KEITH.H
happycamper

Under age working

Started: 4/30/2013 Category: Economics

KEITH.H

Pro

Under age working should start at the age of 13 (If the teen age wants to work some one cant make them work it also depends on your grades they must be B's or A's) with out a permit.Why do I think so because most teens at 16 and up are most likely to learn responsibility and most likely learn how to get a job and fill up all the present and the future job that the U.S.A will have.Their is not enough collage students to fill in those gapes because teens cant make money for food, a home, and afford collage.So that is why I think that working ages should state at the age of 13 with out a permit.
happycamper

Con

I find that your argument in support of underage working at 13 years of age is false. From what I take of your argument, you support the working of 13 year old children because you claim there is a shortage of workers via a lack of readily available college students to take open jobs in the U.S. and therefore there is a surplus of available jobs here in our country ("fill in those gapes" -a quote from your argument). I find this argument to be directly false as we are in an economic crisis here in the U.S. and in fact there is a shortage of jobs. The overwhelming majority of jobless and homeless american citizens are not college students. If you were to raise already high competition levels that exist in the U.S. for these scarce jobs (by allowing more people to work via lowering the age of underage workers) it would only make the economic crisis even worse and cause an even greater shortage of jobs.
KEITH.H

Pro

KEITH.H forfeited this round.
happycamper

Con

To continue, I know that many companies would not want to hire a 13 year old because they are still immature and most 13 year old's are still in elementary school. I would be hard-pressed to find a company that would not consider a 13 year old employee as a liability. At such an age this could cause stress and feelings of rejection from not getting hired and at such an early time in their life they should obviously be more focused on their education and other more important things rather than dealing with this newly found, self-inflicted pressure. I also find it hard to believe that a 13 year old child will know how to manage their finances properly when studies already show that 16 year old's are financially irresponsible.
KEITH.H

Pro

KEITH.H forfeited this round.
happycamper

Con

Children working at 13 years of age are too young for the following reasons; they are ill prepared to handle the sometimes harsh conditions of a working environment where there will be adults present. They are not knowledgeable enough of the risks involved when working with adults such as sexual harassment. They are generally unaware of unethical conditions that may arise in the work environment and therefore are at risk of being taken advantage of in various ways.
Posted by happycamper 3 years ago
happycamper
How ridiculous is the website- that I wrote out 3 entire arguments against this guy and It's a tie...a complete waste of my time lol
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
Welcome to DDO! If you need someone to take this debate, I can, but you should probably wait for someone at/about your experience level.