DebateTime
Nathaniel2840

United States of America should lower its drinking age to 18?

DebateTime

DebateTime

Pro

There has been a lot of debate when it comes to the legal drinking age here in US. When it comes to law, there is always an opinion, some are for it and some are against. When it comes to the legal drinking age being 21 we are totally against it. Legal drinking age varies by country. Lets see some of the reasons as to why we think the legal drinking age in US should be 18 and not 21. We will start out with the one that almost everyone against the law seems to talk about.

1

An 18 year old in US has the right to vote, and serve in the military. If an 18 year old can make up their mind as to who the potential leader of the country should be and take a bullet for their country, they should have every right to purchase and drink alcohol.

2

It is usually said that an 18 year old has less tolerance as compared to a 21 year old. Although this might be true, in most cases you don"t really know how much you can handle as long as you try it out. Tolerance doesn"t come with age, tolerance come with realization of responsibility and there are people that are more responsible at 15 than some are at 50.

3

Anyone under 21 sees alcohol as a "forbidden fruit." The curiosity leads to more people under the age of 21 drinking anyway. If drinking is made legal for the 18 and older, it will serve much better as the curiosity isn"t as high and the fruit isn"t forbidden anymore.

4

When in college most students under the age of 21 can get hold of drink through their seniors. They are not allowed to drink at events where others might be able to drink. This once again makes them want to be a rebel and try out what it is they are being kept away from. They will give it a shot. The fact that they don"t know when they will be able to drink again is the reason most college students tend to get overly drunk when they get a chance. As a result there are problems as serious as deaths.

5

Countries such as Italy, China, Greece are some of the countries where the legal drinking age is lower and they seem to have fewer alcohol related problems. Current law in terms of legal drinking age has caused more alcohol related deaths than there has ever been.

6

When drinking is made legal for anyone under the age of 21 and over 18, drinking takes place in public. It can then be supervised by police, security guards and health workers as well.

7

Colleges and Universities often argue that the legal drinking age should be 18 because outlawing alcohol consumption in colleges for those under 21 is making the problem worse. These colleges and universities say that allowing alcohol consumption legally might help cut down alcohol related deaths in colleges.

8

People under the age of 21 tend to drink more when they get hold of alcohol because of the uncertainty as to when they might be able to drink again.

9

Whether the legal drinking age is 21 or 18, there are going to be problems related to alcohol. And making 21 the legal age to drink doesn"t solve that problem. As a matter of fact, this is one of the reason why we see so many alcohol related deaths among teens. They get their hands on alcohol and get overly intoxicated as they are never sure if they will have access to this forbidden fruit ever again until they are 21.

10

An 18 year old is considered an adult and can be tried in court if he makes false judgement and commits a crime. So an 18 year old is capable of making every other decision as an adult but is incapable of making a decision whether or not they should drink? The 21 year old age limit for alcohol consumption sounds somewhat hypocritical.

11

If you are legal to get married at the age of 18 and end up getting married, you are not allowed to drink in your own wedding? That doesn"t sound right

12

According to a study, 22% of all students under 21 compared to 18% over 21 years of age are heavy drinkers. Among drinkers only, 32% of under age compared to 24% of legal ager are heavy drinkers.

13

If the legal drinking age were to be 18, colleges would be able to regulate alcohol use so students don"t get overly intoxicated. They can be monitored whereas when they are hiding and drinking you can"t really go sniffing their cups or making false accusations.

14

Drinking under the age of 21 is seen by most 18 years and older as a sign of adulthood. They are allowed to do everything else and call themselves an adult and they don"t want to be stopped from being an adult when it comes to drinking.

15

We have tried prohibition legislation twice for controlling irresponsible drinking problems in the past. Once in 1850s and again in the 1920s. These laws were repealed because they could not be enforced and the backlash caused other societal problems. The law didn"t work then and as we all know isn"t working now. It"s time for a change.
Let"s take a look at 4 scenarios. There are 3 people in a family. Dad, mom and son John Doe. Here is a conversation between them :

Scenario 1

Mom : John now that you are out of high school, what do you plan on doing? College?

