tarsjake
kvaughan

Vegetarianism

tarsjake

Pro

I may be a right winger but i think it is great if someone wants to be a vegetarian. Also its great and honorable to treat animals with the love and respect they deserve.
kvaughan

Con

Given the hilariously vague opening statement of my opponent, I am forced to simply define my own ground for this debate in negating the topic of 'vegetarianism'.

I will do this, with a very particular slant: I will negate that Vegetarianism is a moral imperative. But, I will not disagree that if you don't want to eat meat you should have that right.

Most theories of rights tend to assume that human beings have rights that other creatures do not. For example, if I am sick I can commit bacterial genocide by taking antibiotics to remove the infection, but if I take the life of a single person I have committed a truly heinous action. I argue that this distinction is derived from the vastly different cognitive capabilities between humans and animals which create different desires that must be preferenced accordingly.

This leads to animals not having a fundamental right to life because their cognitive capabilities do not allow them to understand the abstract concepts of life and death. To do so requires the uniquely human concept of self-awareness to allow one to understand existence and the possibility of an end to existence. So, animals do not have a right to life and their desires are worth less than our own so eating meat is morally OK.

This reduces vegetarianism to a matter of preference making it no more weighty a decision that deciding which flavor of ice cream to order
tarsjake

Pro

You said you ARE "against" vegetarianism you should have the right to eat what you want! You said animals can't understand life and death, this as nothing to do with PETA
kvaughan

Con

Look, by being "against" vegetarianism, I only mean that I am not one. I am also "against" the Patriots, but I would never argue that people don't have the right to root for them.

I am against Vegetarianism because I do not think it is a moral imperative to be a vegetarian, reducing vegetarianism to the personal decision to eat bad food.

Here's the point, I have defended a consistent CON vegetarianism stance. If this position was not acceptable, why not try having a thesis statement longer than one word or an opening argument longer than 2 sentences? Also, why not try actually making arguments?

I'll debate something real when you do.
tarsjake

Pro

When it comes to vegetarianism, the number one question on most meat-eaters' minds is, "What do you eat?" The answer: Anything we want! There are vegetarian alternatives to almost any animal food, from soy sausages and "Fib Ribs" to Tofurky jerky and mock lobster. Vegetarian-friendly menus are sprouting up everywhere—even Burger King offers veggie burgers—and more and more eateries are focusing exclusively on vegetarian and vegan foods. There are fantastic alternatives to every dairy product you can imagine, including Soy Delicious ice cream, Silk chocolate soy milk, Tofutti cream cheese, and more.

Going vegetarian has never been easier, and we're here to help! From our fantastic recipes and list of favorite products and favorite vegetarian cookbooks to our free vegetarian starter kit and online shopping guide, PETA has all the information you need to adopt a healthy and humane vegetarian diet!

Every year in the U.S., more than 27 billion animals are slaughtered for food. Raising animals on factory farms is cruel and ecologically devastating. Eating animals is bad for our health, leading directly to many diseases and illnesses, including heart attacks, strokes, cancer, diabetes, and obesity. In response to animal welfare, health, and ecological concerns, compassionate people everywhere are adopting a vegetarian diet.
For Animals
Animals on factory farms are treated like meat, milk, and egg machines. Chickens have their sensitive beaks seared off with a hot blade, and male cattle and pigs are castrated without any painkillers. All farmed chickens, turkeys, and pigs spend their brief lives in dark and crowded warehouses, many of them so cramped that they can't even turn around or spread a single wing. They are mired in their own waste, and the stench of ammonia fills the air. Animals raised for food are bred and drugged to grow as large as possible as quickly as possible—many are so heavy that they become crippled under their own weight and die within inches of their water supply.

Animals on factory farms do not see the sun or get a breath of fresh air until they are prodded and crammed onto trucks for a nightmarish ride to the slaughterhouse, often through weather extremes and always without food or water. Many die during transport, and others are too sick or weak to walk off the truck after they reach the slaughterhouse. The animals who survive this hellish ordeal are hung upside-down and their throats are slit, often while they're completely conscious. Many are still alive while they are skinned, hacked into pieces, or scalded in the defeathering tanks. Learn more about the factory-farming industry. By switching to a vegetarian diet, you can save more than 100 animals a year from this misery.

One suggestion: If you plan to make the transition to a vegetarian diet gradually, the most important foods to cut out of your diet first are bird flesh and eggs. While many people think that "red meat" and dairy products should be the first to go, this isn't the case. By cutting bird flesh from your diet, you'll save many more animals. Because chickens are so small, the average meat-eater is responsible for the deaths of many more chickens than cows. Plus, chickens and turkeys exploited by the meat and egg industries are the most abused animals commonly used for food.

