AppleAddict439
Caden335

Urban Living vs. Suburban Living

AppleAddict439

Pro

Let me start off this off by saying that I am thankful for the challenger to have accepted this debate. Now, all accordance behind us, i will attempt to make my position.

My first argument of why Urban living is better than Suburban Living is that the Suburbs (American Suburbs) have been designed in such a way that it removes a few of the basic human community principles:

1. Walking from one place to another on two legs. The majority of the time, you need a car to get around the suburbs. You cannot walk from one place to another, such as in the city, because usually there will be a giant interstate blocking your way, or the distance is "too long to walk." With the removal of walking in communities like these, it is removing a basic way to stay fit and healthy.

2. Communication with other human beings. The suburbs have large fences, hedges and barriers to keep other human beings out. People don't communicate regularly in the suburbs, because the long, winding streets of the suburbs, while they may be good for cars, are TERRIBLE for humans. Rarely will you see two people just walking on the street and say "hello" to each other: the suburbs remove the essential communication factor in humans.

3. Play. Now, `this may sound silly, but in the city, kids play more. They don't have to have a prearranged play date or event, they don't need a parent to play with them, and they don't need some screen to keep them "distracted." In urban life, you can take your kids to the playground, where they will play and make new friends fast, or, if they are older, they can just hand out with friends on the streets, doing fun things that the city can offer whereas the suburbs cannot.

Which leads me to my next point...

The suburbs have some entertainment, but regards to the trampoline park and maybe the one laser tag arena. In the city, to name a few things, there are: Parks, Theaters, Local Bakeries, Local Cafes, Community Gardens, Street Murals and Art, Museums. Just to name a few. Also, the suburbs have virtually no local businesses.

Also, why is it that the houses in the city usually look different, but in the suburbs, they are all the same? Because suburban designers wanted to be cheap and save money, so instead of making a well designed house, they literally just clicked "copy and paste" a few hundred times.

Now, Differing, there are some, (but few) suburbs that are actually done well. Like in Sweden, dense forests, plant life and giant lakes make up only a few things that a regular suburb has. These are beautifully done. The real problem lies with the American Suburb: How they are cheaply made, poorly designed, and impede social science.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to the second Argument.
Caden335

Con

So, you say that suburban is less communication. First off, now, there are phones. You can call. And houses are close enough together that you can still say hi to friends and neighbors. And playing? There are parks and playground nearby, and at parks, we actually have areas for games like tennis and soccer

Also, the suburbs are safer. There are more cars in the city, so there is more of a chance of an accident. In the suburbs, we actually can bike on the road with less of a chance of being smashed into by a car. And, there are less factories, so there is less pollution.

As for the houses, that is untrue. Each house is different, and they are bigger and less crowded. We also have yards. the size of a yard in the city compared to one in the suburbs is so small, you might as well not have one.

I know my opponent hate the suburbs, but, I know him, and he has never lived in the suburbs.

There, the cost of land is cheaper, so you have more space. Plus, you don't have to be woken up by the sound of cars.

In the suburbs, we also actually have trees. I rarely see them in the city. In the suburbs, you can see at least 2 in your back yard.

Most jobs are in the city, but the suburbs are a much more kid-friendly place, where a car won't be your alarm clock.

Also, in the suburbs, we have more racial diversity, leading to more understanding and less racism.
AppleAddict439

Pro

Alright. I would like to start off my second argument by saying thanks to my challenger for being courteous and responding quickly.

Now, I would like to point our a few (if not many) inconsistencies in your argument, if I may.

First off, you said, in your exact words: "the suburbs are safer. There are more cars in the city, so there is more of a chance of an accident. In the suburbs, we actually can bike on the road with less of a chance of being smashed into by a car."

Well, actually that statement is completely untrue. According to a scientific study done by the University of Stanford, 66% percent of vehicle deaths occur on rural roads (where the suburbs are) and that non-city residents are TWICE AS LIKELY to die in a vehicle accident.