John : Actually I am thinking of joining the military.

(John is old enough to make a decision and enlist in the army)

Scenario 2

Dad : Hey John, you are 19 years old. Don"t you think its time you get an apartment or something?

John Doe : Yeah, I am looking.

(John is an adult and families have a conceived notion that once kids are over 18, they should move on with their own lives and get on their foot)

Scenario 3

John : Hey mom, dad. I have been seeing this girl for 4 years and I think I want to marry her.

Mom : You can"t marry now. You are only 19!

John Doe : I would hate to go against your wish but I am an adult and I have the right to marry if I want. Besides she is pregnant.

(John is an adult and yes he does have the right to marry and make that decision)

Scenario 4

Mom : John, I don"t appreciate you drinking before you are 21.

(Drunk) John Doe : Whatever mom. I am an adult and I am going to do whatever I want.

(John is a rebel and feels his adulthood is in stake by not having the opportunity to make his own decision on whether or not he should drink. Result : family tension, underground drinking, drinking problems. This leads to one problem after another and in worst case alcohol related death)

Well, that"s a great law! He is an adult enough to move out, marry against his parents will and yes enlist in the army. But he isn"t old enough to drink? You decide.
Sources: http://www.cognac.com...
Nathaniel2840

Con

In this speech, I would like to go over my opponent's prolonged case and then introduce my own incisive case. So to initiate this, let me respond to my opponents arguments.

1

Indeed, an 18 year old does have the right to vote, to serve in the military, to own a car, and practically be an adult. however, that does not show that they are mature, that they are responsible, that they are not drug addicts, that they are not abusive. No matter what you are, you will turn 18. So yes, of course 18 year olds can do all these things, but that does not mean that they are mature. Alcohol is a big issue, it can cause many big issues, such as death, rape, murder, crime, felonies, breech of the peace, and ultimately cause some form of destruction. We need to be careful when dealing with Alcohol.

2

Tolerance does not come with age, that is exactly correct. That is why so many people at the age of 21 and 30 and up are SO IMMATURE. Age means nothing. the less time they have to realize their responsibility, the less of a chance they will be mature. Again, alcohol is very important and we need to take more precautions than we are now.

3
okay so yes, you are correct, 18 year olds are curious, just because they can't have it. As soon as we lower it down to where 18 year olds can drink, 16 and 15 YEAR OLDS WILL WANT IT. We can't lower it, because then even YOUNGER people will be drinking alcohol.

4
you are correct again, as soon as we allow 18 year olds to drink, then 16 year olds and younger will want to rebel.

5

I am afraid your evidence is false. In greece, china, and italy, alcohol violence is a huge problem, bigger than the United States. Oxford journal

6

true once again, and then 16 year olds will start drinking in private. Plus, there are not enough police, or health workers to be in every public drinking place.

7
as soon as alcohol is allowed in colleges, the violence in the schools goes up. It is a proven fact that if people are drunk, then they have a signifigatly larger chance of commiting a crime.

8

so when it is legalized, they will be able to drink more consistently, causing violence more often.

9

if the legal drinking age is 18, then we will have more problems. More people will be able to drink more often, more bottles, resulting in more "drunkness" causing more violence.

10

just because he can be tried in court doesn't mean we should just be helping crimes!

11

if it stops crimes honestly we shouldn't give a ****

12

that would just encourage 18 year olds to drink MORE consuming MORE alcohol ensuring MORE violence.

13
that is incorrect colleges can only do so much monitoring. If they want alcohol, they will get alcohol.

14

so they are adults? that does not mean they are responsible enough to drink alcohol

15

I am not talking about prohibition, I am only talking about not allowing under 21 to drink alcohol. It is time for a change, but not a change for MORE violence, but a change for LESS of it.

Scenario 1

Mom: John now that you are out of high school, what do you plan on doing? College?

I think i want a brand new tv, so I am going to go steal one. (This is a common scenario believe it or not. This proves that even tho he is old enough to join the army, he is not mature. We should not give alcohol to this guy.)

