Beyoncebetwice
amarie1551

Vaccinations are necessary

Beyoncebetwice

Beyoncebetwice

Pro

Hey everyone.. If you accept this I'm sorry for the time limit. I just know I have a lot of time in the next few days so I wanted to have a debate I knew I could finish. I just want to say the first round is acceptance so please wait until the second round to state your stance. Thank you so much for your time and good luck!
amarie1551

Con

I myself do not think vaccinations are necessary. Usually every time I get one I end up getting sick after. Also some may have the risk of cancer or actually do cause it. There have been many recalls on vaccines, and the people who were the first to get them were at risk for disease or were left sick.
If people ate right and took care of their bodies we would not need them. Yes, there is bacteria and virus's but the healthier the person the less chance they are of getting sick.
Beyoncebetwice

Pro

Thank you for accepting and good luck. I will post my sources at the end. I would like to start off by talking about different types of vaccination, their ingredients, and how they are administered/ work. There are a few different types of vaccines. There are attenuated (live virus), inactive, subunit, toxoid, and conjugate vaccines. Each serves a different purpose and is extremely beneficial.
The attenuated vaccine contains microbes of a certain disease or bacteria that has been weakened in a lab so the disease is strong enough so the body can fight back, but not so strong any damage is done. These vaccines are the closest to natural infection so they are able to essentially teach the body how to overcome it. Though these vaccines are extremely effective, there is the slight chance (as with anything) that the microbe will mutate and cause disease. These anomalies generally occur in people with extremely weak immune systems. In a healthy person, the body learns how to fight the disease but doesn't get sick.
Inactive vaccines are created by using heat and chemicals to destroy the microbes. These vaccines are not as strong as live vaccines but they work better for those with weaker immune systems. Because they elicit a weaker immune response, these shots are administered over a period of time with several boosters. They don't require refrigeration so they can be shipped anywhere, essentially.
Subunit vaccines only contain certain antigens of a microbe, the ones that will cause the strongest immune reaction. As it does not contain the whole microbe, there is a severely decreased chance of a complication. Recombinant subunit vaccines were created and tested to treat hepatitis B. Scientists testing this vaccine inserted specific antigens into bakers bread and the yeast reproduced the antigens allowing them to collect more. Doctors and scientists are currently testing similar techniques to treat hepatitis C.
Toxoid vaccines are used when a toxic bacteria is concerned. When the body is introduced to the toxoid created in a lab (harmless to the body) it learns to fight it off, creating an immune response. The body produces antigens that lock onto and block the toxoid. These vaccines have been used to treat diphtheria and tetanus.
Conjugate vaccines are used to fight against bacterium with a polysaccharide coating. Many harmful bacteria have this coating, and the immune system, especially those of infants and young children, do not recognize it immediately, allowing the body to become sick. These vaccines are administered in small doses so the immature immune system becomes familiar with these bacteria and learns to fight it. When being made, scientists use antigens and microbes of the bacteria that the body will recognize and be able to fight. Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib) is a conjugate vaccine.
Many people have recently been refusing to get their children, or themselves, vaccinated. Their theories about vaccines are wrong. For example, many people believe that if other people are getting vaccinated, then they don't need to be. Skipping vaccinations can put children or babies at risk for possibly fatal diseases. In order for vaccines to work, there needs to be a certain number of people vaccinated. Scientists estimate that, "Unfortunately, the level of immunization required to prevent diseases such as measles from spreading from child to child is high as 95 percent." (Thomas Saari, M.d., Wisconsin Medical School) With many people refusing to vaccinate themselves and their children, there is not enough people vaccinated to provide "herd immunity." Approximately 80% of elementary school children are vaccinated. Though many people believe that because major likenesses are rarely seen in America anymore we don't need vaccines, that is a very dangerous misconception. Though for the most part major disease such as polio are not seen anymore, many America communities still have outbreaks of disease such as pertussis and other respiratory diseases.

