Tashasays
quikskopedscrub

Using drugs or alcohol while preganant is child endangerment

Tashasays

Pro

Women who use drugs or alcohol when they are aware that they are pregnant and do not intend to get an abortion, should face legal consequences. A good example is Amanda Kimbrough who was charged with chemical endangerment when she and her fetus tested positive for meth.
quikskopedscrub

Con

k ic ic yup mhmm ok ok
Tashasays

Pro

I understand that drug addiction is not a choice, and it should be treated as a mental illness, but having a baby is a choice. No one is forcing these women to complete their pregnancies. Abortion is an option and is certainly a good thing for pregnant women who are unable or unwilling to stop using drugs that are known to be harmful to fetuses.

Miscarriages happen. I get that. And spontaneous or elected abortion should not be illegal. So in that sense, I agree that Amanda Kimbrough should not be responsible for her son's death, only his life. However, if a women is using drugs while she knows she is pregnant, it is very likely that she will continue using drugs after the baby is born and in her custody. We all want babies to be with their loving, caring mothers. We all want that, but here's the thing: for most women, pregnancy is the easiest part of raising a child. Infants are much harder to take care of than fetuses and drug-addicted babies are infinitely harder still.
quikskopedscrub

Con

quikskopedscrub forfeited this round.
Tashasays

Pro

I regret making this debate 5 rounds instead of 3. I guess there is no way to change it now. Oh well, I guess I might as well finish my argument.

Not only did these women break the law by using illegal drugs, they also knowingly put their unborn children at risk of permanent damage or death. This is not the behavior of a good or even acceptable future parent. Taking care of a newborn is really hard. I'm sure it's even hard when one is also struggling with drug addiction. Harder still is taking care of a new born with Neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) while struggling with addiction. In order to keep infants and children safe, we have to protect fetuses, too.
quikskopedscrub

Con

quikskopedscrub forfeited this round.
Tashasays

Pro

Two rounds left. I've been thinking that debate is not right for me. I was looking for a place to discuss ideas and global issues, but debate is...not that. It's a whole other monster that I thought I would like, but I really don't. I'm glad I decided not to go to law school. Not that I thought being a lawyer would be anything like debating.
I've been a stay-at-home-mom for 8 months now, and it's certainly the hardest job I've ever had, but I think that's just because of the hours. If I could be a mom 40 or even 80 hours a week, I bet I would be a lot better at it, but there's no downtime for parents. If we aren't on active duty, we are on-call. There are no breaks. It could be that my husband and suck at co-parenting, but that's a whole other problem.
My point is that being a parent is crazy hard. The physical and emotional demands are so much more stressful than I ever expected. My kid is 2.5 years old and still doesn't sleep through the night. I'm exhausted.
quikskopedscrub

Con

quikskopedscrub forfeited this round.
Tashasays

Pro

So this is how it ends, not with a bang but with a whimper. I wanted to start reading more. Is anyone else making any progress on their New Year's resolutions?
quikskopedscrub

Con

quikskopedscrub forfeited this round.
Posted by Tashasays 1 year ago
Tashasays
I'm really surprised. Surely there is a feminist out there who believes that such a law could be misused against women seeking abortions, or pregnant women who fail to correct a vitamin deficiency.
Posted by Chrysalism 1 year ago
Chrysalism
I agree Pro
Posted by MikeTheGOd 1 year ago
MikeTheGOd
true