Scenario 2

Dad: Hey John, you are 19 years old. Don't you think its time you get an apartment or something?

John Doe: Yeah I killed someone and got their house. (Not cool)

Scenario 3

John: Hey mom, dad. I have been seeing this girl for 4 years and I think I want to marry her.

Mom: You can't marry now. You are only 19!

John Doe: I would hate to go against your wish but I am adult and I have the right to marry if I want. Besides she is pregnant.

(John Doe is not responsible enough to tell his parents about sex, pregnancy, etc.) he is not responsible enough for alcohol.

my point is this. The younger we allow people to legally drink, the younger violence is going to occur. We are just going to be creating violence.

I would like to mention health now. Dr. Stute Williams specifically says there is "worlds of change between the ages of 18 and the ages of 21 in metabolism" if there is so much change, then alcohol should not be exposed to an "undeveloped metabolism" This could cause injury or death. not good. the metabolisms of 18 year olds are not as strong as the metaboliasms of 21 year olds. Please vote with me in saying that the US should not lower drinking age to 18. We need to protect the next generation from injuries, from violence, and keep us and them safe. thank you!
DebateTime

Pro

At age 18, the kids -- wait, no, they're legally adults now -- can vote to change the law, and cannot drink because of the law. So, all these citizens go and break laws that they legally have the power to change. I'm a little confused here. Let's put this on the ballot at the next election, see how it turns out. This is a democracy, right? People drink under the age of 21 anyway. Matter of fact, one of the reasons people drink who are under 21 is just that; alcohol is shown as a godly object only attainable by their elders, and because of this, it's understandable that they want to drink. They want to have a mature thing in their life. Simply limiting it for older people is not solving the problem. Educate them. Why is it that countries like Germany and the UK have lower drinking age laws, yet fewer alcoholic related deaths/injuries? It's because their young adults are more educated and have more sense about it then people in the U.S. The drinking age should be lowered because teens drink anyway. Also if a young adult is going off to fight a war he should be able to have a drink with friends and family. You can purchase a rifle at the age of 18 but not alcohol. That does not make sense. People can control themselves, so don't blame raps, etc on alcohol. It's the mentally ill who would do such a thing, but that's not alcohol's fault, it's the person and their brain.
Nathaniel2840

Con

Yes, kids, or adults, that are 18 years of age can vote. They can get into the army, they can drive, and yet they can not drink. But a year is a year. You will grow older physically no matter how old you grow mentally. (Maturity) Just because you are old enough to vote does not mean you are mature. Just because they are 18 years of age, does not mean that they are mature enough to not abuse their privilege to drink. My point is this. So they can vote, and get drafted? So what? that does not make them mature or responsible enough to not commit crimes when under influence of alcohol. Yes people drink under the age of 21. Legalizing this will just make MORE people do this MORE often. If it is legal, then they will want to drink more of it, because they know that they can't get in trouble for drinking. Germany and the UK have a lot less population than the US. You say that we should legalize it just because they will drink anyway. OK! then since murders in the U.S. will happen whether we legalize them or not, we should legalize murder. Your logic is flawed. People can not control themselves when under a certain amount of alcohol. Some alcohol will make you want more, and than more will make u uncontrollable. yes it is the mentally ill, but statistics reveal that drunk people cause a decent amount of violence too. Dr. Greenfield studied and noted that

80% of rape is caused by alcohol influence
50% of child abuse is caused by alcohol influence

Along with more statistics, this reveals that alcohol is a big problem, and we are only making more people use it more often.

