NedaViana
tonyrobinson

Vegetarianism is good for your health

NedaViana

Con

This round is just for acceptance. Do not state your first argument here.
tonyrobinson

Pro

Challenge accepted.
NedaViana

Con

Thank you for accepting.

First of all I would like to say that vegetarianism is a terrible idea because we are omnivores, so we need both animals and plants in our diet.

But my first main argument is about the medical condition risks.
First of all you do not get enough vitamin B12 which means you don't have the proper vitamin to create your DNA, function the brain and make red blood cells. You also could get the symptoms: sore tongue, constipation or diarrhea, rapid breathing and heartbeat, easy bruising and bleeding, upset stomach, tiredness and weakness.
You can get vitamin B12 by eating a lot of dairy foods but even that would cause diarrhea, and even the much rarer problems could be some kinds of cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Believe it or not, one study showed 92% of vegetarians have vitamin B12 deficiency.

Other nutrition things needed that vegans don't get a lot are:
1. Animal protein; animal protein is important for muscle mass, bone structure and more importantly, amino acids.
2. Creatine; low creatine is harmful for muscle and brain function.
3. Omega-3 fatty acid; helps depression, prevents asthma, helps blood fat, prevents Alzheimer's disease, helps baby development and much more.

http://www.webmd.com...
http://www.webmd.com...
http://www.newlr.com...
http://authoritynutrition.com...

I await your argument.
tonyrobinson

Pro

Although I am far from a vegetarian I do see the health benefits in that lifestyle. However one can not just go and eat just anything vegetarian and think that is good for them.

http://www.livestrong.com...
"According to the American Dietetic Association, vegetarians are also at lower risk for becoming obese, due to diets with significantly lower levels of saturated fat and cholesterol. It is important, however, to plan your vegetarian diet so that you are consuming sufficient levels of all necessary nutrients."
Too much meats in our diets are the cause of many health problems. However if a vegetarian lives off junk food like soda and potato chips of course he is not going to be healthy.
Most vegetarians, especially those who actually studied nutrition, are much healthier than the average omnivore. As for the proteins found in meats, foods such as beans and nuts have protein as well. I am not denying the benefits of meat protein but I am saying it can easily be substituted in a vegetarian diet. That way they get the benefits of the proteins without the health risks associated with meats.
America has a high meat diet and a high obesity rate. All medical evidence in the field of nutrition would suggest that that is not a coincidence.
NedaViana

Con

Of course eating too much meat is unhealthy, so is eating too less meat. We need an average of 125 grams meat per day and vegans get 0. The HIGH meat diet in America has caused high obesity whereas if they had a normal diet of meats, obesity would decrease dramatically.
Some health problems occur if the meat is undercooked, so the high degree of a barbecue or other cooking device has not killed off the bacteria in the meat.
Also being a vegan will cause you to naturally eat more carbohydrates which will cause you to become overweight as well.
Beans and nuts DO have protein but a person can't live with dairy foods, beans and nuts.
Also there are nutrients not found in the vegan diet nor possible to replace such as the Omega-3 fatty acid listed in my last argument.
tonyrobinson

Pro

"Also being a vegan will cause you to naturally eat more carbohydrates which will cause you to become overweight as well"

This is about vegetarianism not veganism. Most vegetarians do consume dairy products, thus not vegans.

"Beans and nuts DO have protein but a person can't live with dairy foods, beans and nuts."

That is their form of protein but with that and fruits and vegetables they can get a complete diet with everything they need in it. Omega 3 fatty acids are not necessary, especially in a vegetarian diet. I know they do the body good but that is to fight off problems caused by poor diet to begin with. So why not prevent the problem to not need a solution (omega 3 fatty acids as the solution) to begin with?
You seem to argue that vegetarians can not be healthy due to a lack of meat protein and other nutrients found only in meat. However the existence of healthy vegetarians suggests that to be incorrect.

Here is a list of famous vegetarians.
It is a rather long list that includes people from all walks of life. Some are even professional athletes like Herschel Walker, obviously a healthy man. As with an omnivore diet, vegetarians must watch what they eat and have a well balanced diet. They can be healthy and are many times less likely to suffer from the many ailments associated with meat consumption.
NedaViana

Con

Sorry I thought "vegan" was short form of "vegetarian".

I'm not saying that being a vegetarian ALWAYS means bad health. I mainly state that being vegetarian has a risk of a lot of medical conditions.

"Omega 3 fatty acids are not necessary, especially in a vegetarian diet. I know they do the body good but that is to fight off problems caused by poor diet to begin with."

Depression can happen to anyone, so can Alzheimer's disease. Baby development could become bad with poor nutrition but Omega 3 helps it become better, not prevents it to become bad. As for asthma and blood fat, you can get it with poor nutrition but Omega 3 will help prevent it as a bonus and anyway, its better to just eat a fish than to go checking out everything to keep your nutrition perfect. And anyway, there is nothing BAD about eating fish anyway.

"Most vegetarians do consume dairy products, thus not vegans."
Even eating dairy products will not stop you overall eating more carbs than a normal person. On most websites its says that vegetarians get about 70-80% of their calories from carbs, whereas the healthy average should be 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat. I also have a weight program (I use it for fun mainly). I used it when I had an assignment about the same topic, and whenever I did a vegetarian diet, I ended up with too much carbs. That also means that you get low fat and protein, which makes it double bad.