Also, I would like to point out the fact that in 2013, a study by the Annals of Emergency Medicine found that the risk of DEATH from violence or accident is 20% higher in rural areas (again, where the suburbs are) than in the city. So, the city might actually be SAFER, on many levels, than the suburbs.

And can I point out the fact that the city usually has public transportation, which according to the American Public Transportation Association, saved 865 MILLION HOURS in travel time and nearly 450 MILLION gallons of fuel from polluting the earth. It's cheaper to live in the city because of this: public transport is cheap, compared to filling your car up with expensive gas every few days. Also, using public transport put less Co2 in the air, slowing the affects of global warming.

And now to top it off, it's actually CHEAPER to live in the city and not the suburbs! You can actually save thousands of dollars a year in some cities!

A joint study conducted by Zillow and Care.com Found that:

"Living in urban Philadelphia saves a family $13,849 compared to the suburbs, and Baltimore's 'burbs are $10,790 more costly than the city. Urban living is cheaper in Cleveland ($9,034), Las Vegas ($7,318), Cincinnati ($5,514), and Denver ($3,635) as well.

New York's eye-popping discrepancy can be chalked up entirely to housing costs. In fact, the study found annual childcare costs for two young children were actually lower in New York City than the suburbs ($21,568 vs. $23,253)."

Thank you for your time and patience and I am excited for your rebuttal.
Caden335

Con

First off, the suburbs are not rural. Such areas are distinct from more intensively settled urban and suburban areas. These areas are mostly sparsely populated areas. Inhabitants live in villages, hamlets, on farms and in other isolated dwellings.

Would you like to live in small apartments or large houses. As for cost, that depends on the city. In some cities, they are better, but in some suburbs, it is better. Based off personal experience, I prefer suburbs, because they have cultural centers and pools, which are much better because then you can meet people and have fun.

Suburbs are amazing because they are comfortable and people-friendly. Honestly, it's just a matter of preference
AppleAddict439

Pro

Thank you for responding to my argument in quick haste and speed. In such manner, I will apply myself to the task at hand: this debate.

A few problems I have seen is that my opponent, though he has posted evidence, there are no links, sources or any factual evidence of his claims for his argument. This presents a loophole in everything you have said so far. How can you be so sure that there is more racism in the city when you don't even have EVIDENCE to back it up. All of your arguments seem to have this problem leading me to state that ALL your claims are completely biased, and based on personal preference.

However, I have continued to back my clarifying statements up with factual resources you can find on the web.

Now, onto another point. You yourself said that: "Based off personal experience, I prefer suburbs, because they have cultural centers and pools, which are much better because then you can meet people and have fun."

Notice the key words there: "I" not a "you." Debates are supposed to be about convincing the audience, not merely saying things that you think are good, or you think are bad. The point of a debate in to take those personal opinions, clarify them, and present them in an orderly and structural manner that compels your audience.

Also, the city has local pool that you can get in for free. You pay for them in a small tax that comes with your yearly taxes. Also, in places such as New York, Or Philadelphia, you have MUCH MORE diversity as you can literally walk a block and find an ethnic restaurant or deli. There are people of all kinds in the city: diversity is high where population is high. It's as simple as that. Though there may be growing ethnic communities in the suburbs, cities with high population (100,000 and over) are bound to have racial diversity galore.

Thank you for your time and patience.

P.S: The city has farmers markets, where you can, again support local business, whereas in the suburbs you have that Kroger across the interstate!
Caden335

Con

My arguments are not all based off personal preference, they are based off fact. And here are some points to back me up:
A) Bigger Houses & More Space:

Compared to an inner-city living situation, you will usually find more square footage for your money in the suburbs. Tracts of land often include room for a home, as well as front, back and even side yards. Many suburbs were evolved from previously rural or wooded areas, so your property may have trees and wildlife. Having more space inside and out is one of the most common reasons previous city dwellers move into the suburbs.

