dynamicduodebaters
InfiniteBears

Vegetable Gardens (pro) VS Flower Gardens (con)

dynamicduodebaters

dynamicduodebaters

Pro

We are back!
Hope everyone is having a great summer. Today we will be debating "Vegetable Gardens (pro) VS Flower Gardens (con)." We, the DDD (Jacobie1121 + DarthKirones) will be arguing for the Pro side.

Round 1: Acceptance only
Round 2: up to 3 arguments- no rebuttals
Round 3: up to 3 arguments- no rebuttals
round 4: rebuttals and conclusions. NO ADDITIONAL POINTS

no swearing

Thanks,
DDD
InfiniteBears

Con

Hello.
I don't know what I got my self into, haha.
But I accept even though I am in the minority (based on all of the comments) and I'm looking forward to your first argument!
dynamicduodebaters

Pro

Let's start.

First off, I would like to define flower gardens and vegetable gardens.

"A vegetable garden (also known as a vegetable patch or vegetable plot) is a garden that exists to grow vegetables and other plants useful for human consumption"

By this definition fruits and herbs count as part of a vegetable garden.

"A flower garden is any garden where flowers are grown for decorative purposes."

(1)

First of all, the most obvious benefit of having a vegetable garden is that you grow your own food. Fruit, vegetables and herbs are very important to the human diet. While you can just pick some produce up your local market these store-bought produce is not as nearly as fresh and high-quality as grown food.

At stores the seeds are chosen for their transportability and shelf-life and not for their quality, health benefits and ripeness. The conditions that the seeds are raised in are "not consistent." Once the the produce is ready machines pick the fruits which can cause injury and the loss of nutrients from the produce. There is also the possibility that the food will be harvested prematurely, if that happens the food may taste bad and have less nutrients inside of it. When the produce is being taken to the market it can travel up to or more than 2414 km (1500 miles) during the trip the produce will lose nutrients every day it is on the road.

The solution to that is home-grown produce. If you want to learn more about the benefits of home-grown produce over store-bought produce then read this. I ask my opponent to read this link before he posts his argument.

http://www.aerogardenblog.com...

Grown produce is much more high quality than what you would get at Superstore, or Costco or any supermarket. And not only does this food taste better it is much more healthy!

"People who grow their own vegetables are also more likely to eat fresh, seasonal foods that are high in fiber and low in fat."

And that is not all! In the second part of my argument I shall explain even more health benefits that are not only food related .

(2)

Let's be honest. No one likes hard work. Hard work is called hard for a reason. But hard work has it's benefits. The same thing goes with gardening. The harder you work making your garden great the better you fruits, vegetables and herbs will be! And plus, all of that hard work and toll on your body is for the better. Gardening helps burn body fat, grow muscles and help give you a longer, healthier, happier life!

Now you could say that tending to flower gardens can also help you become more healthy, to that I say yes, tending to a flower garden will give you the same health benefits. BUT, I think that tending to a vegetable garden has a point unlike flower gardens. Flower gardens are meant for aesthetics while vegetable gardens are used for food. Food is necessary for human survival thus making vegetable gardens much more worth the hard work.

Would you rather have nice looking plants or food so you can live? The answer is obvious. I think that you and I prefer to be alive than dying. The labor that you are doing with your vegetable garden is worth the pain unlike flower gardens which is purely for decoration. Besides, vegetable gardens can be pretty even if that is not it's purpose.

(3)

In this final part of my argument I will discuss the economic side of vegetable gardening.

Not only can you eat fresh produce but you can sell it!

"Locally sourced produce is increasingly on the menu at restaurants and on sale in markets and shops. So if you've got a glut of gooseberries or a rash of raspberries and radishes, perhaps you could make some money from them.

Several projects have sprung up with the aim of helping people gain an income off the land. The bad news is that you're unlikely to make enough to give up the day job, but selling your surplus should make tending the veg plot more worthwhile."

Gardening may not make you Bill Gates, but the more money to pay the bills and feed the family the better! I am sure some people take seeds out the food they produced and plant those seeds so they can get even more produce which means more money!

But of course, there are costs. Gardens need a lot of care and you will need lots of supplies. Supplies cost money. So yes, vegetable gardens will cost you money. However, flower gardens require care as well, so by saying that flower gardens are better than vegetable gardens are better because of costs is totally useless. Plus the money spent on vegetable gardens is much more worth it!

As they say, you gotta spend money to make money.

http://www.theguardian.com...

http://www.livestrong.com...

Back to you, pro!

DDD
InfiniteBears

Con

Honestly when I saw how long your argument was I couldn't myself to read it.

Reasons why flower gardens are better!

1. Pretty flowers are better.
source - my brain.

Now lets get into the definition of an opinion since this is a debate based on opinion!

Definition - a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
source - http://dictionary.reference.com...

I could go into a bunch of reasons why I think flower gardens are better than vegetable gardens but opinions are irrelevant.

I could also list a bunch of facts about flowers which would be unnecessary. I will list one fact for fun just to show you vegetable gardens aren't the only garden you could eat from.

