Flyinglow
mongeese

Under normal circumstances, at one spontaneous moment, hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do

mongeese
Started: 10/23/2009 Category: Sports

Flyinglow

Pro

Full resolution: Under normal circumstances, at one spontaneous moment, hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do.

1st round is not for arguing and not for case work.

I await a challenger
mongeese

Con

I am your challenger. Begin.
Flyinglow

Pro

I affirm.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do

A: When you actually hit the ball, it is only on the bat for 1/1000th of a second, and the best of the best, normally only succeed 3 out of 10 times, for a .300 batting average.

B: Consider that a fastball thrown at 95-100 mph reaches home plate in about 0.4 seconds. Adair notes in his book that it takes 0.15 seconds for humans to voluntarily blink their eyes in response to visual signals. When a big-league fastball is on the way, you must do far more than just blink. You must swing the bat to precisely the right spot at precisely the right time. "If a person from another planet was told what's involved ... they would say it's impossible," says Porter Johnson, a physics professor at Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago

C: Expert's view — Torii Hunter

Torii Hunter is an All-Star center fielder and American League MVP candidate who helped the Minnesota Twins win the AL Central in 2002. He has hit 29 and 27 home runs the last two seasons.

Q: What is the hardest thing about hitting a baseball?

A: "It's a matter of precision, adjustment and accuracy, and there's not much room for error. Miss by a half-inch, and you can top the ball or hit it into the ground. You have to have hand-eye coordination to adjust to the ball's speed, and you have to see the rotation of the ball. Even if you miss by that little, you fail.

D: Hitting a baseball becomes even harder, when the pitchers mix in off-speed pitches, that throw off the batters timing. This makes it more hard to hit. Ted Williams famously said, "hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports"

E: Baseball is harder because with hitting a baseball you are reacting to something you have no control over. Such as the speed, location, and movement of the ball. Taking into account adverse conditions such as bad weather, poor visibility, and an umpire with a big strike

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 0 ch
mongeese

Con

My opponent claims that because it is difficult to hit a baseball, it is the hardest thing to do in sports. This is obviously not the case. To prove hitting a baseball to be the hardest thing to do, he has to demonstrate why every other thing one can do in sports is easier. Therefore, my opponent can't even affirm the resolution.

Under normal circumstances, at one spontaneous moment, a harder thing to do is sports is kicking making a 100-yard field goal.
People have hit baseballs. However, nobody has ever kicked a 100-yard field goal. The record is 70 yards [1].

Under normal circumstances, at one spontaneous moment, a harder thing to do is sports is running all around the bases.
Case in point, it is impossible to run around four bases in one spontaneous moment. An impossible action is obviously much harder than a performed action.

Under normal circumstances, at one spontaneous moment, a harder thing to do is sports is hitting a perfect serve.
A perfect serve is a serve that cannot possibly be returned, even by a person with superhuman reflexes, because it is stuck in the ground. This has never been done.

I have shown three things that are harder than hitting a baseball under normal circumstances, at one spontaneous moment. Therefore, the resolution is negated.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...(football)#Longest_field_goals
Flyinglow

Pro

My opponent states that hitting a 100 yard field goal is harder to do, than hitting a baseball. Well since there has never been a field goal attempted more than 70 yards away, this is clearly not a normal circumstance.

Then my opponent says, it is harder to run around the bases, because you can not do it spontaneously. Well since my opponent say's it is impossible, it does not comply with the resolution, since it is not spontaneous, therefore you can disregard this point.

Thirdly, my opponent goes on to say, that returning a perfect serve is harder to do. But my opponent states, " This has never been done." Therefore it is obvious that this is not a normal circumstance.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It has been , I have refuted all my opponent, "counter plans", and I prove that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. Also, you can extend what I say in my case, because my opponent did not attack it, and I will copy and paste it for you convince. Consider that a fastball thrown at 95-100 mph reaches home plate in about 0.4 seconds. Adair notes in his book that it takes 0.15 seconds for humans to voluntarily blink their eyes in response to visual signals. When a big-league fastball is on the way, you must do far more than just blink. You must swing the bat to precisely the right spot at precisely the right time. "If a person from another planet was told what's involved ... they would say it's impossible," says Porter Johnson, a physics professor at Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago.

