StudentDebater
joshuroar

Vegan vs. Carnivore Diet

StudentDebater has forfeited round #2.

StudentDebater

Pro

Veganism and or vegetarianism is how our bodies are built. We are not meant to captivate, torture, and eat other concious beings. We need to eat the closest things we can get to the earth, raw vegetables and limited processed foods. Why would you support factory farming? Most people, when asked, don't even know where their meat comes from. If you are actually a conscientious human that actually cares, check out the book Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows by Melanie Joy.
If you agree with the methods of how you get your food, you are one sick human.
joshuroar

Con

Thanks for the point of view. I'll try to just go through everything point by point.

1) Veganism (or vegetarianism) is how our bodies are built.

This is simply factually incorrect. I can tell that you're coming from a good place, but that doesn't change the facts of human history. Our development as humans has included meat as a necessary component dating back millions of years. In nature, and without access to meat, we wouldn't have developed as we know ourselves today. There simply weren't enough calories available otherwise to select for the large, calorie-hungry brains we have.

Our relatively small teeth and jaws didn't come about until after we had developed processing techniques for our food. Those processing techniques required large brains to develop, and those brains required high-calorie diets that were only attainable through meat eating at the time.

Here's the research backing this up: http://nature.com...

2) We are not meant to [eat animals].

I have to respond to this statement with a question. What does it mean to be "meant to" do something? If you're making a historical argument, I refer you to (1). If you're talking about a directive from a higher power, then I would inquire as to which higher power you are referencing? Either way, I'll need some more information to be able to discuss this point.

3) We need to eat raw vegetables and limited processed foods.

I would say this depends on your personal preference and certainly isn't a need in the strictest sense. Our survival doesn't depend on this. You'll be perfectly fine eating cooked vegetables. As far as processed foods, if by "processed" you mean "exclusively McDonalds" then yes, perhaps we will have some negative health impacts. However, many normal healthy foods are heavily processed. Consider whole grain bread, pasta, nuts, yogurt, etc

(4) Why would you support factory farming?

I'm not sure, but it's not necessary to support factory farming to have a diet that includes meat. Alternatives to factory farming are sometimes labelled "organic" farming or "sustainable" farming. Simply buy meat from labels who use the farming methodologies you support.

5) Most people, when asked, don't even know where their meat comes from.

Well, in a sense, I believe they do understand. The steak comes from a cow, the bacon from a pig, etc. They may not know which farm it comes from, but I would suspect that the same is true of an average person who buys a bag of spinach from the store. Does this person know the details of the farm or the details of the process by which the spinach was planted, harvested, transported?

6) book plug and sick human comment

no comment