faithfulbm
codemeister13

Using marajuana is more dangerous than drinking beer because it kills brain cells.

codemeister13

faithfulbm

Pro

Studies have shown that marajuana kills brain cells. Even though beer can damage the liver, in the long run it's worse to kill brain cells because it affects thinking.
codemeister13

Con

To say that marijuana is much worse than alcohol simply because "it's worse to kill brain cells because it affects thinking" is simply not true. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there may not be psychological effects from marijuana but alcohol has many more present dangers to it.

Alcohol acts as an impairing device. It impedes one's senses and their reaction times. This, in its own right, is a way in which alcohol affects thinking. Through its ability to impair, alcohol also clouds judgment capabilities and can lead to people dropping inhibitions and doing things they may not normally do.

In pregnant women, the effects of alcohol can be still birth or a combination of mental and physical birth defects in their children. Thus far, I am unaware of any studies showing marijuana to have the same effects on pregnant women.

To quote directly from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website, long term effects of alcohol include, but are not limited to:

"Neurological problems, including dementia, stroke and neuropathy.
Cardiovascular problems, including myocardial infarction, cardiomyopathy, atrial fibrillation and hypertension.
Psychiatric problems, including depression, anxiety, and suicide.
Social problems, including unemployment, lost productivity, and family problems.
Cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, liver, colon, and breast. In general, the risk of cancer increases with increasing amounts of alcohol.
Liver diseases, including"
Alcoholic hepatitis.
Cirrhosis, which is among the 15 leading causes of all deaths in the United States.
Among persons with Hepatitis C virus, worsening of liver function and interference with medications used to treat this condition.
Other gastrointestinal problems, including pancreatitis and gastritis."

Source:
http://www.cdc.gov...
faithfulbm

Pro

That marijuana is must worst because it affects "thinking" is absolutely true. Why? Because your thinking affect EVERYONE else. First, it affects thinking because it affect the brain. They brain regulates the entire bodies. Including all of the organs you mentioned that are affected by drinking. In addition, marijuana thinking problems affects the person's ability to drive (danger to others) -- and use the motor skills of their entire body. It also affects a person ability to generate/create NEW BRAIN CELLS. So, it affects future memory and thinking in addition to present.

This is from The National Institute on Drug Abuse:

"Marijuana use impairs a person's ability to form new memories (see below) and to shift focus. THC also disrupts coordination and balance by binding to receptors in the cerebellum and basal ganglia""parts of the brain that regulate balance, posture, coordination, and reaction time. Therefore, learning, doing complicated tasks, participating in athletics, and driving are also affected.

Marijuana users who have taken large doses of the drug may experience an acute psychosis, which includes hallucinations, delusions, and a loss of the sense of personal identity. Short-term psychotic reactions to high concentrations of THC are distinct from longer-lasting, schizophrenia-like disorders that have been associated with the use of cannabis in vulnerable individuals"

http://www.drugabuse.gov...
codemeister13

Con

I agree that marijuana has psychological effects on people. This is a point I have never failed in agreeing with. However, simply saying that these psychological effects are worse than the psychological, physical, and emotional effects that alcohol can have on someone.

My opponent has failed to refute any of the evidence I have provided and such should be cnsidered by the voting users. To finish my case, I would like to compare and contrast the side effects presented here.

First off: "Marijuana users who have taken large doses of the drug may experience an acute psychosis, which includes hallucinations, delusions, and a loss of the sense of personal identity. Short-term psychotic reactions to high concentrations of THC are distinct from longer-lasting, schizophrenia-like disorders that have been associated with the use of cannabis in vulnerable individuals"

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we refer to as "getting high." This very description is the short-term side effects and why people tend to partake in (and even enjoy) the usage of marijuana. It make folks feel good for a time and it allows them to escape reality for a bit. While yes, these are abnormal psychological effects, this doesn't necessarily make them bad. Actually, many of the people I've personally seen in this "high" tend to space out, get rather philosophical, find many things hillarious, and experience an acute case of hunger.

Secondly: "They brain regulates the entire bodies. Including all of the organs you mentioned that are affected by drinking. In addition, marijuana thinking problems affects the person's ability to drive (danger to others) -- and use the motor skills of their entire body. "

Well, hooray. You've failed to make a note of my statements showing that alcohol does this as well. As I said, alcohol impairs motor skills and works to create other, more pressing psychological disorders in people than a short period of "acute psychosis." Alcohol leads to dementia, strokes, depression, dementia, neuropathy, anxiety, and (in extreme cases) when these get rolled into one, the user may actually be lead to suicidal thoughts and tendencies. To my knowledge, marijuana has not led someone to killing themselves through a series of psychological disorders.

On top of those neurological problems, you then move into the organ problems such as liver failure and multiple forms of cancer. Funny enough, marijuana is not considered a carcinogenic and thus, it has not been shown to create the entirety and multitude of health risks that alcohol has.

In conclusion, to say marijuana is more dangerous because it "affects thinking" is ridiculous. To say it affecting thinking is worse because the "brain controls those organs" is also ridiculous. I would urge you all to vote con in this debate as I believe that I've provided more sound arguments and my opponent failed to refute any of my evidence. I wish my opponent best of luck in the voting process but for the purpose of this debate, I wish to assert that Con has, indeed, done the best of the two debating.
Posted by fapislazui 2 years ago
fapislazui
Alcohol makes your decision making process Impossible. as many drunks say "The alcohol is talking." this is when you are not intending to something and you do it anyway... Getting "High" as many call it. You still know what is going on, your brain is still functioning slightly less normal than usual, but you can still make normal decisions. Being one of past experience, I'm not proud of doing either, But I've been under the influence of both. I could tell you first hand.
Posted by StygianWings 3 years ago
StygianWings
I'm with Codemeister13... Alcohol has far worse effects. That, and at least Codemeister13 is grammatically correct.
Vote Placed by TheAmazingLiberal 3 years ago
TheAmazingLiberal
faithfulbmcodemeister13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con,linked sources,like the CDC,and he gave argumentation,that i particularly,agree with. Their grammar,was equally fine.