Jnapoli
fuzala

University Attempts to Put Students in the Shoes of Homeless People

Jnapoli

Con

A local University that I attend as a freshman has a program where a group of students gather outside at night and sleep with their sleeping bags outside to "experience" the homeless life; which is a great idea, but has lots of flaws, and me and my girlfriend have been arguing in front of the charter guy about it while he tries to fix our internet.

First off, there isn't any one type of homeless person. Some are doing better than others, therefore, not all of them have sleeping bags, or warm blankets.

Here is my main issue. The school sent an email to all students saying the event was moved inside one of our buildings on campus, in a large event room. Now I understand the university is held liable if students were to sleep outside in 20 degree weather and develop hypothermia or any serious medical issue. Totally understandable. However, Homeless people cannot always access a warm building to go inside and sleep. If they could, why would we see any on the streets?

So in conclusion, I believe the university should completely cancel the event, in terms of weather. If the purpose of their event is to show students what it feels like to be in the shoes of a homeless person, and they send the students inside because it's "cold," they are not accomplishing the purpose they set out for.

On a side note, most of us already know the lives of a homeless person. We don't all need to spend a day in their shoes to learn about what it's like, we can all just assume its horrible.
fuzala

Pro

I hold the position that the program is a good idea.

Let us take a look at some statistics on homelessness: http://www.nationalhomeless.org...

You can see that the number of homeless people has increased because of foreclosures.

We may have sympathy for the homeless, but the program can help gain empathy to a certain extent. Many times, sympathy is not enough. The program helps students feel some of the qualities of being homeless, even if it is a few.

Being able to relate to homeless people, even through limited experiences, can lead to large gains in society. Many of us won't even spare homeless people a dollar. Several make false generalizations such as "Homeless people will just spend my money on drugs." Some have this sort of contempt for the homeless.

Although the program has many flaws, important lessons can be learned from experience. Even if the students feel 1/16 of what homeless people go through, it will help them relate to the homeless much more easily. It will likely decrease the amount of indifference towards the homeless.

The program can remind people that homelessness exists. Of course, most know homelessness exists, but many do not actively acknowledge their existence. In many ways, homeless people have been dehumanized. Since the program can help people relate to the homeless, it may open many eyes wide open.

Jnapoli

Con

Jnapoli forfeited this round.
fuzala

Pro

I am still of the opinion this program is useful. I will wait for my opponent to respond to my most recent arguments.
Jnapoli

Con

Jnapoli forfeited this round.
fuzala

Pro

Based on my previous assertions, the program that puts people in the shoes of homeless people is beneficial.