DJB360
debate250

Uniform should be banned in australia

debate250

DJB360

Pro

School uniforms should be abolished because they are impractical for modern-day society. For many years, school uniforms have been worn by students in schools throughout Australia. The problem of wearing school uniforms is that most school parents waste a lot of money purchasing them. Children of school age tend to grow very fast; this results in having to constantly replace uniforms. Additionally, the fabric used to make the uniforms can become quite uncomfortable and affect classroom concentration. School uniforms are not used as often as casual clothes in times like weekends, holidays and formal situations.

One of the major causes of money wasting is from the purchasing of school uniforms. Uniforms cost a lot because the majority of parents have to buy a set of winter, summer and sport uniforms for their children. They also waste money when children grow older, thus making them have to buy new sets of uniforms every so often. In some cases, when a few children do not have any uniforms the right size for them, they have to get one especially made for them which makes the cost even higher. Uniforms can also be a problem when private schools purchase uniforms for their students; as a result the school may raise its fees for parents.

A dilemma with uniforms is that often schools are unaware on how uncomfortable they are for students and its impact on the student's health. School uniforms are pretty uncomfortable when the weather or the seasons change, causing the student to be either too hot or too cold, therefore a handful of students will lose concentration in class. Also school uniforms harm the body when they are too cold or far too hot which results in sicknesses and absences. When a small proportion of students start to dislike their uniforms, they may abuse or destroy their own uniforms.

One of the major problems of school uniforms is the lack of use of them. School uniforms are dissipating given that casual clothes are used more often as school uniforms. Almost everyone wouldn't wear uniforms on the streets, weekends, holidays or on formal times. Instead, a high percentage of people would wear casual clothes for these times. Subsequently, uniforms aren't as useful as casual clothes, meaning uniforms should be abolished.
Alternate view:
A problem with school uniforms is the rate on how comfortable they are. Uniforms are usually either too hot or too cold; as a result students will lose concentration during class, become sick or absent. In some cases, uniforms can be bought for different seasons or climates making it more comfortable and stress free.
debate250

Con

The first problem with my opponent's debate is that they pointed out that uniforms can be bought for different seasons. This means that the student's wouldn't get sick. If they are made for different seasons and if they are designed well then there is not going to be any problem. As long as school's design their uniforms well, then there is no problem with that.
Another one of my opponent's arguments is how much money school uniforms cost. However what their not considering is that many of the schools that wear school uniforms are private schools. The people who go to these schools have a lot of money, so school uniforms would be relatively inexpensive. Even if a family doesn't earn a lot of money and is required to buy a school uniform it's still worth the cost.
Finally I'd like to discuss the advantages of school uniforms and say why it's worth that cost. School uniforms bring together the school as a community. They show that everyone is from that school, and it's a way of being brought together. It is very important for this, and it can indirectly make a community closer. Secondly it helps prevent bullying for clothes. There are about 3,892,000 bullies in the United States. One of the big reasons bullying occurs is because of clothes, and school uniforms help prevent this bullying. If a family doesn't earn that much, then they are likely not to be able to afford nice clothes and as a result be bullied. It's better to spend money on a school uniform than to get bullied every day that you walk into school. The final reason school uniforms are good are that on school trips it helps to identify people. If there is no uniform, there is a much greater chance that children could get lost especially when they are young. Overall uniforms are essential to unite a community, prevent bullying, and make sure children to get lost.
Overall uniforms are necessary in Australia or any other country. They can be made to be comfortable, and often aren't that hard to afford for the families that require them. Also the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages as school uniforms could help prevent bullying, bring a community together, and stop children getting lost. This quote shows how the advantages really help improve the lives of students. A Middle School student in Hoover Middle School said, "The uniforms, in my opinion, are a good idea. They are very professional looking, they are cheaper than buying clothes every week and they show school spirit. This also means we don't have to worry much about how we look. I also think that uniforms have reduced peer problems. People have more friends that they wouldn't normally have because of the way they dress" (Hoover Middle School student). Overall school uniforms are a good idea in Australia and all countries and have many more advantages than disadvantages.
DJB360

Pro

DJB360 forfeited this round.
debate250

Con

Since my opponent forfeited the last round, I do not have a lot that I wish to say for this round. However, I would simply like to restate some of my main points and say why uniforms should continue in Australia and all other countries.

Firstly, uniforms really do help to unite a school community. Someone you barely know who walks past you and has the same uniform makes you feel as if you have a common connection to them. It helps make people feel like they are involved in a special place. It makes them feel more comfortable in their daily environment because of this. Secondly it can help prevent bullying because of clothes. If everyone has the same clothes, there can be no bullying about who has better clothes. This can help people feel a lot better about themselves and focus more on their work if they're not getting bullied. Finally, if uniforms are made well, they can be comfortable. The cost isn't that expensive and it is definitely worth it for these three positive factors. Overall, school uniforms can help unite a community, stop bullying, and be made comfortable, and because of this uniforms should not be stopped.

I look forward to seeing my opponent's rebuttals to my argument the next round and seeing their opinion on this subject matter.
DJB360

Pro

DJB360 forfeited this round.
debate250

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited two rounds I will keep this short and do a rebuttal to my opponent's opening argument that I haven't made before.
In my opponent's opening statement they said that uniforms aren't casual clothes and therefore, aren't useful. However, in society people don't only wear casual clothes. There are formal occasions such as formal dinners where casual clothes wouldn't be appropriate. School and work is another place where casual clothes would be inappropriate as it's a work environment. You don't necessarily need to wear a uniform down the street daily for it to be a useful item of clothing. Also, uniforms bring all of the other benefits I mentioned in my previous argument like stopping bullying, identifying kids to stop them getting lost, and uniting students at that school. Overall, I think uniforms are still important in today's society and should not be banned in Australia or any other country.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
DJB360debate250Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit