PatrickSawyer
Silentsvc

United Pentecostal Church heresy

PatrickSawyer

Pro

I would like to argue from the stance that the United Pentecostal Church, or how I will be referring to them as the UPC, is an organization that stands in direct contradiction the Gospel, the death Burial and resurrection, of Jesus Christ.

The person who accepts this challenge will obviously be defending the UPC. That all their rules and regulations when it comes to women and their hair, their skirts, and men and their hair are biblical truths. You will have to prove how all these rules coincide with the message of grace.

Silentsvc

Con

Thank you for the oppurtunity to discuss this

In the following debate I will prove that the UPC, as a denomination, does not stand in direct contridiction to the Gospel, the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

It can be reasonably assumed that the Pro here is arguing from a standpoint that the doctrines of the church regarding among other things appearance are the root of the argument and do not coincide with the Gospel message.
In order to do that we must cite the actual doctrine of the UPC or by its offical name the Unitied Pentecostal Church, International. from thier website: http://www.upci.org...
(the following are excerpts only, i recommend reading it in its entirety)

(section on Doctrine)
Another erroneous assumption is that there is little connection between belief and conduct. To the contrary, inadequate or false views will definitely affect our choices and actions. The more we assimilate divine principles, the more Christ-like we will become in daily life.
The way to attain maturity in the faith is to have a balance of doctrine and spirituality. We must be zealous to hear, read, and study God’s Word, and we must be equally zealous to pray, worship God, and have fellowship with one another.

Here we see that the doctrine states that there is a connection between belief and conduct. This is reasonable and not in contrast to the gospel message. (John 14:15-If you love me, you will obey my commands.)

(Section on Salvation)
Salvation is by grace through faith and not by human works (Ephesians 2:8-9). The doctrine of grace means that salvation is a free gift from God, which humans cannot merit or earn; in other words, salvation is God’s work in us. The atoning death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ have made this gift available.

What we see here is that the UPCI acknowledges that the status of salvation is faith and not works, and found in Christ and not in doctrine

(Section on A life of Holiness)
Holiness is both inward and outward. (See I Corinthians 6:19-20; II Corinthians 7:1; I Thessalonians 5:23.) Thus, it encompasses thoughts and attitudes as well as conduct, speech, amusements, and dress. The practices of holiness separate us from the world’s value system, namely, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (I John 2:15-17).
Holiness is not a means of earning salvation but a result of salvation. We do not manufacture our own holiness, but we are partakers of God’s holiness (Hebrews 12:10). We are not saved by adherence to certain rules but by our faith relationship with Jesus Christ, which issues forth in obedience and produces spiritual fruit....Holiness extends to outward appearance and dress. (See Deuteronomy 22:5; I Corinthians 11:13-16; I Timothy 2:8-10.) Biblical principles here include (1) modesty, (2) avoidance of personal ornamentation (ornamental jewelry and makeup), (3) moderation in cost, and (4) distinction between male and female in dress and hair. Women are to let their hair grow long instead of cutting it, while men are to cut their hair noticeably short.

This is truly the section in question, the UPCI clearly states here that Holiness is not a means of salvation but a result. they also state clearly that one cannot be saved by adherance to these rules stated in this section but by Jesus Christ. The Pro has stated in his argument that these are contradictory, meaning against salvaion and that is simply not true, even to the UPCI. What is seen here is an interpretation of Holiness, not salvation which are two seperate issues the Pro has tried to join these two import but SEPERATE theological doctrines. The issue is interpretation of scripture, extreme compliance is not heresy. Therefore the UPCI and its rules on dress and appearance are not in opposition to grace, they are a conservative interpretation at worst.

Thank you and I yield the floor to my brother in Christ

PatrickSawyer

Pro

PatrickSawyer forfeited this round.
Silentsvc

Con

I will only re emphasize that the churches opinion on dress does not mean the church doesn't have grace. It simply means they may take a more conservative view of dress than other denominations.
PatrickSawyer

Pro

PatrickSawyer forfeited this round.
Silentsvc

Con

I will yield the floor in hopes my colluege will reply
PatrickSawyer

Pro

PatrickSawyer forfeited this round.
Silentsvc

Con

unfortunately it appears this debate is over
PatrickSawyer

Pro

PatrickSawyer forfeited this round.
Silentsvc

Con

Silentsvc forfeited this round.
Posted by PatrickSawyer 3 years ago
PatrickSawyer
I would gladly accept this. Looking forward to it.
Posted by Silentsvc 3 years ago
Silentsvc
I am not UPC, nor do I agree with thier stance but I would love to debate from the perspective that these do not affect the message of grace. Would this be acceptable?