Veganism is the healthiest diet for humans and the planet

Vegan - A completely plant-based diet that consists of no animal products whatsoever which means no dairy and eggs either.
Eating a vegan diet is the healthiest diet a person can eat. It is also the best diet for the overall human population in order to sustain the environment and the planet.

1st round acceptance. Provide some sources.

I would like to thank my opponent for taking the time to debate this subject. I look forward to an interseting and informative debate. My opponent has requested sources for my opening but as he did not provide any in his opening I feel I would be at a disadvantage offering mine now instead offering them in support of my arguments.

I will say that I agree that a vegan diet is healthy as vegetables are packed with nutrients and fiber but I don't think that a vegan diet is any more healthy than a well balanced diet which includes some animals.

Thank you devout_skeptic for accepting the challenge. Goodluck! :)

First I just want to say that I am not here to brag that Vegans are superior and put down meat eaters because I was a meat eater myself so I can understand.
My opponent stated that he agrees on a vegan diet being healthy since it is packed with nutrients and fiber.
Though, he believes that a well balanced diet that includes animals is healthier. I would argue that reducing meat and animal products as much as possible from our diet would make us healthier. It is a fact that plant-based whole foods are nutritionally dense superior than meat and animal products in terms of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. [1]
This leads me to assume that the main reason why my opponent would feel that meat is necessary in our diet is because of protein.

Where do vegans get their protein?
Probably the biggest issue that people have with veganism is not being able to get enough protein. Plant-based foods such as beans, legumes, grains, and nuts provide more than enough protein with all the essential amino acids you need, by combining a variety of plant foods such as brown rice and peas for example. There are also vegan protein powders and also supplements like spirulina which has one of the highest bioavailability of protein. [2]

2. Plant vs. animal protein
Plant protein doesn't have the adverse health effects of eating animal products. Animal products promote inflammation and causes bloatiness, gas, and constipation.[3] Consuming animal protein increases the release of the cancer-promoting growth hormone called IGF-1 in our body which is necessary for children's body to grow and teenagers during puberty. Meanwhile adults don't need anymore growth, and producing IGF-1 increases growth of all the cells in the body including the cancer cells. On the other hand plant protein actually reduces IGF-1 hormones in the body.[4]

A research experiment called
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, which is considered the most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted, observed that people who ate a plant-based vegan diet reduced and even reversed the development of degenerative diseases. [5] Also, medical professional Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn published a book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease in which he conducted a 20-year study on the effects of nutrition on heart disease with his patients, and concluded the same results as the China Study.[6] Dr. John McDougall, another medical pro, also wrote a book, The Starch Solution, which he conducted a study on his patients based on a plant-based diet, primarily starch.
He observed third generation youths from asian pacific backgrounds who ate diets high in meat/animal products were much fatter and sicker compared to their 1st gen grandparents who ate mainly a plant-based diet of rice and vegetables.[7]

Dairy/animal protein
Though it is widely believed that drinking milk promotes strong bones, it actually has the opposite intended effect.
Like all meat and animal products, milk is very acidic in which our body's response is to neutralize it. Calcium is a great acid neutralizer and so our body strips calcium from our bones to neutralize the acidity.[8]
Yes, cholesterol is necessary for our body, but eating meat/animal products raises LDL , the bad cholesterol. On the other hand plant-based foods decreases LDL, and raises HDL which is the good cholesterol.[9] Dairy products such as milk and cheese basically have the same nutritional composition as meat, high in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Because meat/animal products are all higher in saturated fat, cholesterol, people who eat them significantly increase the chance of getting colon cancer, liver cancer, coronory heart disease, and other degenerative diseases that are common in the western diet today.

Omega 3's
Most people would think that we eating fish is the only way to get Omega 3s. The fact is that many plant foods such as flax seeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds are rich exellent sources of omega 3s, so fish is not necessary. [10]
Though most people would regard fish as the healthiest source of meat, it still has animal protein which promotes acidity, inflammation, and digestive problems.

