Hematite12
jasonk

Utilitarianism is the best moral philosophy

Hematite12

Pro

Hi! I will argue that utilitarianism is the best moral philosophy. My opponent will argue that some other ethical system is superior, but they have to be specific and pick a SINGLE system that they hold to be superior.

By "utilitarianism", I mean the moral philosophy which states that the moral course of action is the one which maximizes happiness and minimizes suffering by its consequences.

By "best", I mean the the system that accords most with moral actions. Of course, the existence of "moral actions" implies a system upon which they were based, so the debate will necessarily be limited.

I'll illustrate with an example. Say my opponent argues for some moral system. I might show how the system would logically lead to justification of the Holocaust. My opponent might either disagree with me, or they might assent, but hold that the Holocaust was somehow moral. Of course that is a ridiculous claim, and which moral ends are best is up to the decisions of each of the voters. Hope that makes sense!

ANY SYSTEM that is morally subjective or nihilistic will NOT be permitted.

1st Round is for acceptance, and please state which system you will hold to be superior to utilitarianism.
jasonk

Con

I accept! My moral philosophy will be virtue ethics.
Hematite12

Pro

Hematite12 forfeited this round.
jasonk

Con

:( dang I already have my argument prepared. oh well haha
Hematite12

Pro

Hematite12 forfeited this round.
jasonk

Con

jasonk forfeited this round.
Hematite12

Pro

Hematite12 forfeited this round.
jasonk

Con

jasonk forfeited this round.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
I'm keeping my eye on this debate. I support the Pro position, but I am open to what Con has to say.

This shall be fun.
Posted by Jevinigh 3 years ago
Jevinigh
I will look forward to seeing how this one turns out.