Lifeisgood
Conor

'Up' is Not a Good Children's Movie

Lifeisgood

Lifeisgood

Pro

After debating a cheerful topic like abortion, I think I could use a brief rest from the heavy-duty debates. Anyway, I stand in affirmation that Up, the recent movie released by Disney, is not a good children's movie. I am a lover of facts and logic, so I intend to prove my point by using both. Allow me to clarify my intentions with the following definitions.

Good: conforming to set standards; suitable, sufficient or satisfactory
(My own definition)

Children's movie: a movie created specifically for viewing by audiences ages 2-14

I leave it to my opponent to begin the argument. Good luck.
Conor

Con

I think it is a good children's movie because it provides a playful story to members of our new generation and simultaneously addresses such topics as equality, child abuse, teenage pregnancy, and substance abuse in a playful yet educative light.
Lifeisgood

Pro

I am grateful you have accepted this light-hearted debate, Conor. It should be fun.

Conor said: "I think it is a good children's movie because it provides a playful story to members of our new generation and simultaneously addresses such topics as equality, child abuse, teenage pregnancy, and substance abuse in a playful yet educative light."

Um... just wondering, are we talking about the same movie? No offence if we are. I was referring to this movie:
http://disney.go.com...

I too believe that Up provides a playful overall story, but I really don't think it addresses topics like "equality, child abuse, teenage pregnancy, and substance abuse". Could you provide more specific examples? Thanks.

Also, I believe that topics such as child abuse and teenage pregnancy aren't really suitable for audiences ages 2-14.

Here is my argument as to why Up is not a good children's movie.

First of all, we must ask what the 'set standards' for a children's movie are. Typically, children's movies are characterized by their light-hearted nature, lively humor, and appropriate content (as in no swearing, drugs, or obscene material). I do not deny that the content of Up is suitable, but I will argue that the humor is not lively, and also that the nature is not light-hearted. Here are my supporting arguments.

1) Up is a very sad, depressing movie. It all starts off with a slide show of Carl his and married life with Ellie. Here is a brief synopsis of what is depicted.

The couple tries to have a child, but Carl's wife, Ellie, has a miscarriage, and apparently can have no more children. Sorrowful, depressing music is played through the sequence.

The couple shares a dream of going to Paradise Falls, but every time they have nearly enough money to go there, they have to spend the money on something else, because unfortunate events such as injuries and house repairs keep happening.

In their old age, the couple eventually conjures up enough money to go to Paradise Falls, (oh, here's the good part) but then Ellie dies. Yup, after all those years of saving and turmoil, she just dies, leaving a heartbroken Carl all alone. Cue regretful, melancholy music.

After Carl's wife dies, a truck knocks of his mailbox, and a guy tries to fix it. Carl doesn't like him touching his mailbox, so he whacks the guy over the head with his cane, drawing blood. Then Carl is summoned to court and evicted from his house as a public menace.

Honestly, I felt like crying after watching scenes such as these. These events are all very real and disturbing. Do we really need such sickeningly sad things in a kid's movie?

2) The humor in this movie is a joke (pun intended, of course). A kid's movie should make you want to laugh, not cry. Watching this movie gave me little pleasure. I think I only laughed out loud once in the whole movie. However, it was only a little 'heh-heh', and the joke was repeated several times, decreasing much of the humor for me. All the other attempted humor was old, or was just plain not funny (at least to me).

3) Up is a stressful movie. There are many desperate moments where it feels as though the characters are going to fall from treacherous heights. One might say that climatic moments like these occur in almost every movie, but for Up it is much more intense. For an animated movie, these sequences look remarkably real and harrowing, not to mention they happen frequently. I've seen some intense movies before, but Up still left me with a feeling of anxiety. I'm serious. Children just don't need that degree of stress.

Through these arguments, I have shown that Up does not qualify a 'good' children's movie, as in it does not meet satisfactory standards for audiences ages 2-14. It seems as though it would be much more qualified for a slightly older audience, as it contains many depressing and intense moments that would be disturbing to young children.

Again, I thank you, Conor, for this excellent opportunity to debate. I eagerly await your response.
Conor

Con

"I believe that topics such as child abuse and teenage pregnancy aren't really suitable for audiences ages 2-14."
With all due respect, my friend, who are you to say that those topics aren't suitable for a child audience? That idea is merely based on moral assumptions given you by society. On the contrary, I believe those are very important and (although not necessarily applicable) relevant issues for growing children. Seeing as "Up" addresses all of these issues, I believe it is a very good movie, and it's educating themes are all supplemented with its good use of humor.

For example, when the fat guy says, "You're stupid," I think we can agree that was by far one of the most humorous incidences in the movie, and the fact that the fat guy said it over 24 times throughout the movie made it even funnier.

"In their old age, the couple eventually conjures up enough money to go to Paradise Falls, (oh, here's the good part) but then Ellie dies. Yup, after all those years of saving and turmoil, she just dies, leaving a heartbroken Carl all alone. Cue regretful, melancholy music.

After Carl's wife dies, a truck knocks of his mailbox, and a guy tries to fix it. Carl doesn't like him touching his mailbox, so he whacks the guy over the head with his cane, drawing blood. Then Carl is summoned to court and evicted from his house as a public menace."

