top_contributor
Lightkeeper

Underweight Models Should Be Banned

Lightkeeper

top_contributor

Pro

Underweight models should be banned for the following reasons:
*they are putting too much pressure on themselves to be thin enough for a photo shoot.
*Other people look up to these models and think that they have to be as thin as them.
*Underweight models make the thin people look fat and the fatter people look even worse to themselves.
*Underweight models can get extremely sick by not eating. they could develop bad sicknesses such as anorexia or bulimia.
*Underweight models can also develop other worse sicknesses like depression or anxiety.
Last of all underweight models are sickening and nobody wants to look at them.
Lightkeeper

Con

I thank my opponent for an opportunity to argue this exciting subject.

My opponent seeks to prove that underweight models should be banned. I oppose that resolution.

My opponent appears to misunderstand the very purpose of modelling.

A model's job is to demonstrate clothing (and other articles) to the public with a view to sell those articles.

The public consists of people of all phisiques. This includes underweight people just as much as it includes overweight people.

Therefore, there should be underweight models just as there should be overweight models. There should be models of all shapes and sizes.

Therefore underweight models should not be banned.

I am running out of characters in this very limited debate.
top_contributor

Pro

again i bring up that underweight models are a bad influence.

People can become very sick by losing so much weight.

It is also very sickening to see so very thin models. i am sure that people want to see healthy looking people on the front of a magazine.

Models have died because they have had sicknesses such as anorexia and bulimia. They can also come down with other sicknesses such as depression.

Underweight models are too unhealthy. Just eat as much as you want. You don't have to be so skinny. it does not make you prettier!!

By the Way sorry for making the number of characters too small. My bad!!!! :)
Lightkeeper

Con

Underweight models should not be banned.
I see my opponent's point but I contend that banning underweight people from modelling would not be fair. Banning overweight people from modelling would also not be fair.
The industry should encourage people of all shapes and sizes rather than aim for some sort of physical perfection in models.
I'm not saying that only underweight people should model. Nor that sickly undrweight people should.

In the end however it should be up to the industry. Banning people from a career path based on their physique is unacceptable, in my opinion.

I thank my opponent for this debate.
Posted by Meganrihanne1992x 7 years ago
Meganrihanne1992x
TO me there is no arguement
underwight models is a complete dispicable disgrace to the fashion industry, they are influencing young girls in a complete irrelevant way.

They are forced to diet and keep on tough schedules .
They should be models all shapes and sizes but there isnt
models range from size 0 to size 6
depending on country and eu sizes
Women ecspecially are put under preasure because what the indusrty is putting out is that only these skinny girls can wear materail like this, even if it is unintentional
( sorry for my bad grammar as keyboard is not v good )
there should be a stop to this !
Posted by scissorhands7 8 years ago
scissorhands7
Scissorhands as a cleaner and a respectable voter.

1. Agreement with before debate - I agreed with Con before the debate. The reason being that some models are naturally underweight.

2. I still hold the same agreement after the debate but only to a slight degree and depending on the cirumstances.

3. Better Conduct - It should be very obvious to anyone reading this debate that Con deserves points for his excellent conduct. He provided excellent ettiquette despite the extremely limited character limits. Pro also gets very poor conduct for not doing this, and for making the character limits so small.

4. Spelling and Grammar - A spellcheck in word suggests that both opponents made at least three errors however, Pro had many more errors than Con. Therefore points go to Con. Make sure to use the spellcheck guys.

5. Convincing arguments- It was very hard to determine this because of the lack of character space. However I think Con made good arguments for not banning all underweight models.

6. Neither opponent used sources, therefore this is a tie.

Therefore a crushing victory for Con.
Posted by limevortex69 8 years ago
limevortex69
continuing what i was saying, your last statement, "Underweight models can get extremely sick by not eating. they could develop bad sicknesses such as anorexia or bulimia"

