SlenderKitty
Thrillogy

Vaccines should be mandatory

SlenderKitty

Pro

I believe vaccines should be mandatory (unless you have an allergy or some other medical problem), because it is for the greater good of the public.

My preferred opponent would be an anti-vaxxer, although if you are a pro-vaxxer and against mandatory vaccinations, that is fine too.
Thrillogy

Con

Hello. I am a strong supporter of vaccination. In fact, I support mandatory vaccination in many circumstances. However, I do not support the idea of mandatory vaccination for the entire populous, especially under your proposed strategy. This will only be an exceptance , as you are the one making the positive claim, which must then be supported by evidence, but I will do all I can to clarify the debate topic. Please provide all possible information you have in your response, as this will allow me to form a cohesive argument. Until then, I must draw some conclusions-

-You are suggesting mandatory vaccination to be instituted in the United States. I assume this because this is my country, and this is a hotly debated topic here, along with the fact that this site appears to be primarily (but not entirely) American.
-You are suggesting mandatory vaccination for all members of the populous, from birth to death.
-You are suggesting that the sole exception for this should be in the case of a health detriment making vaccination impossible and/or a severe detriment to the person in question.

Please let me know if this is not what you mean, and I will attempt to adjust the argument. In addition to this, I am communicating through a mobile device, and this causes occasional spelling and grammatical errors. I apologize for this in advance.

With regards,
Thrillogy.
SlenderKitty

Pro

I thank Con for accepting this debate, and yes, that is my standpoint.

First, I would like to talk about why people might not vaccinate. There are many different reasons, some of which are more absurd than others. However, I would like to start off with some reasons why perfectly reasonable people might not vaccinate:
1. They have heard of the "dangers" of vaccination and wish to be cautious. Online, there are thousands of trash blogs talking about how vaccines cause ASD and other "terrible diseases." Due to the sheer amount of these blogs, a mother trying to research about vaccinations may come across one. Unless the mother has been completely informed on vaccines and their benefits, it is completely possible that she will be swayed by their arguments.

2. They want to have their own decision. Now, don't get me wrong. I completely support having your own opinions. However, studies show that parents who think about vaccines instead of trusting their doctor are 8x more likely to reevaluate the decision to vaccinate (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...). With all the mistrust in the government as well as the power of anecdotal online blogs, that number shouldn't be a surprise.

3. Religious beliefs. I completely respect religions, even though I am an atheist (hopefully that doesn't cost me votes), and I am completely aware of what the Constitution may say. However, no one will allow an Islamic radical to blow up their family for "religious freedom." The difference here is the freedom of religion vs. the welfare of the public. There are religions that prohibit vaccinations, and many anti-vaxxers are falsely saying that they are part of a religion to get a free "get out of getting vaccinated" ticket. When weighing religion against vaccinations, I would support vaccinations all the way.
Thrillogy

Con

Thrillogy forfeited this round.
SlenderKitty

Pro

It appears my opponent has not given any arguments/refutations.

Extend.
Thrillogy

Con

Thrillogy forfeited this round.
Thrillogy

Con

Thrillogy forfeited this round.
SlenderKitty

Pro

Extend all and vote Pro!
Thrillogy

Con

Thrillogy forfeited this round.
Posted by SlenderKitty 1 year ago
SlenderKitty
Crap. What do I do now.
Posted by Prodigy0789 1 year ago
Prodigy0789
Finding someone opposed to vaccinations on this website should not be that hard. Good Luck!
Posted by SlenderKitty 1 year ago
SlenderKitty
Usually (children's) vaccines are covered by insurance or they're free.
Posted by SlenderKitty 1 year ago
SlenderKitty
Posted by Biodome 1 year ago
Biodome
In practice, it would be nearly impossible to enforce a mandatory vaccination involving all vaccines. First of all, there are tons of vaccines. It would take years and years to vaccinate one person with all of those. Secondly, many vaccines have an actual cost, so if a person cannot pay for their vaccines, what then?
Posted by SlenderKitty 1 year ago
SlenderKitty
I just realized I forgot to add something. That could've been bad xD
Posted by Almec 1 year ago
Almec
All vaccines
Posted by Death23 1 year ago
Death23
Which ones?
Posted by SlenderKitty 1 year ago
SlenderKitty
That's cool. I love destroying anti-vaxxers arguments :D
Posted by Almec 1 year ago
Almec
What do you know. I just mentioned a debate like this on the other Vaccine thread.
I'd like to enter this debate, but I'll wait to give an Anti-Vaxxer a chance first since I'd like to see that debate.