Vaccinations Should be Mandatory

Voting Style: Judge Point System: 7 Point

Thank you for accepting my FIRST DEBATE! I am familiar with the rules of the site, because I have been looking on for a while and decided to create an account.

The first round will simply consist of a message of acceptance. As for the rest of the rounds, let's see where the debate takes us!

I ask none of the judges to have any personal biases and vote purely from a judging viewpoint. If you have any religious or philosophical objections to this subject, please message me in advance!

There is a wonderful thing called democracy and human rights that allows an individual to choose what happens to their possessions in most circumstances. As a human being you have reasons that you can use to object to a vaccination.
1. A religious reason such as it being unnatural, or intervening etc.
2. The vaccination could have certain side effects you would prefer to avoid
3. You may even be intolerant to the vaccine
4. You may simply not want to without logical reason.

Thank you for accepting the debate. Shall we begin?
Two score and twelve years ago, I looked down upon this nation (figuratively), and I saw something amazing. It was called the measles vaccine (those not familiarized with the Lincoln time telling system, the vaccine was made available in 1963). What this vaccine did, was effectively treat, and most importantly prevent the spread and contraction of measles. According to (1), there were, between, 2000 and 2013, 15.6 million lives saved by the measles vaccine. Is it just a cooincedence, or has this measles vaccine actually worked? See for yourself....

Let's consider this data for a moment. Before 1963, there were upwards of 400,000 cases of measles per year, and the death rate was 2 people out of one thousand cases. Now, the death rate is still unchanged, but, measles cases have dropped drastically, hundreds of thousands to be exact. This vaccine succeeded in effectively treating and preventing the disease. Is this a miracle case, or is there a pattern in former diseases with an approved vaccine?

As for your religious objection, here is a perfect example of what unvaccinated communities can do. As (2) accurately shows, the Amish community in Ohio was unvaccinated. There was a total of 383 people infected. This was because they were in close contact with the other members of the unvaccinated community. As seen in (2), out of the total of 650 measles cases in 2014 recorded in the United States, the majority of the carriers were unvaccinated. There are people who care strongly about the less than one percent chance of contracting the disease, therefore they refuse to vaccinate. If there are an increasing number of unvaccinated communities around the vaccinated ones, the unvaccinated ones who have contracted measles can multiply the chance of vaccinated people contracting the disease hugely. Most of the recorded instances of those 650 cases relating to unvaccinated people state, religious community is struck by measles outbreak and one's conscious decision has brought measles to his/her family. It does not have to be this way!

Reasons to be Vaccinated.
  • Sparing the trouble of contracting the disease, and being vulnerable at all times to death from a CUREABLE disease
  • Vaccines for MANY lethal diseases has resulted in the virtual elimination of child related deaths due to diseases.
  • Your friends and family, all of your loved ones, are subject to the disease when you are not vaccinated, and you are subject to it if they are not vaccinated.

I understand that you have brought up the issue of "human rights" and "democracy." Let's use for this one: Democracy: government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. The free electoral system. Huh, and if our nation did a majority vote on whether or not to mandate vaccines, which side would win? The one that knows that they are making the wisest decision for other people, for their own good. Basically, whenever you choose to vaccinate yourself/your children, you are making the decision that could result in contracting or not contracting the disease, or in the worst case scenario, the life or death situation. The last place I want to be in is in the hospital on my deathbed, thinking about my decisions. I will never die from a disease that is cureable, ever, and neither should anyone else. That is why I propose mandatory vaccination. We would be able to make the decision for people, for their own good, so that our nation does not suffer from a pandemic resulting directly from the ignorant decisions of others. Honestly, I perfectly understand religious practices banning vaccines. That is their belief and I have no right to tell people that the label pertains to otherwise. The only solution to religous vaccination prohibition during pandemics is limiting contact between the vaccinated and unvaccinated, or, better yet, everyone could be vaccinated and we wouldn't have to worry about controlling diseases that already have a proven, working, vaccine.

I have said before and I will say again in every debate over this particular subject, vaccinations should be mandatory. (1) (2)

Ryannate forfeited this round.

Anything I saw from here on out will be insignificant due to the lack of an argument from con. Please do not penalize! He may have had a legitimate reason to forfeit.

Ryannate forfeited this round.

Ryannate forfeited this round.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 1 year ago
I think con may have a easy time doing a rebuttal about the measles vaccine. Measles has a mortality rate of about .015% which is one death every 6,600 case. Within the last decade there has been more deaths from the measles vaccine in the US than the virus.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
I disagree. I never get them. I hate them.
Posted by ColeTrain 1 year ago
Hmm, interesting. The biggest argument would likely be in regards to religion. However, it being slightly socialistic would likely be a prevalent argument as well. I wish both debaters luck, I'd love to see how this debate turns out.

*Tip: @Douglas_MacArthur, make sure that your arguments are concise, yet comprehensive and well-rounded. I hope to see you succeed on this site.* :)
Vote Placed by ColeTrain 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF gives Pro arguments (con provided none) and conduct (con forfeited every round).