5. Vitamin B-12
Another popular myth is that you can only get B-12 through consumption of animal products. B-12 is actually produced in bacteria ubiquitously found in dirt that accumulates on organic fresh fruits and vegetables. We also produce our own B-12 naturally through the bacteria present in our digestive system. Even people who eat animal products can still be B-12 deficient, because being able to absorb B-12 is just as important as getting it. B-12 absorption depends on our lifestyle and overall nutrition. [11]

6. Humans are biologically & anatomically designed to eat plant-based foods
First, the human digestive track is long and intricate which allows us to absorb the nutrients and fiber from plant foods.
A carnivore's track is short, smooth, and very acidic which allows for a quick easy digestion of decomposing carcass.
Second, human's lack the sharp teeth and fangs of carnivores that are designed to rip flesh. Humans also don't have claws which carnivores use to catch and anchor prey.[12]

Vegan Athletic Performance
There are many world class athletes and bodybuilders that perform on a plant-based/vegan diet such as...
1. Michael Arnstein (ultra endurance runner)
2. Rich Roll (triathlete),
3. Harley Johnstone aka "Durianrider" (ultra endurance runner and cyclist)
4. Frank Medrano (calisthenics bodybuilder)
5. Sherif Kamal (Fitness model/bodybuilder)
6. Karl Ess (bodybuilder)
7. Patrik Baboumian (bodybuilder/Germany's strongest man)
8. Mac Danzig (mixed martial arts)
...just to name a few.

I'm not saying that you cannot eat meat and be healthy at the same time. You certainly can depending on the ratio of meat you eat with plant foods. Though research and studies shows that the closer to a plant-based diet we eat and eliminating as much meat as possible, the lower our chances of getting heart disease, cancer, and other degenerative diseases present today. Since plant foods are the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, and can provide all the protein, carbs, and good fats that our body needs, there is no question that meat is not necessary in our diet, and would make us healthier and live longer.

devout_skeptic forfeited this round.

The Japanese island of Okinawa has the highest percentage of centenarians in the world. This is because their diet is essentially plant based foods: fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes (their staple food), soy (fresh tofu), green tea, and fish. Although fish was a part of their diet, they actually would only eat it in very small portions. They very rarely eat meat/animal products and only as a treat. Because they're diet is high plant-based and high carb, low in saturated fats , the Okinawans are generally slim and trim. They have very good protection against heart diseases and cancers.;;

devout_skeptic forfeited this round.

geothermal forfeited this round.

devout_skeptic forfeited this round.

geothermal forfeited this round.

devout_skeptic forfeited this round.
Posted by geothermal 3 years ago
@TeaPartyAtheist: Sure that's fine but the 18th sounds an awful long time, and someone will probably have already challenged me by then.
Posted by geothermal 3 years ago
That's good you've taken red meat and dairy out of your diet. But here's the thing, I cannot tell you what you can and cannot eat; This will all depend on what your goals are; so it's your choice and stick with what you feel works for you. Personally I feel that we do not need any meat or animal products at all to live a healthy fit life. I'm not saying that you can't live a healthy life if you eat meat. As long you eat it in moderation and of course exercise, you'll be fine. Going 100% vegan is just taking your health to the next level and is something that not everybody is physically and/or mentally ready for. I used to eat meat, loved bacon, hamburgers, chicken, then gradually restricted to only fish and eggs, then eventually no meat product. I feel more energy that I have ever felt before and don't feel bloated before when I used to take whey protein those kinds of stuff after workouts.
Posted by vbaculum 3 years ago
85% is better than nothing. Dark chocolate is vegan, though.
Posted by TeaPartyAtheist 3 years ago
I am a virtual carnivore and would debate you, but I will be travelling this week. If you get no one to debate you, I will accept on the 18th.
Posted by GeneralChaos 3 years ago
I've cut out dairy and red meat. Love chickens and eggs too much though. Using Vegan Protein instead of Whey Protein. And organic veg whenever possible. Vegan is the best choice overall, but a big ask in terms of sacrifice - no chocolate, no chicken, no cheese, etc. 85% vegan good enough?
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Both Ffed but pro was just stronger. Very simply, con did not even put up a fight