Thanks!
DebateTime

Pro

Let the record show that my country (United Kingdom) is mature whilst the country of America fails to educate their people in the name of laziness and American ignorance. Let the record also that Nathaniel2840 thinks alcohol is the blame for the crimes, I ask for people to vot for pro and educate your kids how to drink responsible. You can become a soldier at 18 and die for your country, but cannot enjoy a beer or alcoholic drink responsibly until your 21? If someone can join the U.S military at the age of 18, and receive training to become a soldier and potentially die for their country. Why can they not have the right to drink? Why is it that soldiers under 21 are permitted to wield the deadliest weapons at the military's disposal, and are given the responsibility to use them in a manner designated by a commanding officer, and could be told to move out onto the front lines and be killed in a fire fight. But yet, it is still unlawful for them to have any alcohol. If your old enough to have the right to be allowed to die for your country, you must be old enough to be considered an adult who is capable of making your own decisions, which is why you should be considered old enough to be able to have a drink in a responsible manner. I mean theirs not much to argue, this is an embarrassment. This is only shows how empathic this country is. Many Americans believe a misinterpreted study that the brain is not fully competent till 25. The study restrained teens and adults to an MRI and researchers had them perform a task and, whilst teens and adults performed EQUALLY WELL, they both used different parts of their brains in the task. They failed to explain WHY? The brain is influenced by experience and outside factors and teens have different influences then adults with school system and having parents in their lives. It's usually fully competent around 12-15 and continues to develop throughout life, not till 25. In Europe drinking is no big deal. I don't get on my face wasted because there's no mystery to it. I now live in the US and kids here want to get as drunk as possible because of the mystery. Alcohol is no big deal and it's time it was viewed that way. WAKE UP!
Nathaniel2840

Con

Oh really now? You are talking from the country that rarely gives homework, that grades average at 80%, while the average grade in the US is 90%! You are also saying that the UK "educates their kids properly to where they dont rebel" GUESS WHAT? The terrorist groups behind the biggest terrorist attack in the world (9/11) were educated properly in school! The reason so many people joined the cause was because they were under the influence of alcohol! NO DUH YOU CAN BECOME A SOLDIER WHEN YOUR 18. SHUT UP ABOUT THAT. JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN JOIN THE ARMY DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE. AND GUESS WHAT MR.? The army checks their soldiers with intensive background checks. A lot of the soldiers that try to get in are incompetent, immature, and not responsible. Another thing. They don't allow alcohol in the army! alcohol is completely irrelevant to this situation. Hear me out: most people under 21 are not WAY immature. Most people under 21 are not so immature that they would go shoot someone. But that is not the point. As soon as we legalize alcohol consumption to kids under 18, then they will start drinking alcohol more. The more alcohol consumption, the bigger chance of violence. All it takes is one or two people seriously on alcohol, to create huge violence

application: Boston bombing
two people on alcohol killed dozens

thats my point

and BTW MR. You dropped my argument about metabolism, and therefore I win that argument