True that is their source of protein, I agree, I can't say no.

But my main statement of my argument is that meat does no harm. Eating raw meat is bad for you and causes problems, so is eating too much (both cooked and low cooked). So if you eat well cooked meat, and eat it the right amount, the problems associated with meat are very low, but the problems associated with NOT eating meat are way more.
And anyway the Omega 3 fatty acid, B12, animal protein and creatine come in as a bonus, whereas being non-vegetarian never excluded vegetarian foods, so its got their vitamins and health stuff too.
tonyrobinson

Pro

Despite what that Atkins guy says carbs are not bad for you, they are best in the morning though.

As for asthma and blood fat, you can get it with poor nutrition but Omega 3 will help prevent it as a bonus and anyway, its better to just eat a fish than to go checking out everything to keep your nutrition perfect. And anyway, there is nothing BAD about eating fish anyway.

The risk of vegetarians getting blood fat is very slim to none. As for the fish that depends on the fish, some has high levels of mercury while others have absorbed toxins from pollution. Again thought the problems that are helped by the Omega 3 comes from meat products thus still not an issue for vegetarians. I honestly do no know of any medical conditions from vegetarianism, just from poor eating and no exercise, which is common for omnivores as well.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com...
"The researchers found that a low-fat vegan diet leads to weight loss of about 1 pound per week, even without additional exercise or limits on portion sizes, calories, or carbohydrates.
NedaViana

Con

True carbs are not bad for you, but having low fat and protein is bad for you.

I was mainly putting blood fat into the list because it was a fact.
True it depends on the fish, bit still you get Omega 3 anyways. It does not have anything to do vegetarianism.
Also again depression, Alzheimer's disease, baby development and asthma have NOTHING to do with meat.
I thought you count low brain function, constipation, diarrhea, pale skin... (In argument 1) as medical conditions.
They are not diseases but they are bad medical conditions.

There is one thing I agree with vegetarianism and that is they are good for a short time, if you want to lose weight.

Another thing I have to say against vegetarianism is about the new lifestyle.
Lets say you walk into a restaurant and it says they have steak with a lot of delicious spices. Well that would be mouth-watering, and if you are a vegetarian, you won't be able to eat it. Also at home you are going to have to abandon a lot of foods like sausages, steak, bacon, roast chicken, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, fish...

Thanks for debating.
A thing I'd like to say is that I'm only 11 years old, not 24. My mum allowed me to use it LOL. So if I made a lot of grammar mistakes that is probably the reason.
Hehe but whatever thanks for debating.
tonyrobinson

Pro

"Also again depression, Alzheimer's disease, baby development and asthma have NOTHING to do with meat.
They are not diseases but they are bad medical conditions."
I have never heard of any research to suggest that any of those disorders are in any way connected to vegetarianism. Since there are plenty of vegetarians out there and I have never heard of any of them suffering from those conditions I would conclude that they are in not connected. I am sure some vegetarians suffer from those conditions but I have never heard of any connection in the two. A Duke University study has shown depression is best treated by regular exercise. I do however see a connection in meat consumption and heart disease, obesity and multiple other conditions.

I do eat all of those meats you mentioned. However I think I would be healthier if I did not eat them at all and ate a healthy well balanced vegetarian diet.
Posted by NedaViana 2 years ago
NedaViana
I'm sorry I don't accept the challenge.
For a few reasons;
1. We're moving
2. I'm sick of debates
3. I kinda meant "Vegetarianism is a bad idea" not that all vegetarians are unhealthy. Also my topic was that "Vegetarianism is good for you" and I just don't agree, I never said it's unhealthiness (though it might make a person unhealthy, my dad's uncle was and the doctor told him to stop because of low protein.)

Off topic, you seem much like me.
I'm an Athiest with no beliefs, I love science and my favourite show is Cosmos: A Spacetime Odessy :)
Posted by AtheistPerson 2 years ago
AtheistPerson
Would you like to challenge me to a debate on this?
Posted by AtheistPerson 2 years ago
AtheistPerson
Posted by AtheistPerson 2 years ago
AtheistPerson
You my Con voter have no knowledge. Vegetarianism is not bad for you, it is just harder to get the required supplements in your body that meat offers. You don't need "125 grams of meat a day." You need the things that are in meat such as iron, calcium, proteins and more. And you certainly don't need that much of anything except for carbohydrates and on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Posted by NedaViana 2 years ago
NedaViana
How come no-one votes???
Posted by tonyrobinson 2 years ago
tonyrobinson
Due to the timing and work I may not be able to post for round 5. Either way it has been good debating with you.
Posted by tonyrobinson 2 years ago
tonyrobinson
Ok, not a problem, since vegans are just dairy free vegetarians, the difference in the two is not that significant in most aspects.
Posted by NedaViana 2 years ago
NedaViana
Oh i checked what it meant. When I said vegan in the last rounds, know i meant vegetarian
Posted by NedaViana 2 years ago
NedaViana
If vegan doesn't mean vegetarian, what DOES it mean???