1) There are more than 42 flowers that you can eat.
Source - http://www.treehugger.com...
So basically you can eat from flower gardens.

Also I would like to address some of your benefits of a vegetable garden.

1) "Grown produce is much more high quality than what you would get at Superstore, or Costco or any supermarket. And not only does this food taste better it is much more healthy!"

I could say the same thing with flowers in a garden then instead of them in a flower shop. They look better and are more fresh.

2) "Would you rather have nice looking plants or food so you can live? The answer is obvious. I think that you and I prefer to be alive than dying."

I don't have a vegetable garden and I'm not dying.

3) "Not only can you eat fresh produce but you can sell it!"

I can sell flowers to make money.

4) "Gardening helps burn body fat, grow muscles and help give you a longer, healthier, happier life!"

Can I actually see the statistics for that? Or is this just another assumption you made?

As you can see this debate is going to go no where.
dynamicduodebaters

Pro

Thank you con.

I would just like to point out that you completely broke conduct:

"Round 2: up to 3 arguments- NO REBUTTALS "

Definition of rebuttal (thanks Google):

"A refutation or contradiction. Synonyms: refutation, denial, countering, invalidation, negation, contradiction."

Now you see how you broke conduct? You accepted my terms but then you went against them by stating rebuttals early!

Anyways:

(4)

Have you ever heard of victory gardens?

"Victory gardens, also called war gardens or food gardens for defense, were vegetable, fruit, and herb gardens planted at private residences and public parks in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Germany during World War I and World War II. They were used along with food stamps to reduce pressure on the public food supply."{1}

But let's go back to the beginning, during WW1. Food production had fallen off a cliff, and the solution was victory gardens. They cultivated available land and resulted in over 5 million gardens in the USA {1}. Heck, even during WW1, President Woodrow Wilson said that "Food will win the war."

OK now to WW2:

"Amid regular rationing of food in Britain, a poster campaign ("Plant more in '44!") encouraged the planting of victory gardens by nearly 20 million Americans during the course of World War II. These gardens produced up to 40% of all the vegetable produce being consumed in the USA. It was emphasized to American home front urbanites and suburbanites that the produce from their gardens would help to lower the price of vegetables needed by the US War Department to feed the troops, thus saving money that could be spent elsewhere on the military: "Our food is fighting," one US poster read."

Wow! 40% of all the vegetable produce being consumed in the USA." That is very impressive!

So you can see that victory gardens was very important during the wars to make sure that the people didn't starve. And it's not like you could do this with flower gardens. Growing flowers really does not help a starving people. Even if you grew edible flowers, there are way more vegetables, and lots of vegetables, fruits, and herbs, taste great compared to something that is edible but might not taste great.

(5)

Fruits and Vegetables can be beautiful too!

For example, take the Romanesco broccoli:

http://www.debate.org...

It was named one of wired.com's most stunning natural fractal patterns {2}

Or take the pomegranate tree:

http://www.debate.org...

It looks beautiful with it's unique round shape and bright color.

Finally, take the chive, a very common yet stunningly purple flower:

http://www.debate.org...

Tasty and pretty.

(6)

For our last point, we will go through all the disadvantages of flower gardens. And just to clarify, almost all of the point will be based off of reference {3). This point will be in three parts:

Part one: Aggressive/Invasive

Flowers can be very invasive. Many repopulate way too easily. Some float on wind or water, like the dame's rocket. Some can "be carried by animals or people to others areas where they drop and take root." Other flowers, commonly known as ground covers, "create dense surface stems and underground rooting systems making them difficult to eradicate." Part

Part two: Poison

"Digestive upset and irregular heart beat can occur if the foliage of lily of the valley is eaten. Consuming the leaves of foxglove, a tall perennial flower, can cause the heart to beat so irregularly, it could be fatal. Seek immediate medical attention for anyone thought to have eaten any part of poisonous plants."

Enough said...

Part three: Allergic reactions

"Flowers produce pollen as part of their reproductive process. For individuals sensitive to flower pollen, blooming flowers like dahlia or sunflower can cause sneezing, itchy eyes or runny nose."

I have pollen allergies, and they are very annoying. But that is not the only flower that makes people allergic. Some flowers, like sweet alyssum, can cause a rash when touched.

That is all for today,
DDD

And please read this one, Infinitebears!

BOY am I looking forward to the rebuttal round :)

References:

{1} http://en.wikipedia.org...

{2} http://www.wired.com...

{3} http://www.gardenguides.com...
InfiniteBears

Con

InfiniteBears forfeited this round.
dynamicduodebaters

Pro

INTRODUCTION

Oh, such a shame you’ve forfeited. I always love writing long rebuttals. And honestly your second round doesn’t give much stuff to refute. But anyways, here we go:

REBUTTAL

I stated this before and I will state it again:

Definition of rebuttal (thanks Google):

Then, you went on to say how this debate is about opinions and so it is not worth it to state it because opinions are irrelevant.

Ok this is flawed in so many ways:

1: Why would you accept this debate if you knew it was about opinions and then you wouldn’t debate with them? Why?

