britain had forced their beliefs on the people that had lived there and punished them for thinking differently. Why would the people begin a country for those who want religious freedom and equality then take it away by adding "Under God;" that would be absolutely ridiculous. In conclusion, the phrase "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance should be removed, and nobody should be required to say it.

In order to make the statement "should be removed", especially for a long established tradition, one should have sufficient grounds to remove. The phrase "Under God", as stated by founding Fathers is not a phrase that states an exclusive or official religion for our nation. Such an example would be "The Islamic Republic of Iran" which in itself denotes an official state of policy and preference. "Under God" as used in the Pledge of Allegiance refers to the founding Fathers idea that the principles and moral foundations of our nation originate from "God's principles", hence the saying "Under God". When they were drafting the constitution as well as bill of rights, etc, they used Christian principles as a moral guide; therefore, the phrase does not state an official religious ideology or take away religious freedom and equality as Pro mentioned. It ultimately represents a source of origin.

P.S. many of the Founding Fathers weren't Christian.
one more P.S. I'm not religious

Thank you for accepting the debate, tim.ray. I may have had you misunderstood about my last statement from my previous round. I was saying that for the founding fathers to want the phrase "Under God" was ridiculous, not that the founding fathers had originally adopted it. Anyways, the phrase was added by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on June 14, 1954 to mainly combat/target atheism and communism. Eisenhower also added the motto "In God We Trust" to our coins in 1956 for the same reason. So yes, "Under God" is going against another group or religion.

Thanks you for clearing that bit of history up. I hadn't done any previous research on this subject.

Two points you made that I will address.

1) Eisenhower didn't add the phrase to combat atheism at all. It was coined because of the influence of a religious group(The Knights of Columbus) that understood and recognized the foundations of our country's moral system. "These words will remind Americans that despite our great physical strength we must remain humble. They will help us to keep constantly in our minds and hearts the spiritual and moral principles which alone give dignity to man, and upon which our way of life is founded" as stated by Eisenhower in addressing the nation. In no way was the motivation for "Under God" based upon destroying atheism, but instead as a means of recognizing an origin, as I mentioned in the first round. I'm not sure where you found your information as to the reasons for the phrase being added but its largely inaccurate.

And yes "In God We Trust" was created to combat atheism; but not atheism as an individual ideology, principle, or belief system. More specifically it targeted STATE ATHEISM in order to distinguish America's political foundations and ideology from that of the Soviet Union. However, the argument isn't about "In God We Trust" so there's no point in even discussing that.

2) You stated "Under God" is going against another group or religion. Again as I discussed above, the motivation for the phrase was to serve as a reminder of the basic foundations of the country. This doesn't go against any group or any religion.

As I had previously stated, the USA was not founded as a Christian nation, but a country of diversity. As you have also stated, "In God We Trust" was stated to combat atheism, so why wouldn't "Under God" be, especially being the same person who proposed the idea around the same time area. To continue, it is not fair for it to be in the pledge. Students are expected to stand up every day and recite it. And because of that phrase, some students don't speak any of the words, singling them out from the rest of my class that does. I have experience; my teacher is a fat bag of bull EVERY single day. He tells everyone to sing the pledge as loud as they can while adding "'Murica" to the end of it because of one day where no one was singing the pledge with spirit and asked "What are we now, communists?" He also makes direct references to atheism that every day that his life that he finds boring is atheist day because atheists have a life of no joy. I'm sorry for getting off topic there, I just wanted to exploit my teacher for that bs. Anyways, what I have to say.

Three points to address with a few other comments.

1) Although the USA was not founded as a Christian nation, it was founded on Judeo-Christian based principles of morality. Again AtheistPerson's statements that the country is diverse does not negate the fact that the country's principles first formed from Christian, "God" based ethics. Pro's argument here falls short.

