imaconfused
headphonegut

Universities prefer Liberal arts programs over special professional degree programs in undergrad ed.

imaconfused

Pro

Hi, just looking for weaknesses in my arguments for the topic above....I will leave the first move to my opponent.
headphonegut

Con

since my opponent has let me go or be first I will set the standards and definitions for the debate liberal arts will be studies intended to provide general knowledge and intellectual skills rather than occupational or professional skills and professional degree a field of study to make a living such as law witch u graduated from a university or college to show you're qualified and program will be a class and I think we all know what undergrad is but I'll define it as a university or college student who has not yet refused his first degree and any arguments that are in contradiction to the standards set should be disregarded no matter how good they may be since you allowed me the courtesy of beginning I'll set the rules now "special" will be above or in higher value of so for example a class of law that is higher than those of regular law classes now on to the debate universities do not prefer students who are learning in a relative realm they prefer students who study in a subjective better put universities don't want to invest into students who are learning in the general unless it is political science they want students who are going to "contribute to society" students for example that are in law will change the world one case at a time the resolution placed above is trying to make a statement but what if you were to place a do in front of it ( the resolution) it would have completely changed the debate any whom I do not believe in placing one's profession above the other but here in these circumstances and the circumstances being that in the resolution anyone who goes into liberal arts will only be in classes and not get a degree contrary to those in "special" professional programs who will get a degree so universities are not going to prefer liberal arts when all the students who want a degree are going to professional degree programs so now I ask my opponent if he would go to liberal arts program or special professional degree programs plural since there are many professions and I do not believe the word programs after liberal arts should be plural since taking a program is basically a general knowledge of everything no one wants to be a lawyers clerk when they can be the actual lawyer
imaconfused

Pro

imaconfused forfeited this round.
headphonegut

Con

since my opponent has failed to post an argument there is nothing for me to refute so I will just make a few points on the matter

observation1- what do you mean by Universities? is it all universities? or specific universities? or private universities?

observation2- since my opponent made relative the word "universities" then it must be all university's can you say what universitys actually want does the university at Montepellier prefer the same programs as the Texas lutheran university and if they don't then wouldn't that make whoever's for this resolution by default wrong

observation3- since "universities" is relative and the resolution is subjective this begs the question how should this resolution be debated?

contention 1- The liberal arts cover a wide range of academic disciplines: art, classics, language, literature, philosophy and much more. Completing a Doctorate in Liberal Arts generally prepares you to become a university professor, but certain concentrations can lead you into nonacademic fields. this is very interesting if you learn about everything you can become a professor, but who is actually or who in general wants to become a professor nowadays and if a doctors gets you to become a professor imagine what a masters does a teacer at some praised private school and then it probably goes down hill from there
imaconfused

Pro

imaconfused forfeited this round.
headphonegut

Con

I think it's pretty obvious who to vote for
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Con wins by default. Wretched spelling and grammar.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
You should try rewording this debate. Something like, 'Liberal arts programs are better than special professional degree programs.
Posted by Cherymenthol 7 years ago
Cherymenthol
Every debate lately has been like this, i mean bad...
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Alto brings up a good point though... I didn't realize the specification of "university" but that can still imply different things : )
Posted by LuisMiguelLuna 7 years ago
LuisMiguelLuna
I stand corrected by all three of you and definitely agree this topic needs clarification.
Posted by alto2osu 7 years ago
alto2osu
I don't really see how you guys can interpret this as undergraduates or future employers...the resolution specifies that "universities" prefer these programs. Mind you, since this kid is Pro, it really was his job to clarify the resolution, and he should have posted definitions and an opening set of arguments. With that said, I don't think that one can argue either of the above redefinitions because they really aren't like university personnel, registrar offices, university policymakers, etc. Lastly, I don't see how "universities" prefer anything when it comes to undergraduate education, unless Pro is attempting to debate like university admissions preferences...
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Luis: Neither the resolution nor the instigator have specified that the preference of the undergraduates is what's being weighed here. It could be potential employers, much like what L was arguing. Even assuming that the resolution deals with undergraduates, the affirmative could only prove that MOST undergraduates prefer liberal arts, not that ALL of them; remember, the affirmative has a burden of universality.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
A liberal arts degree might not be preferable by your potential employer if you're applying for a job in the field of physics, correct? Maybe they'd like a physics degree, perhaps? Or one of the sciences? So, a liberal arts degree is not preferable in ALL cases. Therefore, this resolution needs to be more specific (and so does your claim). What "people" in undergrad education? The students? In that case, a simple statistic would decide the debate and then no it would not really be debatable. It's debatable, however, if you specify a particular group who's preference matters.
Posted by LuisMiguelLuna 7 years ago
LuisMiguelLuna
I disagree theLwerd. The people in undergraduate education are doing the preferring.
Posted by Mangani 7 years ago
Mangani
Preferred by whom??? This is a pretty ambiguous debate...
Vote Placed by Phoenix_Reaper 6 years ago
Phoenix_Reaper
imaconfusedheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: .l
Vote Placed by HEADPHONEGUY 6 years ago
HEADPHONEGUY
imaconfusedheadphonegutTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
imaconfusedheadphonegutTied
Vote Placed by BellumQuodPacis 7 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
imaconfusedheadphonegutTied
Vote Placed by headphonegut 7 years ago
headphonegut
imaconfusedheadphonegutTied