Valve is the best gaming company in the world

Started: 4/10/2013 Category: Technology

Valve is the best gaming company out there because the majority of valves games win game of the year and are more bang for your buck with a great story line. Such games valve has developed are is The Half-Life series, Portal Series, Team Fortress series, and The left 4 dead series. Also Valve has a great CEO in Gabe Newell who truley care about gaming rather than making a quick buck. Another thing about Valve is that they don't run their game franchises into the groung by making new games in the series year after year like the Call of Duty series. And because valve does not do that it make us gamers wanting more instead of being bored.

As my opponent has not given us a framework to build this round off of, I have taken it upon myself to do so.

Round 1 is acceptance and opening arguments,
and round 2 is rebuttal and closing statements.

Next, we must define the terms of the resolution, being: "Valve is the best gaming company in the world."

Valve is defined as the Valve Corporation,
Best is defined as: "(superlative of `good') having the most positive qualities"(Princeton WordNet,
Gaming company is defined as a company that makes games.
and the World is defined as Earth, and all that lies upon it.

I will be opposing the resolution, stating that Valve is not the best gaming company in the world, for two reasons:

1) Valve not the 'best'

A-Based on the definition of best, the Pro must prove(as the Pro has the Burden of Proof) that Valve has 'the most positive qualities'. Furthermore, because of the wording of the resolution, the most positive qualities refer to the corporation's standing as a company, and as a producer of games.

B-Valve does not have the most positive qualities as a company, nor as a producer of games. In terms of a company, they routinely lower prices on their 'Steam' game service to inconceivable levels, making them economically unfounded. In terms of a producer, they have failed to release games on time, ever. Look at Half-Life 2: Episode 3. They JUST released it. Team fortress 2 took 7 years to finish. They are not the 'best gaming company', in the world, or even America.

2) Valve not only 'gaming company'

My opponent would have you believe that Valve is the only gaming company in the world. However, there are multiple other, better companies out there. For example, Bethesda. They release games sporadically, but they meet deadlines.

My definition includes non-video game companies, as well. Can the Pro prove superiority?

I conclude.

I'm sorry for not stating what the framework of the rounds, I'm still new to this. But any ways lets continue.

In response to your comment about how valve routinley lowers their prices on steam; is because Valve does not try to rob people of their money just for a game. Whereas a seller of videogames like gamestop for example still charges $29.99 for portal 2 even though it was released in 2011. Another thing you previously stated is that Valve fails to release video games on time and that Bethesda make deadlines. Not to nitpick at your facts but Bethesda had continuely failed to release all three of the Skyrim DLC's to the Ps3. It took roughly 8 months for the dawnguard dlc to be released on the Ps3. To sum up no gaming company is perfect about releasing games not Valve not Bethesda ect....

In other words the quality of Valve's games should be respected by everyone. It may have taken 7 years to make Team Fortress 2 but you can't argue how great the graphics were considering it was released in 2007. Valves game quality is so fantastic that not too long ago Half-Life 2 was selected as game of the decade.

Vote Pro :D !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Enclave, for responding, and for summarizing your position. However, I would like to point out a few things.

Starting with the Pro's burden in this debate, as enumerated by the resolution, 'Valve is the best gaming company in the world', I stated in my Round 1 speech that a gaming company is a company that makes games. I also touched upon the Pro's burden of defending the Valve Corporation over all other companies, video game based or not. Hasbro makes all sorts of board games, as does Parker Brothers. Wizards of the Coast makes D&D, and a host of other games. Sony owns Sony Pictures, who owns Jeopardy Productions, INC, who produces JEOPARDY!, a game show. Has the Pro proven superiority? No. And for this reason, you, the voters, should vote Con in this debate.

Second, It is not the Con's postition in this debate that Valve is not valued as a company. In fact, I am a frequent player of Team Fortress, and one of my favorite games is Portal. However, as the Con, I am required to prove that Valve is not the best gaming company in the world. Rather, the Con's position is to prove that Valve is ONE OF the best game companies in the world.

Finally, the Pro has failed to prove his position, including the Burden of Proof, by proving his position that Valve is the best gaming company. Rather, he has attacked my example of Bethesda. Who cares if Bethesda doesn't release games on time? What matters is if Enclave has proven his position and refuted mine. He(or she) has not.

In summary, the Pro has not proven his position in the debate, yet I have.

For all of these reasons, I urge, nay, implore, you to vote for the Con in this round.
Posted by TeamPolicy 3 years ago
I apologize, Ragnar. I had some factual error there. I genuinely apologize, and would ask your forgiveness.

I will attempt to better defend my position as soon as Enclave posts his round 2 arguments.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
I feel round 1 goes to Pro.
Con states "Look at Half-Life 2: Episode 3. They JUST released it." Which they most certainly have not. Me kept eagerly awaiting it, could be claimed by either side as it's annoying for us, but builds desire for their product. However cancelled games are pretty standard.
Bethesda is likely better, as Con has suggested, but I did not see enough proof of such.
Posted by TeamPolicy 3 years ago
Well, I apologize, Doctor.
Posted by DoctorDeku 3 years ago
NOOOOO!!! I should have take this debate when I had the chance :(
Posted by Noswad63 3 years ago
But Valve Cant Count To 3 (Where is Half-Life 3?).
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Con could take the side of any company, likely best with one that mass produces as many games as possible; therefore winning more awards total.

If valve video games are better but so very rare, is not proof of which is a better company.
Vote Placed by Gondun 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I think that Pro won because he made arguments for Valve, but Con only said he did not prove it enough.