Spinagins
BobTurner

Universal Health care

BobTurner

Spinagins

Pro

First off, my friend and I are using this poll for a project so please keep the language and the arguments clean.

We feel that universal health care is a necessity to all human-beings. Though we feel strongly about universal health care we would like to know the pros and cons of universal health care. We would greatly appreciate your help on determining why universal health care is or is not necessary.
BobTurner

Con

You should define "universal healthcare." The implicaiton is that you're referring to the Affordable Care Act, or a Canadian/European-style single-payer healthcare system.

Here's the problem with a universal, government-run system: rationing, long breadlines, and high costs. If you want high quality care, you need competition, and the only place to get competition is the free market. The reason health care is so expensive today is because of the heavy hand of government intervention.
Spinagins

Pro

I see how the quality of Health care would go down with today's budget. However I feel the quality could stay decent if we lowered spending on lets say the military, and raised taxes a bit, then sent that money to health care services. I don't think the people would mind spending a little more money on goods and services, if they knew the money was going towards making good health care available to all of the United States.
BobTurner

Con

The counter-argument that you'll hear to that is that the government will ration health care. Therefore, whether it has the money to spend is irrelevant, because the quality won't be nearly as good as it would have been in the private sector. Unlike the government which would have a monopoly, the private sector depends on competition and must respond to the demands of consumers.

Also, raising taxes and cutting the military is a whole other thing that we shouldn't get into, but I'll briefly comment on anyway. Raising taxes would destroy jobs, and cutting the military would harm military readiness.
Spinagins

Pro

Spinagins forfeited this round.
BobTurner

Con

Arguments dropped. Vote Con.
Posted by BobTurner 2 years ago
BobTurner
I have no problem with you posting your ideas, and certainly it will help Pro and his friend with their project. But why not debate me?
Posted by adhominem 2 years ago
adhominem
"my friend and I are using this poll for a project " sorry was just trying to help with the project im passionate about this subject
Posted by BobTurner 2 years ago
BobTurner
adhominem, you posted in the comment section in an attempt to disprove my argument -- which by the way, is against site rules -- and then declined my debate challenge. Why are you hiding behind the comment section?
Posted by adhominem 2 years ago
adhominem
In answer to con, I am a graduate of economics at one of the worlds top business schools. http://en.wikipedia.org... - the MBA program is ranked 1st in the world.

A little Market Theory - you have different types of market. Please understand the difference between monopolistic competition and oligopoly.

Monopolistic competition - in which there are many sellers producing highly differentiated products.
Oligopoly - in which there are few sellers of a product.

When defenders of private healthcare talk about the benefits of markets they are talking about the market as though it resembles "monopolistic competition" but this is not the case today. It is not true because the cost of being in the market is so high now, principally because of the equipment you need (e.g. MRIs), staff you need and also the legalislation and paperwork costs (which libertarian morons seize upon as if its the only thing).

Heres some info on the sort of equipment hospitals need - http://random-facts.top5.com...

So to be in the hospital game you need millions to invest and get started. This is why there are only a few players in the market (its an oligopoly).

Oligopolies are INEFFICIENT markets and often are better served by being run by the Government. Healthcare is a classic example. All the studies I have seen show American healthcare is terribly inefficient, according to this article in the Huffington Post American Health Care was 46 OUT OF 48!! Which means if all countries spent the same amount on healthcare, per person, America would have almost the worst healthcare in the world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Theres lots of studies that show this. Just Google "american healthcare inefficient"
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
SpinaginsBobTurnerTied
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
SpinaginsBobTurnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited last round.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
SpinaginsBobTurnerTied