The goal of vaccinatons is to prevent the spread of infectious diseases such as measles and mumps. They protect the public health. When vaccines first became prevalent we saw the eradication of disease like polio. Vaccinations provided protect against diseases that can lead to other serious health complications, and even death. These diseases include rotavirus, hep B, pneumococcal, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, hep A, varicella, meningococcal, and influenza. As with any medication, vaccinations can cause a minor reaction like redness or soreness or a low grade fever. None of these side effects result in long term damage, only discomfort for a few days. Professionals have stated that "the proven preventive benefits of vaccines far outweigh the risks of the minimal side effects associated with them." Vaccinations have been proven to be 90-100% of infections, and people who are 100% immune protect those with weaker systems. Many say that because we have eradicated many disease through vaccines, there is no need for immunizations. This misconception can cost lives, as those diseases are gone because of immunizations. Another myth people have about vaccines is that there is a connection between vaccinations and autism. People say the MMR vaccine contains thimerosal, a chemical that causes the brain disorder. In fact, the MMR virus has never contained thimerosal, and neither have the vaccines for chicken pox or inactive polio. If these vaccines were not administered we would see a rise in diseases that can be contagious and fatal. Though you say you receive vaccines and still get sick afterwards there is no way you do. It is impossible. Let's take the flu virus for example. The flu vaccine is an inactive immunization, so there are antigens from the virus in it. The sick feeling you may get after a shot is only the body fighting the vaccine after being introduced to it. That feeling is only your immune system growing stronger and protecting you but also the people you sit next to and the person you see on the bus or the person who gives you change at a convenience store. Vaccinations are necessary. They may seem like they do nothing because we do not see diseases like polio anymore but we don't see those anymore because we have vaccines. If we didn't have vaccines, we would see an uncontrollable rise in disease and death.
amarie1551

Con

amarie1551 forfeited this round.
Beyoncebetwice

Pro

I would first like to apologize for any misspellings in the previous round. I am typing on an older laptop and my keys keep sticking so please bear with me.

As my opponent has forfeited the previous round I would like to restate that vaccinations are 100% necessary to make sure disease like polio do not see a comeback. No matter how healthy a person is, no matter how much they take care of themselves they cannot change the strength of disease. They cannot prevent measles by eating salad, or run from hepatitis. It's the disease that decides who lives and who dies, who's sick and who's well. Do you think that every life that was taken by small pox didn't take care of themselves? Do you think that everyone who died of influenza was already sick or weak? No. Do you think that everyone who doesn't get the flu now takes care of themselves? Do you think everyone who has never been in contact with the chicken pox is healthy? No. They aren't sick because we have a vaccinations. What you may see as pointless is one of the most world changing discoveries in history.

As you have forfeited the last round I would like to say I hope everything is well and you just forgot. I sincerely hope everything is well and if not I would like to say I hope it gets better. Goodnight:)
amarie1551

Con

amarie1551 forfeited this round.
Beyoncebetwice

Pro

I am sincerely sorry for this waste of time. I wish my opponent had not accepted this debate if they could not finish it. I was looking forward to debating this topic and it was a complete waste of time. I do hope everything is alright and my opponent just forgot, but I am very disappointed. I'm sorry for this. As my opponent has forfeited the last two rounds I encourage you vote for me because of bad conduct. I will be reposting this debate and I hope someone can debate this who actually wants to, instead of forfeiting every round.

Vaccinations are necessary to maintain the health of many countries. In the past few years America has seen a rise in diseases like pertussis because of people against vaccinations. It is vital for the health of our world to continue to vaccinate.

Again, I also apologize for my spelling mistakes. As I said before, my computer keys were sticking and I have an older phone that I can't type well on.
amarie1551

Con

amarie1551 forfeited this round.
Posted by Beyoncebetwice 2 years ago
Beyoncebetwice
Again, I apologize for my spelling mistakes. My keys kept sticking so I tried to type it on my phone but it's also an older phone and it doesn't let me type well. It's really slow. So again I'm so sorry for my misspellings. I am trying to make everything as grammatically correct as possible.
Posted by Beyoncebetwice 2 years ago
Beyoncebetwice
I think the topic is fine the way it is. It is general enough to have different point of views but narrow enough to make a good debate of it. I my self have debated this exact topic in person and it has been perfectly fine.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
You may wish to define your terms, and expand the resolution for clarity.
Vote Placed by sjrrj 2 years ago
sjrrj
Beyoncebetwiceamarie1551Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is totally right. Con forfeited. I gave spelling and grammar to pro just because it wasn't her fault. I hope this debate is redone because I'd love to see con's opinion. Pro's facts say this would be a great debate to read.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Beyoncebetwiceamarie1551Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
Beyoncebetwiceamarie1551Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments remain uncontested due to Con forfeiting.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Beyoncebetwiceamarie1551Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff