ejphoenix
dude100

Universal Healthcare in America

dude100

ejphoenix

Con

Given that one of the largely talked about topics in recent political debates happens to be healthcare, I would like to debate the topic of whether or not America should adopt a universal healthcare system. I will be arguing the "con" side of this debate. If you accept the "pro" side, what would it take to convince you otherwise?

While I don't totally support our current healthcare system, I protest the idea of the U.S. adopting a socialized healthcare system. Already, the federal government takes out a large amount of money from citizens with taxes, and universalizing healthcare would most likely lead to an increase in taxes. Now, I am also not necessarily against a larger tax of any kind, but in most other cases, the money collected with taxes go towards our local police, our road repair and infrastructure, and so on; however, with this particular increase in taxes, the money collected will not go to anything that benefits my city or my country. The money collected will go towards getting unhealthy people wasted medical treatment.
Our country is generally one that maintains very unhealthy habits with eating, exercise, etc. In a universalized health care system, the money taken from me will be perpetuating these unhealthy habits, by momentarily fixing an issue. That money is completely wasted if that person or persons does not change their unhealthy habits.
dude100

Pro

This is a difficult topic for a variety of reasons because there are pros and cons to both sides. Ultimately the argument I would like to propose is the morality of the subject. The idea that all life is precious is a corny one, but one that I firmly believe in. I work in a hospital for a living and every single patient that I've ever met was either a nice person that didn't deserve to die, or a mean person that still didn't deserve to die, or even worse a maniac who's dangerous actions prove that they don't know any better. All people of this world are sick in the sense that something is bound to be wrong with them if not now then eventually, and when eventually comes wouldn't you like to guarantee that the future of your family's healthcare was safeguarded? The people whom I've met with poor life choices more often than not either, did not realize the damage that they were doing to their bodies at the time, or were in some type of depressed state of mind and on occasion someone who's job promoted a sedentary lifestyle. I am in a position that works the closest with my patients I get to talk to them and learn their life stories. My co-workers and I all agree after seeing all these people with countless backgrounds, that none of them deserve to die and most of the patients I see are not in a position to pay for their healthcare. I would also like to add that all insurance companies should be labeled as unethical business practices because they profit on the misfortune of others, and there is no incentive to pay for your claims because they will lose money in the process. Look up the ratings for any insurance company and you'll find only poor results with negative comments attached; 2 stars out of 5 or less. If you want your insurance to pay for your claim they will always try to give you less than you deserve, or they'll give you what you need then jack up the prices regardless of circumstance. If anyone is currently looking for insurance of any kind, I recommend that you always read the fine print or they will rob you blind. When commenting in this debate I want people to consider that we are dealing with peoples lives here so money isn't really the issue is it? My employers tell us to see each patient as if they were our own family and that is exactly what i do. If that was your family that needed life saving treatment, and you couldn't afford it, then socialized healthcare would be a godsend. I'm not going to say that it wouldn't be expensive tax-wise, I am saying that it's worth the price. Western European countries are currently doing better than the united states in that the people are living happier lives because they don't have to struggle with this issue. Being that the United States employs more health workers per citizen than any other country means that once healthcare is socialized, people will be even happier here than anywhere else in the world. There is also the issue of paying for medication. As things are currently very unregulated in the medical industry, medications and medical equipment costs are whatever a company wants them to be which is corrupt considering that we're talking about a persons well being. I'm not in any way saying that they shouldn't make a profit, I'm just saying that excess profit isn't worth the cost of a persons wellbeing; there is no honor in kicking a person when they're already down.
ejphoenix

Con

ejphoenix forfeited this round.
dude100

Pro

I win this round
ejphoenix

Con

ejphoenix forfeited this round.
dude100

Pro

dude100 forfeited this round.
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
Just because big business gives money to charities here and there, doesn't mean that they're being "nice" although they love it when people believe that which is why they advertise it that way. Then when all is said and done, they add insult to injury by turning around and getting a huge tax deductible for it. Are you f***ing kidding me? Then to insult our intelligence further they actually have the gall to ask for tax breaks. And you know what? I applaud big business, because if the public is stupid enough to let them get away with it, then they deserve to have the money they take.
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
Oh the irony of the common man who lacks an advanced education. I've met so many people in the united states who are completely against socializing our government. The common man who supports our troops, police officers, and firefighters and yet against socialism? ummm all three of those things ARE socialism. To say that you don't support socialism, is to say that you don't support those three things. That instead you're willing to let police officers, firefighters, and our soldiers to set the price of their services? Thats ridiculous. Im not saying we need to socialize everything, NO that would be communism. I am saying that it's necessary for moral concepts. the basics for sustenance and shelter should be free in our country, not saying people should be drinking Fuji water and eating steak tar tar with a side of caviar in the middle of their apartment suite for free, only the basics. Education should be free if not entirely, at least for the jobs our country can't go without like scientists, engineers, and anyone in the medical field. As far as healthcare goes, At least pay for stitches, diabetes, and other common ailments. There's no need for our country to be uncivilized and unreasonable. Poverty CAN be disposed of if we are willing to work at it. If we were entirely a free market we would have to depend on the generosity and charity of Big business, so basically we would be relying on the idea that Big business is going to do the right thing, since when have they ever done the right thing?
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
To shrekoning,
Like it or not our country runs on oil, could we invest in better solutions? Absolutely unfortunately Big business holds most of our country's money, so unless we get them to agree to the concept, our tax dollars are forced to be paid on waging war to lower the price of oil. It's as simple as that. There is no other option. It's amazing how much we rely on big business and how much power they have over us, yet the common man still supports unregulated business. Without business regulation, 10 year old children would still be working in sweat shops.... Oh wait they still do! for **ck's sake! since they can't do it here in our country they decide to exploit people in other countries. And people still wonder why blue collar jobs are less prevalent in our country and blame the government for not doing anything about it, then complain when the government tries to fix it. WTF!
Posted by dude100 1 year ago
dude100
everything that we pay taxes for is by definition socialized reform of a capitalist system. If we didn't pay taxes for fire departments, then firefighters would stand outside your home and negotiate the price it would cost to put out the flames. Not kidding people used to do this in ancient Rome before government regulation. things like minimum wage wouldn't exist and monopolies would persist, not that they don't still do exist in our country. Honestly I don't know how people can stand big business bullying the working man. On the other hand, we don't want to end up like Cuba or the Soviet union by giving the government too much power. The only way for true equality to exist is to discover the perfect balance between regulated and unregulated economics. Basically the fight needs to be between Big business and the US government. Big business has been winning for a long time. Every time our country has an economic crisis we resort to socialization to save our asses yet few people today, understand the necessity of what it was back then. It's the only way to implore a system of checks and balances in economics.
Posted by Shrekoning 1 year ago
Shrekoning
Yeah, right. Money in taxes goes to your best interests. Its not like quite a lot of it goes to paying for a huge military industrial complex that wages wars overseas on your tax dollars. How is waging foreign wars in your best interests?
Vote Placed by SirMaximus 1 year ago
SirMaximus
ejphoenixdude100Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited 2 rounds, and Pro only forfeited 1 round. Therefore, Pro wins conduct.