YOU WAKE UP
DebateTime

Pro

'The terrorist groups behind the biggest terrorist attack in the world (9/11) were educated properly in school! The reason so many people joined the cause was because they were under the influence of alcohol!' Let the record show that this person is a complete idiot. 'You are talking from the country that rarely gives homework, that grades average at 80%, while the average grade in the US is 90%! You are also saying that the UK' Let the record show that this statement is false. 'NO DUH YOU CAN BECOME A SOLDIER WHEN YOUR 18. SHUT UP ABOUT THAT. JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN JOIN THE ARMY DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE' Let the record show that this person is disrespecting the soldiers. 'Hear me out: most people under 21 are not WAY immature.' Let the record show that this person doesn't know what he's talking about. 'As soon as we legalize alcohol consumption to kids under 18, then they will start drinking alcohol more.' Let the record show, considering he's an American republican, I quote what the republicans said "Gay marriage will lead to animals getting married" 'Most people under 21 are not so immature that they would go shoot someone. But that is not the point.' Let the record show that clearly I've made my point... Also 'The more alcohol consumption, the bigger chance of violence. All it takes is one or two people seriously on alcohol, to create huge violence' Let the record show that alcohol shouldn't be blamed here, if American parents and American schools would teach properly, then his statement wouldn't be correct, again, this is embarrassing. But back to what he said: 'You are also saying that the UK "educates their kids properly to where they dont rebel' Here's the difference: Students from the UK can move to the US to study a degree provided they have A-Levels, and are able to pass an American SAT test to be accepted into American universities. Fees for universities in the US can be extremely expensive, costing upwards of $30,000 which is equivalent to "19000.
There are four stages to the education system in the UK
#1. Primary School
Children attend here from the age of four until 11. These schools are usually mixed gender but some schools do have a religion based intake.
#2. Secondary School
Pupils transfer to secondary schools once they have finished primary school at the age of 11. Most secondary schools in England are comprehensive and do not operate a selective entrance system.
However, in some parts of England, a grammar school system also operates and pupils are usually required to pass an entrance examination based on their ability.
When a child reaches Year 9 (aged 13-14) during secondary school, they are required to choose which subjects they wish to study over the next two years until Year 11 (aged 15-16) for their GCSE exams. Maths, Science, English, PE and a foreign language such as French, plus many other subjects can be studied at GCSE Level.
#3. Further Education
This is for children between the age of 16 and 19 who wish to gain further qualifications after secondary school. Students usually study between three and four subjects for their A-Level exams. Subjects can include; English, Psychology, Physical Education and Media Studies plus many more.
Legislation passed in 2011 meant all young people are required to continue with some kind of education or training until 18. Young people aged 16 or 17 may be employed if they enter apprenticeship.
#4. Higher Education
This is for those pupils who wish to gain a degree or diploma in a specific subject area which they go on to study at university.
In the UK there are also private schools, which parents have to pay expensive fee"s to send their children to. Famous private school, Eton, currently charges "10,689 per term. There are three terms in a year. These schools have their own individual entrance criteria, with many having tough entrance exams in order to maintain high standards.
Teachers at private schools do not have to follow the National Curriculum, although many do, and the majority of students take GCSEs and A-Levels
The education system of the United States is very different to that in the UK
#1. Primary School
US children enter the schooling system at age five. The first year at school is called Kindergarten. It is required of all American children enrolled in the American education system. The second year at school is considered the first year of primary school and is referred to as first grade.

#2. Secondary School
Upon completion of fifth grade (the last year of primary school at age 10-11), American children then advance to secondary school.
Secondary school most commonly consists of a total of seven years, referred to as sixth through twelfth grades. The ninth, through twelfth grades, are most commonly referred to as high school.
Upon completion of twelfth grade (aged 17-18), American students are awarded a certificate called the high school diploma. In the American education system, students must obtain a high school diploma before they are admitted into college or university.

#3. Undergraduate school
Students who have completed high school and would like to attend college or university must attend what is referred to as an undergraduate school.
These are schools that offer either a two-year degree (called an associate degree) or a four-year degree (called a bachelor degree) in a specific area of study.
That area of study is called the major. All students who are studying for a four year degree are required to select (or declare) a major by their second year at school. Students who complete an associate degree can continue their education at a four-year school and eventually complete a bachelor degree.

#4. Graduate school
Students who have obtained a bachelors degree can continue their education by pursuing one of two types of degrees.
The first is a master"s degree. This is usually a two-year degree that is highly specialized in a specific field.
- See more at: http://www.buzzinbiz.com...
Sources: http://www.buzzinbiz.com...
So yes, we do teach properly. Thank you! My opponent can continue on trying to insult me, but the matter of the fact is, making something illegal hardly resolves anything.
Nathaniel2840

Con

Yay! we are now educated on the education systems of UK and the US. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with this resolution. It doesn't matter whether criminals are educated or not. Its all about if they consume alcohol in large amounts. My opponent stated my case and listed eduction systems. That was it! First of all, my opponent was not correct about the US education system.

Here is how it goes:

First school:
Kindergarten. They enter at age 4 or 5, learn how to talk, and read

Secondary school
Preschool. They enter at age 5 or 6 and finish learning how to read, talk, and some writing

Third school:
this is 1st through 5th grade, which is commonly called elementary school. This is where they learn the basics.

Fourth school:
This is 6th through 8th grade which is called middle school. This is where the basics are expounded on

Fifth school:
This is 9th through 12th commonly called high school. This is to prepare them for colleges

6th school:
This is college

BUT GUESS WHAT? this has nothing to do with ALCOHOL! I would like to present three voting issues why I should win the round.

1. Discipline. If we let adults under 21 start drinking, that will now make 16 and 17 year olds feel left out, and the possibility of drinking alcohol very close. they will think that the should give it a try. We can't have this happening.