I definitely agree with the part that they can get these diseases,
but how would you know for sure if by banning underweight models, would stop them from being underweight? It also contradicts you're third statement, where when I said in the previous comment, "In optimism the underweight model, could make the person feel they are at the doctor recommended weight rather than being underweight? how are the underweight models MAKING people look fatter and in who's perspective(s)?Is it really necessary to ban someone because contradicting perspectives occured within weight?" These health risks that may be something an Underweight model can get, could show someone not that they are fat, but rather they aren't in the likely hood of getting these disorders or diseases. It could show that Not being an underweight model, I'm probably not going to get these sicknesses. But to contradict myself in the second statement stated below|||| If people want to be as thin as Underweight models, then they can. The ammendments in the U.S for example give people the right to do so. To be thin is entirely up to the certain people that want to be. I mean, it would be different if it was someone who didn't want to be thin but ended up being thin only because he or she looked at an Under weight model? If it is something that the person couldn't control...like for example accidental conflicts...you can be a victim, you can also not have controlled it at the time. you may have not wanted to be in this conflict, but it may have been preventable ( Of course this example only applies to the preventable accidents).
Going back to the first statement, If the underweight model thinks they are getting too much pressure, then they will quit to their desire...in other words it shouldn't really be my choice to ban the person.
Posted by limevortex69 8 years ago
limevortex69
whoever said this:
"Underweight models should be banned for the following reasons: *they are putting too much pressure on themselves to be thin enough for a photo shoot. *Other people look up to these models and think that they have to be as thin as them. *Underweight models make the thin people look fat and the fatter people look even worse to themselves. *Underweight models can get extremely sick by not eating. they could develop bad sicknesses such as anorexia or bulimia. *Underweight models can also devel..."
1, I don't know whether a certain portion of Underweight models are being specified to this topic. When whoever said, "They" are putting too much pressure on themselves...etc...how can I say all, some or even none of these models agree with this statement? maybe "they" dont feel much pressure...or maybe even any at all.

2, "other people look up to these models and think that they have to be as thin as them." to be specific, what percentage of people? I can't say whether this could be a strong point or not because I don't know what approximated # "Other" means. Because you said "other" that means as opposed to another group of people who DON'T think they have to be as thin as them". That number of people aren't known either.

3, *Underweight models make the thin people look fat and the fatter people look even worse to themselves. Can you say all thin people? do you mean thin people in your definition and perspectives, or people that openly said that they are thin? Same thing with fatter people. Also, nobody "MAKES" people think they look fatter, unless if you mean that the Underweight models actually force people to believe you're fatter. In optimism the underweight model, could make the person feel they are at the doctor recommended weight rather than being underweight? how are the underweight models MAKING people look fatter and in who's perspective(s)?Is it really necessary to ban someone because contradicting perspectives occured within weight?
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
I realise that some men find overweight women attractive, but like paedophiles, necrophiliacs and gays, they are in the minority.

It is healthier for women to be nice and slim rather than fat and ugly and let's face it, down on the beach, how many blokes would step over some svelte stunner to get to a girl who looks like a pig wearing a bikini?

I hope that this comment doesn't sound sexist in any way. :P
Posted by constitutionfirst 8 years ago
constitutionfirst
"eat as much as you want"

heart disease is the leading cause of death in America. (http://www.cdc.gov...) and obesity severely reduces life expectancy and is aproaching the leading preventable cause of death (http://www.doctorslounge.com...)
Just as with undereating, overeating leads to depression and diseases. if you modified your debate to make it so that everyone should be the appropriate BMI for their build it might have held more weight.

you are very misguiding by saying people should just eat what they want. It is an irresponsible argument and quite frankly deadly.
Posted by constitutionfirst 8 years ago
constitutionfirst
You contradict yourself by saying that people want to be like them and then saying nobody wants to look at them
Posted by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
All points ties except Most Convincing Argument, which I gave to CON. Although I *kind of* agreed with PRO before the debate, mainly in the sense that the current corporate-sponsored societal standard of beauty that is portrayed by models - skin and bones, and usually an angry/apathetic facial expression - is unhealthy for them and unfortunate for society. However, they should not be banned. I suppose some people like them, and the agencies and companies that hire them can hire whoever they want. It's their business, literally. The models also take the risks of their own accord; if a person is stupid enough to become anorexic/bulemic, it's on them.
Posted by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
NO NO NO, how can you even saw that without getting struck by lighting TC.

Tsk, tsk, shame on you.
Vote Placed by tmf_luvs_debate 8 years ago
tmf_luvs_debate
top_contributorLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by constitutionfirst 8 years ago
constitutionfirst
top_contributorLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
top_contributorLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by mastajake 8 years ago
mastajake
top_contributorLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by lenorenomore 8 years ago
lenorenomore
top_contributorLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
top_contributorLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
top_contributorLightkeeperTied