2: Opinions are based on facts. Just because we don’t statistically state numbers and quotes, we are still saying things based off of the references and the bottom of the page.

3: From Debate.org: “Debate.org is a free online community where intelligent minds from around the world come to debate online and read the opinions of others.” You see? Debate.org

is about opinions.

4: Isn’t that a opinion? You saying that they are irrelevant! That is a opinion! My opinion is that opinions are not irrelevant but your opinion on opinion’s is that they are irelevant!

“I could also list a bunch of facts about flowers which would be unnecessary.”

What? You think facts are irrelevant too? This is a debate! For goodness sake, facts prove your side in a debate! They give you evidence! I can’t believe that I have to tell you this! And then you go and give a fact! I will address that right now:

Ok to address your one and only “fact.” The fact that you stated after saying that facts are irrelevant.

“There are more than 42 flowers that you can eat. So basically you can eat from flower gardens.”

I wonder how that would taste. Just because they are edible doesn’t mean they taste in the least bit good! Take silkworms, they are edible, but imagine how disgusting they would taste! {1}

Also, ok so there are some edible flowers, but how many edible vegetables, fruits and herbs combined are there?

Just between the number of veggies and fruits that were common had over 200!

And now do address your rebuttals that you shouldn't have posted but you did.

“I could say the same thing with flowers in a garden then instead of them in a flower shop. They look better and are more fresh.”

So, how does that make flower gardens better? How would that make vegetable gardens any worse? I agree with you, flowers from gardens are much better in quality and freshness, but the only purpose of the produce is much better, CONSUMPTION. Your point does not prove that vegetable gardens are not better than flower gardens

“I don't have a vegetable garden and I'm not dying.”

Maybe you are not dying, maybe I’m not dying, but read this.

“According to the Food and Agriculture Organization, the less severe condition of undernourishment currently affects about 842 million people, or about one in eight (12.5%) people in the world population.”

Sometimes people forget how lucky they are that they have what they have. Alot of those starving people would be very grateful to have those food gardens.

“I can sell flowers to make money.”

Again, this does not make vegetable gardens any worse.

I cannot find anything saying how much money people can make from selling flowers, but I found this.

‘“Tim and Jill Stark, owners of Eckerton Hill farms in Hamburg, PA, welling their colored and flavored peppers. They have been gardening for profit since 1995. The business cleared $25,000 last year. We could have made our money just selling to restaurants, says Tim, but getting a price worth our time was too tough. If you have a great product and you know it, you should be bold and charge what you think you're worth...and don't be afraid to start small.”

This article was in 1999. As the population grows so does the need for food, which means more sales which equals more money.

“Can I actually see the statistics for that? Or is this just another assumption you made?”

How about this?

“HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU BURN WHILE GARDENING AT 125 POUNDS

The average 125 pound person will burn 308 calories per hour while gardening.

HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU BURN WHILE GARDENING AT 150 POUNDS

The average 150 pound person will burn 369 calories per hour while gardening.

HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU BURN WHILE GARDENING AT 185 POUNDS

The average 185 pound person will burn 455 calories per hour while gardening.

HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU BURN WHILE GARDENING AT 215 POUNDS

The average 215 pound person will burn 528 calories per hour while gardening.

HOW MANY CALORIES DO YOU BURN WHILE GARDENING AT 250 POUNDS

The average 250 pound person will burn 615 calories per hour while gardening”

CONCLUSION

WHY I HAVE WON:

-My opponent violated conduct

-I have made better and more arguments

-I refuted all of his points

-My opponent’s definition of opinion is false because he provided only one source for his arguments

References:

{1} http://www.smosh.com...

{2} http://vegetablesfruitsgrains.com...

{3} http://voices.yahoo.com...

{4} http://en.wikipedia.org...

{5}http://www.motherearthnews.com...

{6} http://voices.yahoo.com...

Thanks for debating me!

Vote pro!

InfiniteBears

Con

InfiniteBears forfeited this round.
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
Tic tock tic tock
Less than half an hour buddy
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
just let us debate
and stop putting down our debate
we can debate whatever and your gonna have to deal with it
Posted by jacobie1121 2 years ago
jacobie1121
Keep your comments to yourself
And stop trashing the debate
Posted by thenewkidd 2 years ago
thenewkidd
AND,
Neither are mutually exclusive.

Con suggest "against" which who is going to be against Vegetable Gardens... when you can be "Pro" both. and "Con" (or against) Both.
Posted by thenewkidd 2 years ago
thenewkidd
I don't think anyone is going to deal with it.

There is not logical reason either could viably debate this as I pointed out already.

I think Pizza is better because you can put all sorts of toppings on it.
Well I think Paintings are better because of how pretty they are to look at.

Do you see how fruitless that is..
Neither are related with each other at all.
Deal with it... This is hardly a debate.. and most people recognize this..
dynamicduodebaters
ok whatever
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
You opened this 6 hours a go. What's the rush?
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
dynamicduodebaters
sigh....anyone want to accept?
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
Obviously vegetable gardens are better
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
dynamicduodebatersInfiniteBearsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
dynamicduodebatersInfiniteBearsTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff and at the end failed to rebut arguments