banjos42
cads

Unguarded borders in the US

banjos42

Con

It is better for the US to guard our borders (specifically our southern one.) We should make a wall and/or have soldiers stationed along our border. The opponent should argue that it is better for the US not to protect our border.
cads

Pro

Although I do not agree with what I am debating, I will give it a try. Good luck, I will allow you to post your argument first.
banjos42

Con

1. With unsecured borders we are more prone to diseases coming in.
2. National Security- With ISIS on the rise and with Islamic terrorism on the rise, we can not leave our borders open for anybody to come in.
3. The economy- Too many Americans need jobs. Adding more people to a country with such high unemployment is a bad idea.
4. Its in the US's best interest to uphold the rule of law. Coming here illegally is a felony. It is to our benefit if everybody knows the US takes crime seriously.
cads

Pro

Thank you for allowing me to debate in this topic.

- Closing borders may indeed prevent diseases spreading faster, but they also limit travel from and into the US, and reduce national profit from tourism.
- Closing borders will not prevent ISIS from entering the US. ISIS has already entered the US.
- Immigration does not consume jobs. Americans do not need to struggle to find jobs. All immigrants do is partly create jobs.
- Having soldiers stationed on all coasts and borders will give the appearance of the US being militaristic.
http://www.factcheck.org...
banjos42

Con

banjos42 forfeited this round.
cads

Pro

Con has forfeited. Vote Pro.
banjos42

Con

-To your first point: I'm not saying close off the borders completely. I'm saying lets have border security. Tourists from other countries that want to come here legally, can do so.

-ISIS has already entered the US: Even if that's true, That doesn't mean should make it easy for more terrorists to come in.

-Immigration allows for immigrants to compete with Americans for jobs, which are already hard to find.
If the immigrants don't get a job, than they are added to the millions of unemployed people, which without question is bad for the economy.

-Lastly, the US should appear militaristic, as we are a force for good in the world and countries should respect us an our capabilities. But, I don't even think a guarded border gives that appearance
cads

Pro

To your first point- Granted. That has already happened. What you want is already here. So what are you debating for?

To your second point- It isn't as if we guard our borders with guns or walls is going to make a change. Terrorists aren't going to charge all at once, in a ship charging the shore. They will come legally, and be unnoticed.

To your third point- It has become quite hard for immigrants to come to america. Isn't that what the US is about? The land of opportunity? Coming here illegally is one of the only things immigrants can do, with the lack of visas. The US economy is about competition.

I am almost out of room here. Appearing militaristic is terrible. We say N Korea is terrible, but what will others think when we do this?
Posted by cads 2 years ago
cads
Yeah. I like around 3000 characters. It is pretty good.
Posted by banjos42 2 years ago
banjos42
I also ran out of characters on the last round. I didn't want it to be too detailed of a debate, just basic arguments. Turns out 750 characters is pretty low.
Posted by cads 2 years ago
cads
Oh! I read the question as guarded borders. Alright, that makes sense. Good luck.
Posted by banjos42 2 years ago
banjos42
Because I am against unguarded borders.
Posted by cads 2 years ago
cads
Also, why the hell are you con?
Posted by cads 2 years ago
cads
Yeah. I actually agree with you, as guarded borders would be a good choice for America, but your way of guarding them would not be good with media, and are far too inefficient. I also ran out of characters last round.
Posted by banjos42 2 years ago
banjos42
Actually what I want is not here. There are mile and miles of unguarded border.
Posted by cads 2 years ago
cads
It is okay, just don't miss the next one.
Posted by banjos42 2 years ago
banjos42
Shoot! Missed the deadline..