jezjoadea
Toharu

Using The English language rather than the native language in teaching mathematic in some countries

jezjoadea

jezjoadea

Pro

Resolution: Using The English language than the native language in teaching mathematics in some countries e.g Philippines, Japan, Singapore
Toharu

Con

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Toharu from Indonesia.

Using English in teaching Mathematic can't be applied. Actually, sometimes the student feel confuse with English. If we combine Mathematic and English in a country that doesn't use English in their daily life, it will be made the students fell more confuse than before. the students feel confuse because of English and Mathematic.
If we want to use English in teaching mathematic, it can be applied for special student, such as the student that prepared for competition or something like that. But, if we use English in teaching Mathematic for daily life, that's totally can't be applied. Beacuse Mathematic make us confuse and sotimes English too. It can make it more complicated.
You should think it over and you should care to your student.
jezjoadea

Pro

"Using English in teaching Mathematic can't be applied."
I have to completely disagree with this. First, do remember that globally, most books in Mathematics are written in English. Also, there are many Mathematical terms with are pretty hard to translate just imagine translating the cube root of, or the square root of, the logarithm of x to the base 3, or even simple terms such as square of binomial and polynomial.

"You should think it over and you should care to your student."
Of course we care for the students, that's exactly the point of teaching Mathematics in English, not doing so, would lead your student to extreme difficulty, since the said student will not be able to understand higher levels of Mathematics if the native language is used in every single level of education, let's say Nursery to College. And I'm pretty sure, aiding in the development of the skills of a student is the best way a teacher can care for his student and this development can be achieved if Mathematics is taught in English.

"Beacuse Mathematic make us confuse and sotimes English too. It can make it more complicated."
That is the point of teaching, to aid confusion.
Toharu

Con

Sir, you should know about how complicated mathematic itself. If you search in Google as the biggest search engine in this world with the key word "I Hate Math" the result is until 28.500.000 result in 0.28 secons. So, you got what I mean, why we can't combine between Mathematic and English itself. The second one, if you talking about the book so many of the mathematic book itself use English, of course because we know English in the International languange! That's totally ussual if the mathematic or the other book using English. Actually, we arne not talking about the book, we are talking about using English in teaching Mathematic. Like I told you before about English and Mathematic, English and the Mathematic itself is part of the most complicated lessons, and if we combine something complicated with something more complicated, it will make the lessson totally COMPLICATED !

You should know the secong point. About English, if you search in Google with the key words "I Hate English" the result until 464.000.000 result in 0.26 secons.

We can get the conclusion, both English and Mathematic are complicated. And I as the senior high school student totally disagree if we should teach Mathematic to the students by using English. And you should know, not every student know how tou use an how to apply English in our lesson!

CARE TO STUDENTS ?!
VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO !
jezjoadea

Pro

"Sir, you should know about how complicated mathematic itself. If you search in Google as the biggest search engine in this world with the key word "I Hate Math" the result is until 28.500.000 result in 0.28 secons"
I do believe your argument is invalid, Google is an insufficient source to say that everyone hates Mathematics.

"You should know the secong point. About English, if you search in Google with the key words "I Hate English" the result until 464.000.000 result in 0.26 secons."
Again, Google is once more an insufficient basis on saying that Everyone hates English

"The second one, if you talking about the book so many of the mathematic book itself use English, of course because we know English in the International languange! That's totally ussual if the mathematic or the other book using English. Actually, we arne not talking about the book, we are talking about using English in teaching Mathematic. Like I told you before about English and Mathematic, English and the Mathematic itself is part of the most complicated lessons"

Exactly, English is the International Language, and Math mostly, is thought in English. And I do believe you have failed to answer my points with regards to the translation of higher mathematical terms. If this is not done, how would you expect a student to furthermore excel in Mathematics. Who are you to not give them the chance to learn? Is that how you define "CARE" for a student? Well, I find that pretty funny. Teaching Mathematics in English is highly essential, for it not just enables the student to unite with the world, it also gives them a chance to excel. Unlike in the way of teaching you try to imply.

"We can get the conclusion, both English and Mathematic are complicated. And I as the senior high school student totally disagree if we should teach Mathematic to the students by using English. And you should know, not every student know how tou use an how to apply English in our lesson!"
You can not simply say that the subjects are complicated without a certain basis. Furthermore, as a Senior High student, I do believe you should know that Mathematics is spelled as "Mathematics" in singular and plural form. Which is again, another flaw of your "oh so loved" educational system of teaching Math in a native language.

So, let me ask you? What points were you saying again? That Google shows several results, SO WHAT? Are they reliable? On what basis? A debater who simply uses Google as basis has a weak foundation.

"CARE TO STUDENTS ?!
VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO ! VOTE PRO !"
Oh, why thank you. You do realize that I am Pro, and definitely, this reply of yours is truly immature.
Toharu

Con

Toharu forfeited this round.
Posted by learnspeakfight 3 years ago
learnspeakfight
i think that the person speaking from "pro" is right..because today we are nothing without English.English has become a globeal language and a means of communication for different countries..And usage of English in Mathematics is a good idea as maths is all about how much we understand. By this, we can improve our communication skills in English which might be usein futher lives of people. And coming to the native language, there has to be a seperate subject which teaches the native language but all others like science, maths and social must be taught in English in my view.
Vote Placed by Cermank 3 years ago
Cermank
jezjoadeaToharuTied
Reasons for voting decision: The debate was interesting. In the first round, Con made an interesting point about how since English is difficult, ditto with maths, combining two difficult subjects would be unwarranted. Pro, in the second round, sufficiently and suitably answered this conundrum by bringing in the point of global convergence. Con then reiterated his own points, without adding any new points- thus the second round goes to Pro. The third round automatically goes to Pro because of the forfeit by Con. All in all, an interesting debate. Conduct goes to Pro, because of the forfeit by Con. S&G to Pro, and arguments to Pro. No sources were used, so that's tied.