2) Its not a prudent assumption that because "In God We Trust" was "stated to combat atheism" why wouldn't "Under God" be as well. Both situations came as a result of completely different motives. Also as I mentioned before, "In God We Trust" was targeting STATE ATHEISM specifically, not atheism in our country. It was not a way to eliminate atheism, but instead a method of making a political stand and distinction due to the confusion of the Cold War time. In addition, the reason for coining "Under God" is to recognize the source of the nations founding moral code. This is a fact, not an opinion, and history backs what I'm saying. Finally, "In God We Trust" came two years after "Under God" so if anything, "In God We Trust" should have the same motivation as the prior statement. With all respect, Pro's argument here falls short.

3) As for the students in the classroom being forced to say the Pledge. By reciting the line "One Nation Under God" one is not giving up freedoms or even stating that they are Christians. By saying this part of the Pledge, one acknowledges that they understand the history and moral background of the nation. To not say the pledge would be perfectly understandable, given that the person may not like or agree with the moral system or its origin.

Pro still has not given sufficient grounds to remove "Under God" from the pledge. I'm curious as to who's freedoms are being taken away or inhibited, and the teacher sounds like a quite ignorant person. Even though I'm not sure as to how it supports Pro's arguments.

1/2. I can certainly agree with you that morality such as murder, rape, and stealing were from religion, but even if all the founding fathers were atheist, they would still know not do those things and include those laws. Nobody needs religion to be a moral person. In fact, around 15% of prisoners are atheists ( ( ( Many more state that only 1% of prisoners are atheists!

3. No, saying the phrase "One Nation Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance is not acknowledging the Nation's history. It means that the people in our nation are people of God! What is separation of church and state and religious freedom for if people are required to say it routinely!

I didn't mean for it to support my argument, I just wanted to state a personal experience of being discriminated against by my own teacher on the subject of the Pledge of Allegiance.
As this is my final say, I want to let you know this is my first debate on here and 12 years old so I am just a beginner.

Addressing 1/2 and 3 and other final comments.

1/2) Pro says he agrees that the principles that the nation was founded on come from religion, then proceeds to state that "even if all the founding fathers were atheist, they would still know not do those things and include those laws". So this means take "Under God" out of the pledge? If someone creates something and later you give credit to where the creator believed he received the ideas for that something, should you not give credit because people that use the product don't like the source of the ideas. Forgive me if my example is confusing, but that is essentially what is happening. Great that atheists are morally sound people. The pledge doesn't say they aren't. The argument has nothing to do with the moral uprightness of the atheist community.

3. By saying the phrase "One Nation Under God" you are in no way admitting or referencing that the people in our nation are people of God. In fact, to be specific, saying that one is "a person, or people, of God"(quite a different statement than 'under God') is the same as saying one is a Christian. Those saying the Pledge of Allegiance have not proclaimed to be Christian. Again as I've said before, "Under God" does not denote an official state of religious beliefs, but instead a recognition and admission of the source of a moral tradition original attributed to God.

This was a great discussion/debate and I have only respect for Pro and his arguments. I wouldn't have thought you were twelve. Very mature and logical debater. LET THE VOTING BEGIN!
Posted by tim.ray 1 year ago
Ik right!
Posted by AtheistPerson 1 year ago
Can anyone vote?
Posted by gomergcc 1 year ago
I upset many teachers when I found out I was not required to stand or say the Pledge of Allegiance.
Posted by gherkin 1 year ago
I agree take it out. its hypocritical to call it a free nation when you have a Christian deity in your pledge of allegiance.
Posted by tim.ray 1 year ago
I don't even know why I'm arguing this lmao I sound religious as F right now.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
if you leave it " under God", thenl everyone can say it. The atheist can say it because atheism is their god. The freeloader can say it because government is their god. And all religious people can say it injecting their own idea of who god is.

All god means is provider.
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
How about replacing it with " under truth". Then most politicians and freeloader democrats can not in good conscience say it.
Posted by tim.ray 1 year ago
first debate on here. yay. -_-
Posted by Gabe1e 1 year ago
Ha, green party.
Vote Placed by z1 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Hmm interesting. I must say, I am a bit bias on this one lol. Tried not to be though.