learnspeakfight
Cluckelite

Usage of Solar Thermal Energy instead of Non-renewable Resources is better

learnspeakfight

Pro

Energy has become a very concerned topic in the present scenario. Why? People say that there is a depletion of energy resources going on. But, all of us know, there are two types of energy resources - renewable and non-renewable...Renewable resources are those which can be replenished back and non-renewable resources are those which cannot be obtained back. So, if there is any depletion it must happen in non-renewable resources. But still, we have the renewable resources like wind, hydel, thermal, solar etc.. Then why are we still mostly dependent on non-renewable resources or the one which we can't use.? There are many ways to generate electricity which most of us are not aware of.. One of the way is " CONCENTRATED SOLAR THERMAL POWER PLANT".
The main principle of this is to use solar and thermal energy for the generation of electricity. Now, how does this process take place?
The first step taking place in this process is the absorption of sunlight by heliostatic mirrors which help a can pointed towards the mirrors to get heated and then a salt is pumped to the can where it gets heated to its melting point and goes into a container. Then this molten salt which consists of heat is sent to a steam turbine where cold salt is also sent. In the steam generator heat/steam is produced which helps the turbine to rotate and further generate electricity. And then the molten salt from the steam generator is sent to a condenser where it is cooled and and again pumped to the can where the process repeats..The heat can also be stored in this process for generation of electricity during night.
At present, we need new and economical sources of energy which can be produced in many ways in which one of the way is this power plant.. Its might be a little costly to make it, but once it is done it needs very less maintenance. These power plants are already kept in few parts of the world like Australia, U.S.A etc. and are planning to be kept, but there is not much widespread awareness about these power plants around all parts of the world. I feel we need to create awareness among various people in the world about the concentrated solar thermal power plant, the benefits achieved by this power plant and various problem that can be solved about the issue of energy concern at present. We can use such types of resources which are more economical. We can also by the help of the government of a particular country or state get the power plants set up in our localities. This is truly a good way of generating electricity.
What are your views about this topic and what do you feel about this new idea of generating electricity bought down by beyond zero emissions i.e.., "THE CONCENTRATED SOLAR THERMAL POWER PLANT".
Cluckelite

Con

Hello there, this is my first debate so I am unpractised: hoping that will change. To begin!
Now first of all I would like to question what it is you mean by 'better'.
-If you mean more efficient at producing energy I am sure you're right as this technique requires no transportation, no mining and little maintenance.
-If it is better for the economy I am sure you are wrong: with the age of fracking (essentially mining shale gas) around the corner, already having made a serious impact in America, this solar method is expensive and certainly less tested than fracking. Britain (as I say I'm new I assume we're in the same country) would benefit far more from a concerted effort into mining this easily obtainable and (more importantly) British resource as for too long we have been reliant on foreign fuel which could be stopped at a diplomatic whim (exaggeration I know but true nonetheless).
-If you mean better globally we run into another problem: in that this resource is highly dependant on the weather. In hotter countries this is surely a viable and attractive option but in Britain the efficiency will be greatly reduced and thus make the method less cost effective.
-If, as I'm almost certain you do, you mean better for the environment then I cannot fault you. Despite some carbon costs in manufacturing and of course the land used up and of course obtaining the materials necessary for construction and, of course, harvesting the salt needed there is next to no cost to the environment. However, clean energy is already something of a British penchant in the form of wind power and yet, despite extremely concerted efforts, this only accounts for around 5% of energy production.
-If you mean that it is renewable and will therefore last longer I direct you to the newly discovered shale gas, to scientific predictions that more oil will be found and of course to nuclear power which I personally believe to be a far more viable option, it being so very efficient at energy production - producing thousands of times more power per unit mass than fossil fuels.
In short I believe that such a system would be inefficient in many areas of the world, it would be cost ineffective in those areas, there are more viable candidates for clean energy (let's not argue about nuclear - if everything is done properly there is no risk whatsoever, it even creates large natural habitats because of the required space for dumping etc.) and that as interesting the method of production this energy source is just one of the many forms which are considered renewable, as most rely on the sun, and should not be singled out for promotion.

How was that? :)
learnspeakfight

Pro

Hey! thank you so much for your participation.. This is my first debate as well. Actually we are doing a project for National Children's Science Congress (India) in which we got a choice to choose any one of energy resources where we chose Concentrated Solar Thermal Power Plant.
Obviously its better, and why not? It reduces pollution, and can be a new prevention for depletion of energy..
And I said before in my first and I am telling now as well that this is one of the way that can be used. I never told in my debate that this is the one and only way that has to be used. And coming to the questions you put up I hope I can answer each of them.
I accept that we cannot put it in the places which don't have suitable climatic condition but we can at least out it at places where we have the suitable ones. And coming to the situations of rainy season etc. a lot of energy can be stored in this process. We can reduce the use of non-renewable resources by this.. Because present stats say fuels like oil, coals and other natural resources would soon get depleted by 2128. This might be a long time for imagining at but once we really start feeling the shortage of resources we would realise the use of renewable resources. We even can't realise when we use up non-renewable resources later. We need to have every thing we are blessed with by nature and make use to all the resources but not totally rely n only one. And why not? When we have many technologies coming up forward to change this scenario of using up non-renewable resources. can't we use them?
And coming to the new methods you put forward like the shale gas and nuclear energy, thank you for the new ideas you put forward so that we can't also spread awareness about this. But, I never told that we should only use solar thermal energy and not any of you ideas. I just put up one of the ideas which we can use and get rid of the increasing concerns about energy.. And have have many resources still, which we can use. When we have so much, why do we have to depend on only nuclear, solar thermal or fuels? We need to take the gift of nature and use all of them.
Concentrated solar thermal power plant is really one of the very beneficial resources that we have make use of today and yes "Usage of solar thermal energy instead of NON-RENEWABLE RESOURCES is better!"
Thank you!
Please do share your views :-).
Cluckelite

Con

Good luck with your project, I realise the importance of the change to renewable energy resources in the future and that these can be used alongside other resources. I must say your title and first argument slightly misled me into thinking that you were championing this resources alone, saying that it was better than all others. As I personally believe there is no argument against your revised claim I forfeit my opposition to it. Sorry to be unsporting but I agree! Thank you for the debate.
learnspeakfight

Pro

Thank you so much for your participation and support. Nothing feel sorry about. Had great time arguing with you. Good luck for your futher debates!
:-)....
Cluckelite

Con

Cluckelite forfeited this round.
learnspeakfight

Pro

learnspeakfight forfeited this round.
Cluckelite

Con

Cluckelite forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
learnspeakfightCluckeliteTied
Reasons for voting decision: As a reader I was also mislead by the opening claim... However both sides FFed, so null vote.