ImAveryImme
dlu2012

United States should ban the death penalty

ImAveryImme

Pro

For who ever takes this challenge up I'm 12 so yeah..no name calling or cussing. (Ps don't be easy cuz I'm gonna debate my history teacher from last year and for UIL this year) :)
I think the United States should ban the death penalty because there are thousands of people wrongly sentenced. I think it's too easy because you just end their lives right there when the victims (of the crime) family is thinking day and night about it.
When people are wrongly sentenced die, days maybe years later if they find out that they didn't do it they have to tell the family they made a mistake.
It costs thousands of dollars to just kill them with appeals when that money could go to something else.
So first time doing this if anyone takes this up after they could give me some pointers :) thank you
By the way my wifi is down so I can't look up facts but I'm going to be writing a paper on this for fun so if you have facts please give them :D
dlu2012

Con

Hi and i accept your challenge. I am arguing that the United States should NOT ban the death penalty for these reasons
-Before they execute someone, a lot of research and planning is done
-They dont just kill someone with the snap of a finger
-Chances are if the United States needs to enact a DEATH penalty, then the criminal probably did something REALLY BAD.

*The caps are just for emphasis, not to be rude or mean.*

Ok, so starting off, you say that thousands of people are wrongly accused, yet you have no proof/sources. Also, your information is misleading, there have been 3 thousand people that have been executed over a period of 10 YEARS.
[http://www.guardian.co.uk...]. Next, you say that it is too easy for someone to get executed. That is completely false, if a person is getting a death penalty, then they did something really bad, such as kill 30 people. In that case, they SHOULD be executed. And no, they don't just say, "OK, i think you did something so im going to kill you. No, they spend weeks on weeks doing research on the crime scene analyzing data with multiple sources and multiple times. After all of the extensive research, if they come up with the conclusion that the person they have caught is indeed the criminal then they will confirm (double check the crime scene/check witnesses), if all of this holds true, then they will execute the death penalty. So no, they dont just kill someone on the spot. Moving on to your next argument, "When people are wrongly sentenced die, days maybe years later if they find out that they didn't do it they have to tell the family they made a mistake.", this argument is proved invalid because I just said that the chances of the government/state wrongly sentencing someone is very very meek. Next, you say that it will cost thousands of dollars to sentence someone. This is not true, for one point, if you are talking about the trial, the money spent is all private, the criminal (or victim) and lawyer pay for all of it. So no, there is not money wasted because no money is being spend by the feds. Extending that, if you are talking about the equipment that they need to kill the person, it is a one time fee, after they pay for it, they don't have to pay again. Also you said that the money saved could be spent on something else. I would like to bring up a point, the US in debt trillions of dollars, do you really think 1 thousand dollars is going to make a difference?

This next point is a question. If your WIFI is down as you say it is, then how are posting this debate?
ImAveryImme

Pro

ImAveryImme forfeited this round.
dlu2012

Con

1) My partner forfeited this round.

2) Vote Con.
ImAveryImme

Pro

ImAveryImme forfeited this round.
dlu2012

Con

My Partner forfeited

Vote con