2. Health. As Dr. Greenfield said, There is a large change in the metabolism between 18 year olds and 21 year olds. the metabolism is less developed in an 18 year old than that of a 21 year old. The metabolism of an 18 year old is not quite strong enough to handle alcohol/

3. Violence. It doesn't take hundreds or even dozens of people for violence to be a problem. It only takes one. One person high on alcohol could easily cause death and injury. Just one person. If we open alcohol consumption up to 18 year olds, then we just enlarged the chances. Not only are kids of 5 more years of age allowed to drink, but also the responsibility of typical 18 year old kids is smaller than that of a 21 year old

for all these reasons, please vote with me in saying the the United States should NOT lower its drinking age to 18
Posted by Tr0ll 3 years ago
Tr0ll
DebateTime - you don't have any counter points so you resort to name calling.

If you are from the UK you should know that you have a better alcohol culture re parents actually teach there kids how to respect and drink alochol.

Sadly many Parents (not all) in the USA have failed to teach kids to respect alcohol thus the government had to step in.
Posted by TheInterlang 3 years ago
TheInterlang
It does make sense to lower the age to 18 or 16. An 18 year old can buy a can of WD-40 and drink it if he really wanted to, yet he can't have just one beer.

Germany: Drinking age-16, 10th place in science
US: Drinking age-21, 25th place in science.

Maybe the alcohol HELPS the brain develop?
Posted by TheInterlang 3 years ago
TheInterlang

Posted by Tr0ll 3 years ago
Tr0ll
I think you are missing the point.

In the USA buying alcohol is not a basic human right or a right at all. In the eyes of the USA it is basically a privilege. In the USA buying a car is legal but driving it on the street without the Privilege of a Drivers License is a illegal.

Additionally, alcohol is a controlled substance; this allows the US government to enforce regulation on purchasing, consumption, etc of that controlled substance. NYC local government has banned 2L soda bottles because it is unhealthy. Moreover, Alocool is a drug like cocain, exstacy, weed and in the united states it happens to be legal unlike the rest. The USA would have to open to the doors that states at 18 every legal and illegal drug can be had since you can vote for democracy and join the military. This means that drugs that a doctors prescribe would be allowed without a prescription.

I think your heart it in the right place and the debate should really be to argue that the federal government should not hold tax incentives over states heads to enforce certain regulation. Additionally, each state should hold a vote and all the 18 year old can legally vote for it to pass.

This is a tired argument and please do more research before posting.
Posted by Tr0ll 3 years ago
Tr0ll
I think you are missing the point.

Posted by DebateTime 4 years ago
DebateTime
Tr0ll- Which is completely unconstitutional. If an 18 year old can take a bullet for their country and vote for who should the leader be of this country, then they sure as hell should have the right to purchase and drink alcohol.
Posted by Tr0ll 4 years ago
Tr0ll
1.What is your argument? Drinking under 18 has been forever legal in the United States of America. It is the purchases or public possession of alcoholic beverages.

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (23 U.S.C. " 158) was passed on July 17, 1984 by the United States Congress as a mechanism whereby all states would become thereafter required to legislate the age of 21 years as a minimum age for purchasing and publicly possessing alcoholic beverages. Under the Federal Aid Highway Act, a state with a minimum age below 21 would be subjected to a ten percent decrease in its annual federal highway apportionment.
Posted by DebateTime 4 years ago
DebateTime
ClassicRobert- Aye, I had to sort some things out lol x.
Posted by ClassicRobert 4 years ago
ClassicRobert
Lol hey you're back.
Vote Placed by johnnyvbassist 3 years ago
johnnyvbassist
DebateTimeNathaniel2840Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Terrible debate. Almost no sources cited. Horrible conduct by each. Con wins because he had more effect counters early on. Pro violated conduct first but unfortunately Con followed his footsteps.
Vote Placed by john.smith1 4 years ago
john.smith1
DebateTimeNathaniel2840Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Ok, yeah sure, pro is right, this law doesn't make sense.