While you get the benefit of space, suburbs are usually still close enough to commute into the city. Since cities usually provide a wide variety of jobs, this proximity to income opportunities can give the suburbs an edge over rural areas.

B) Better Education

Suburban areas typically offer better schools than urban or rural districts. If you have or plan to have children in the near future, it"s a good idea to consider the importance of education in your lifestyle. Even if you do not plan to have kids, knowing the state of the school district can be helpful come resale time. However, in many suburbs you will pay higher property taxes for those better-quality schools. There are some places where you can get a bargain " better value for the property taxes you pay.

C) Neighbors & Nature

Whether it is local parks or close-knit neighborhoods, residents of the suburbs often enjoy fresh air, natural scenery and a strong sense of community. People often move to suburbia specifically to raise children, escape the hustle and bustle, and improve life and safety for their families.

D) Quality of Life

Suburbia offers an escape from the work and stresses of the big city, while still allowing relative proximity to other people and necessities. With less traffic congestion and crowding, as well as a lower crime rate, suburbanites often find a higher quality of life than what is available elsewhere. There is access to plentiful job opportunities while having the option for recreational and outdoor activities as well as opportunities to meet people and join a community.

If you get easily bored or like the options afforded in a city, suburbia may not be for you. Being far away from the action of city life or without the rolling property in the country may sound unappealing. Outings in the suburbs take time and effort and the commute to work in the city may be long and expensive.

But all in all, the suburbs are a much better place to live. And my opponent is just too stubborn to agree
Posted by SegBeg 11 months ago
SegBeg
I live in a suburban town near London (it's not really the suburbs of London but it is suburban) and I must tell you this- I HATE the city (as a place to live that is) Here are a few reasons I hate the city and love the suburbs

1.) It's too crowded- I get really uncomfrotable around so many people. Since the City has a higher population than suburban areas, I would not want to live in the City
2.) It's cheaper- living in London is EX-PEN-SIVE- a 1 bedroom flat in Hertfordshire would be about "300 a month whereas in London it could cost as high as "800. Even in the SUBURBS of London it's pricy. Try living in Kensington
3.) The houses are UGLY AF- too many of London's houses are old, narrow, unattractive Victorian houses that make me VERY uncomfortable. Even my 3 bedroom terraced home in Hertfordshire is bigger.
4.) Normally the more suburban a London Borough is the happier they are- The London Borough of Barnet in North London has been rated as the happiest place to live in London- Barnet is a very suburban borough and is beautiful. Many of the inner London boroughs- which are much more urban such as Newham, Hackney, Greenwich, Harringay and Islington have been rated the poorest and most unhappiest areas to live in London
5.) Suburban areas have public transport too- My town Hatfield has it's own bus service called Uno who operate domestic services as well as a few services into North London and other boardering counties. We have our own railway station as well
6.) Suburban areas are quieter- I like my peace and quiet. The City just doesn't have that
7.) The City suffers much more from crime- especially the City of Westminster. This isn't to say that some subruban areas don't have any crime- The London Borough of Enfield which is also a suburban borough suffers from crime and poverty too.

So there are a few reasons I prefer the suburbs over the City. Though it really all depends on the way you were raised.
Posted by SegBeg 11 months ago
SegBeg

Posted by ambivalent 11 months ago
ambivalent
being a kid living in the suburbs of Chicago I would like to bring up a few points here:
a.) There is a lot less ethnic diversity in suburbs (on the whole that is, there are exceptions)
b.) The commutes are much longer and more polluting to get to the city to work
c.) If you live in a city, you are much more likely to have access to water (almost all major cities are on some body of water)
d.) Having tight knit communities are not always a good thing
e.) More suburbs have good schools -- top 3 here are in suburubs (https://www.niche.com...)
f.) far cheaper to get adequate housing out in suburbs