My opponent can not make any new arguments in his last rebuttal, since I can not refute what will be said. If he does say anything new, I ask the voters will disregard that information.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CONCLUSION:
1) It has been seen that I have taken out all the con counter plans.
2) He does not attack my points, I must win.

0 charact
mongeese

Con

"My opponent states that hitting a 100 yard field goal is harder to do, than hitting a baseball. Well since there has never been a field goal attempted more than 70 yards away, this is clearly not a normal circumstance."
Many field goals have been attempted at more than 70 yards away. The only reason they are not recorded is because they all miss. Kicking a ball from 100 yards is just as normal as 70 yards.

"Then my opponent says, it is harder to run around the bases, because you can not do it spontaneously. Well since my opponent say's it is impossible, it does not comply with the resolution, since it is not spontaneous, therefore you can disregard this point."
The action itself is spontaneous. However, its spontaneousness makes it impossible as well, so hitting a baseball is much easier than running around the bases in zero seconds.

"Thirdly, my opponent goes on to say, that returning a perfect serve is harder to do..."
No, I said that serving the perfect serve is harder to do, because even though there are hundreds of serves in one match, turning one into a perfect serve is near-impossible. The only way is to get the ball stuck in a clay court's service box. Many have attempted it. Nobody has succeeded. There was one hoax, though.

"It has been , I have refuted all my opponent, 'counter plans'..."
False. You've only said that they aren't normal, even though people attempt them EVERY DAY.

"...I prove that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports."
Wrong. Re-read what I said last round.

"My opponent claims that because it is difficult to hit a baseball, it is the hardest thing to do in sports. This is obviously not the case. To prove hitting a baseball to be the hardest thing to do, he has to demonstrate why every other thing one can do in sports is easier. Therefore, my opponent can't even affirm the resolution."

This still extends here. The resolution cannot be affirmed. Vote CON.
Posted by Equinox 7 years ago
Equinox
Pro did not specify Major League Baseball in the resolution. I can hit baseballs all day long under normal circumstances while playing with my friends. It is a "normal" game of baseball.
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
C: Tie
S/G: Tie
A: Pro - I don't understand what happened here. Rather than provide actions that fit the resolution, Con started on about the impossible. His source said nothing about anyone ever attempting a 100 yard field goal (his only realistic contention), so I'm forced to assume it does not qualify as a normal circumstance. Had he made it 76 yards instead (the longest actual attempt), this vote would be different.
S: Con
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Kleptin, he later clarified "in sports," and I acknowledged it.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 7 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
This is DDO. For most of us geeks normal circumstance and being outside contradict Kleptin.
Posted by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
I like semantic arguments, but this was a bad one. "Normal" refers to the circumstances around the action occurring, not the action.

Being on a baseball field with a bat is an ABNORMAL circumstance. This should be referring to when you are walking on the street and a baseball flies at you.

I would argue that you could hit it with your hand, you can hit it with your grocery bags or with a textbook you're carrying, etc. You don't have to worry about posture or getting a home run or running bases. It's all about making contact with the ball.

If you ever encounter such a baseball flying at you, it is most likely thrown by a small child. It would not be going 100mph and there would be no home plate, no rules, no fouls, hitting it to the ground or topping it would not be a concern. The resolution clearly states that the action is HITTING the ball, not scoring a home run.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
It was aimed at the resolution title, not the addendum in the comments which I missed- stationary baseballs to hit are not a reality in the game itself.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Puck and Mongeese, why are you going for semantics arguments?

"An impossible action is obviously much harder than a performed action... A perfect serve is a serve that cannot possibly be returned, even by a person with superhuman reflexes, because it is stuck in the ground. This has never been done."

I mean come on.
Posted by Flyinglow 7 years ago
Flyinglow
well, now you cant say that, since it would be a new argument
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Did not think of that. Snap.

*slaps self on head
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
"Consider that a fastball thrown at 95-100 mph reaches home plate in about 0.4 seconds."

The resolution doesn't state the ball is moving. ^^
Vote Placed by Equinox 7 years ago
Equinox
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by Awed 7 years ago
Awed
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by mongoose 7 years ago
mongoose
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by SaintNick 7 years ago
SaintNick
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by mistavega 7 years ago
mistavega
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by Pikachu 7 years ago
Pikachu
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
FlyinglowmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
FlyinglowmongeeseTied