For Your Health
Some of the leading killers in America today, including heart disease, cancer, obesity, and strokes, are directly linked to meat-based diets. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in America today, and it is caused by the build-up of cholesterol and saturated fat from animal products in our arteries. The only two doctors in human history who have successfully reversed heart disease have included an exclusively vegetarian diet as a part of their programs. The average vegan cholesterol level is 133 (compared to 210 for meat-eaters); there are no documented cases of heart attacks in individuals with cholesterol under 150. Other health problems tied to clogged arteries, like poor circulation and atherosclerotic strokes, can be virtually eliminated with a vegan diet.

Vegans are approximately one-ninth as likely to be obese as meat-eaters and have a cancer rate that is only 40 percent that of meat-eaters. People who consume animal products are also at increased risk for many other illnesses, including strokes, obesity, osteoporosis, arthritis, Alzheimer's, multiple allergies, diabetes, and food poisoning. Learn more about the health benefits of a vegetarian diet.
For the Environment
America's meat addiction is poisoning and depleting our potable water, arable land, and clean air. More than half of the water used in the United States today goes to animal agriculture, and since farmed animals produce 130 times more excrement than the human population, the run-off from their waste is fouling our waterways. Animal excrement emits gases, such as hydrogen sulfide and ammonia, that poison the air around farms, as well as methane and nitrous oxide, which are major contributors to global warming. Forests are being bulldozed to make more room for factory farms and feed crops to feed farmed animals, and this destruction causes soil erosion and contributes to species extinction and habitat loss. Raising animals for food also requires massive amounts of food and raw materials: Farmed animals consume 70 percent of the corn, wheat, and other grains that we grow, and one-third of all the raw materials and fossil fuels used in the U.S. go to raising animals for food. In short, our country's meat addiction is wrecking the earth. Read more about factory farming and the environment.

http://goveg.com...
kvaughan

Con

this is your argument? You copy and paste something from a website that promotes vegetarianism/veganism and that's it? You have got to be kidding me.

You failed to provide anything close to a respectable opening statement, failed to provide a second rebuttal and then failed to deal with my arguments at any point. If anyone is reading this, it should be clear that my opponent has nothing useful to say on this topic and I have no idea why he started this debate.

Case close. This is an easy one.
Posted by tarsjake 7 years ago
tarsjake
This was a dumb debate and I shouldn't have done it
Posted by mathnerd 8 years ago
mathnerd
I'm a vegetarian, but I am against PETA because of the way they go about helping animals. I do not, for instance, think that it is acceptable to attack the people who support slaughterhouses, because vegetarianism is a personal choice. The comment about how slaughterhouses castrate pigs and cattle without painkillers is irrelevant because the methods that are used to castrate the animals are sanitary and painfree.
Posted by Miserlou 8 years ago
Miserlou
As soon as I saw Pro's "debate" in Round 2 I didn't need to read further.
Posted by A-ROD 8 years ago
A-ROD
I am a vegetarian but I'm still going to have to go with the con on this one. The instigator merely copied and pasted something from a website and kyaughan had real ideas.
Posted by Debater2008 8 years ago
Debater2008
This debate was funny. I probably would have voted CON, but now I am 100% sure I am voting con.
Posted by mmadderom 8 years ago
mmadderom
Hey, I'm all for the PETA protests where naked women get into cages to prove their "point". I draw the line when it comes to most of PETAs antics, though.

As for this "debate"...well if con doesn't win in a landslide there is something seriously wrong with the voters around here.
Posted by mindjob 8 years ago
mindjob
PETA is a good organization that takes a good idea too far on occasion. The way I look at it, our bodies were built to eat both meat and veggies, so why not eat meat? We're all animals too, so we should be able to eat meat just like other animals. They shouldn't be treated in the way that tarsjake describes, that's a given, but I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to spend my days eating carrots.
Posted by Renzzy 8 years ago
Renzzy
kels1123, i couldnt agree more. i like meat and have no problem eating it, but i ha2ve nothing against people who dont eat it. i have a friend who doesnt eat meat. what i dont like is PETA. thats where i think it gets dumb.
Posted by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
In the profile it just says do you favor or disagree with vegetarianism. I think many people just say against because they are not one. I am not in favor because I am okay with eating meat. So I really don't think anybody is actually against it as in caring if people eat meat or not.
Posted by Renzzy 8 years ago
Renzzy
tarsjake,

your arguments have been...well...rather vague, to say the least. I think you needs to pick it up or you might end up getting seriously beaten merely for lack of arguments. just a pointer.
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 8 years ago
GaryBacon
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by gabriel04 8 years ago
gabriel04
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by Renzzy 8 years ago
Renzzy
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by Miserlou 8 years ago
Miserlou
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by HempforVictory 8 years ago
HempforVictory
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by A-ROD 8 years ago
A-ROD
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by chiwawatang 8 years ago
chiwawatang
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by Debater2008 8 years ago
Debater2008
tarsjakekvaughanTied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
tarsjakekvaughanTied