Although this short interlude in the movie might evoke sadness in your personally, a poll shows that 78% of "Up" watchers found this sequence to be the most humorous and well-executed part of the movie (http://en.wikipedia.org...). Children and adults alike in the theatre even stood up and applauded as they saw blood spill out of the innocent man's head (http://en.wikipedia.org...).

Thank you. Good luck, dude.
Lifeisgood

Pro

Thank you Conor, for your quick response. I apologize that my own response has not been as quick, but I have been uncertain as to how I should respond. (By the way, I see what you're trying to do. It isn't going to work with me.)

Conor said: " With all due respect, my friend, who are you to say that those topics aren't suitable for a child audience? That idea is merely based on moral assumptions given you by society. On the contrary, I believe those are very important and (although not necessarily applicable) relevant issues for growing children."

I still don't remember any of the issues you mentioned being in the movie. Again I ask for more specific examples.

Anyway, with all due respect, my friend, who are you to say that those topics are suitable for a child audience? That idea is merely based on immoral assumptions given to you by society. On the contrary, I believe those are very unimportant and irrelevant issues for growing children.

Conor said: "For example, when the fat guy says, "You're stupid," I think we can agree that was by far one of the most humorous incidences in the movie, and the fact that the fat guy said it over 24 times throughout the movie made it even funnier."

I don't remember any fat guy repeatedly saying 'You're stupid' anywhere in the movie. What was the fat guy's name?

Anyway, I hardly think such a line would be funny. It would be very bad for a five-year-old to hear it said repeatedly. Then he would start saying 'you're stupid' at every opportunity. His parents would not be happy.

Conor said: "Although this short interlude in the movie might evoke sadness in your personally, a poll shows that 78% of "Up" watchers found this sequence to be the most humorous and well-executed part of the movie (http://en.wikipedia.org......). Children and adults alike in the theatre even stood up and applauded as they saw blood spill out of the innocent man's head (http://en.wikipedia.org......)."

I believe you are taking your sources somewhat out of context.

My opponent has not addressed any of my other arguments.

I thank my opponent for this intriguing debate. I leave the final say to him.
Conor

Con

"(By the way, I see what you're trying to do. It isn't going to work with me.)"
I'm not *trying to do* anything, dude. I'm not some sinister debater whose actually trying to deceive you and claim victory in this debate. I'm not that stupid. You're taking this way too seriously. I'm kidding, you fat smogglenut.

"I still don't remember any of the issues you mentioned being in the movie. Again I ask for more specific examples."
Well, for one, during the middle of the movie, (I believe Scene 14), the little boy has a substance abuse problem, and the old man becomes an alcoholic. However, through perseverance and attendance at their local mosque, they're both able to summon the courage to overcome their respective addictions (http://en.wikipedia.org...(Manhattan_Project).
As for teenage pregnancy, it is clearly alluded to when the old man says, "My teenage daughter is pregnant. This is a serious issue, and we need to be responsible about it" (http://en.wikipedia.org....).
In one part, the fat guy punches a fat kid in the throat. That is clearly child abuse (http://en.wikipedia.org...).

"Anyway, with all due respect, my friend, who are you to say that those topics are suitable for a child audience? That idea is merely based on immoral assumptions given to you by society. On the contrary, I believe those are very unimportant and irrelevant issues for growing children."
Okay, that's not refuting my point. My point was that you can't make these seemingly objective moral statements (like "sex isn't a suitable topic for kids") that are at best anachronistic and at worst backward, detrimental and close-minded. These topics are natural parts of humanity and society, and just because you personally have outdated "traditional" (ignorant) views on things like drugs, sex, and child abuse doesn't mean they shouldn't be addressed in a children's movie.

"What was the fat guy's name?"
Harold Balducci (http://en.wikipedia.org...).

"His parents would not be happy."
Mine would.

In closing, I'd like to reiterate my point that you are a snobrunaga.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Pro won, But I agree with Con.
Posted by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
"Hey im not 2 to 14 and i loved that movie.."

Actually, 'Up' would probably be better suited for someone your age. However, to a seven-year-old (the average age for a children's movie), the movie would be quite depressing.

"smugnit."

I'm not even going to ask.
Posted by Conor 7 years ago
Conor
smugnit.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
Hey im not 2 to 14 and i loved that movie..

Woops did i really say that
Posted by pcmbrown 7 years ago
pcmbrown
Awesome :)
Posted by Conor 7 years ago
Conor
Thanks for informing us, MTGandP. Everyone was thinking, before you said that, that I had real arguments.
Posted by MTGandP 7 years ago
MTGandP
Easy win for Pro. Con provided no real arguments.
Posted by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
"Me voted for me."

Aha.

"Cant take the debate until August 14, I'll be in Germany, but after that, I'd love to."

I can wait.
Posted by Conor 7 years ago
Conor
Deutschland
Posted by pcmbrown 7 years ago
pcmbrown
Cant take the debate until August 14, I'll be in Germany, but after that, I'd love to.
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by MTGandP 7 years ago
MTGandP
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by Lt.Zubin 7 years ago
Lt.Zubin
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 7 years ago
pcmbrown
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by FlashFire 7 years ago
FlashFire
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 7 years ago
KRFournier
LifeisgoodConorTied
Vote Placed by Conor 7 years ago
Conor
LifeisgoodConorTied