Unguarded borders in the US
Debate Rounds (4)
2. National Security- With ISIS on the rise and with Islamic terrorism on the rise, we can not leave our borders open for anybody to come in.
3. The economy- Too many Americans need jobs. Adding more people to a country with such high unemployment is a bad idea.
4. Its in the US's best interest to uphold the rule of law. Coming here illegally is a felony. It is to our benefit if everybody knows the US takes crime seriously.
- Closing borders may indeed prevent diseases spreading faster, but they also limit travel from and into the US, and reduce national profit from tourism.
- Closing borders will not prevent ISIS from entering the US. ISIS has already entered the US.
- Immigration does not consume jobs. Americans do not need to struggle to find jobs. All immigrants do is partly create jobs.
- Having soldiers stationed on all coasts and borders will give the appearance of the US being militaristic.
banjos42 forfeited this round.
-ISIS has already entered the US: Even if that's true, That doesn't mean should make it easy for more terrorists to come in.
-Immigration allows for immigrants to compete with Americans for jobs, which are already hard to find.
If the immigrants don't get a job, than they are added to the millions of unemployed people, which without question is bad for the economy.
-Lastly, the US should appear militaristic, as we are a force for good in the world and countries should respect us an our capabilities. But, I don't even think a guarded border gives that appearance
To your second point- It isn't as if we guard our borders with guns or walls is going to make a change. Terrorists aren't going to charge all at once, in a ship charging the shore. They will come legally, and be unnoticed.
To your third point- It has become quite hard for immigrants to come to america. Isn't that what the US is about? The land of opportunity? Coming here illegally is one of the only things immigrants can do, with the lack of visas. The US economy is about competition.
I am almost out of room here. Appearing militaristic is terrible. We say N Korea is terrible, but what will others think when we do this?
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.