Vending machines should be allowed in schools

Hello everybody. Today we are starting a new debate. The topic is that vending machines should be allowed in schools. By schools we are talking about schools from grades 1-12. I will be taking the negative stance of this debate.

We have two conditions
-This round is for acceptance only.
-the fifth round is for rebuttals only. No new points are to be made in the fifth round.

Good luck to the contender, whoever that may be.

I am looking forward to your arguments. Who knows, maybe you will convince me that I'm wrong

We very well might! In this first speech, we (this is a shared account between jacobie1121 and DarthKirones) will present two points on why Vending Machines should not be in schools. We will give references in the final round.

Point #1: Health
The average vending machine is full of chips, pop, and other junk food. According to "junk foods are high in fat, sodium, and sugar"."
These can lead to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and arthritis. For example, one 12 once can of coke is equal to 10 teaspoons of added sugar! What's more, the average male should only take in 9 teaspoons of added sugar and the average female 6 teaspoons of added sugar a day! My opponent might say that vending machines can have healthy food too but healthy food is way more expensive so no one will buy it. Also, if they wanted healthy food, then they could just pack there own lunch!!!

Point #2: Students that are not Allowed to use Vending Machines will Feel Left Out
Addiction to vending machines. Sounds like bogus right? Wrong. Put yourself in a student's shoes. You see your friends buying things at the vending machine, and you have $5 dollars, but this is meant for the Health Foods Sore across the street. You feel left out, because you can't buy from the machine. You could easily just buy some things from vending machines instead of doing what your parents told you. You thought the junk food was so good, you do this again. Quickly, this is what you do every day. You are addicted. In the process, you disobey your parents, and you waste money on food that gives you bad health but is addicting because it tastes good. We can hear you typing "healthy vending machines" but will just tell you to reread our first point. Solution to this likely story, happening in schools today ? Just plain get rid of the vending machines!

Thank you for accepting our debate,
dynamicduodebaters (or jacobie1121 and DarthKirones).

Children ought to have the power and education to determine right from wrong. I usually get the argument that they are too young to make good judgement, but this argument is supported by an underdeveloped brains. However, if this is the reason, then vending machines should not be around on college campuses, because anyone with a brain under 21-24 May have underdeveloped brains if the research is right. Children of any age can have good judgement taught to them. This debate might turn into a debate over judgement of children, but a child can have judgement calls. The claims that Grand Theft Auto causes young children to act out is dead wrong. Children can make the right decisions if taught what is right

I will begin this debate my stating why what my honorable opponent said is wrong.
Decision making is a skill that needs to be learned, but the problem is the consequences, a child's perspective is NOT the same as an adult. Eating a bag of chips a day seem to be (to the child) a good choice today, but in 20 years they will suffer from those chips. Kids do need to learn right from wrong, but at such a young and small age it's hard to think of the future. Also, yes the children "ought to have the power and education to determine right from wrong", as my opponent says. But do the children have this "education" to know what is right and wrong. How do we know that kids know this?

Anyways, back to the points.

Argument #3: Plain don't need them!
Elementary schools just doesn't need vending machines. If you think about it, in elementary schools, you are taught all subjects by 1 teacher in 1 room. The only free times you have are recess and lunch. At lunch, the lunchroom supervisors will get you to eat your lunch and than do something quiet; they definitely will not approve of junk food. At recess, the teachers shoo you outside to get some fresh air and refresh your mind to help your learning, not wait in line for 15 minutes to get something from the vending machine. Also, elementary schools are not that big, so you will probably have a maximum of 6 in the school, which is not worth the running costs and the hustle installing and restocking them. Now, before you start typing "what about grade 7-12?", think about this: The resolution has to be every grade should have vending machines. So, even if we only brought down some grades and why they should not have vending machines, it would take down the whole resolution.

Argument #4: Temptation
This argument ties in with our argument #1 in our last speech, but oh well.
If a kid had the choice to buy some vegetable burrito in the cafeteria for $5 or a bag of chips for $1.25, the kid would obviously buy the chips, not just because of the price but also because of a kid's lust for yummy junk food. It is the temptation that almost every child has. But, if we just take away the vending machines, then there will be no choice but to eat the healthy food!

I agree that vending machines in elementary schools are pointless for the most part, except the staff may get something out of them. I believe children are not given the credit of the ability to make good judgmental calls. Yes, they are still learning, but many children to show signs of understanding right from wrong, especially if it is learned. Children also have a level of stubbornness that will stop them from eating healthy food. If children are not given the food they want, and get food they don't want, they would rather go hungry. I believe that removing vending machines will cause a damage in freedom of choice. We are supposed to have freedom of choice, and with that freedom of choice comes freedom of advertising. People, even young ones, should be given a choice. If they decide that the teaching of junk food is bad for them does not work, and the catchy bag does, then so be it.

First of all, children do NOT have that amount of free choice. Their parents are responsible for those limits. If there were beer or cigarette vending machines in school would kids be able to take some of those? NO! We restrict children's choice all the time. I just don't think that suddenly allowing vending machines will increase their free choice.

Argument #5: The cost

What is the main purpose of vending machines? It's not so that the school can give kids food, it's so they can get more money! But think of all the factors. First, you need to get the machines (usually you get more then one) You get the snacks and drinks for them and stock them, get tax licenses and decal stickers, pay they people who deal with the vending machine(s) and later re-stock them! Plus there are chances of being dented, getting dirty, mechanical failure, the vending machine falling over, etc. Is it worth it to have such an expensive with so many variables? I think not.

Once more. thank you

My opponent is simply a genius. I can't dispute such claims.

Well, I don't have much more to say but thank you for accepting the debate as you did not give me anything new to refute.

Vote con!

Once again, thanks.

I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong
Posted by WishIWasSuperman 2 years ago
I reckon I could have made a better argument for Pro. But now we'll never know
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
that is what we meant
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
To the first vote: I believe my opponent meant by addiction having an uncontrollable habit of spending on the vending machine. I have seen it. It is very possible.
Posted by DarthKirones 2 years ago
Don't get too overconfident!
Our opponent stated that we where geniuses and admitted we had great points. Obviously vote con!
Geniuses baby!
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded the debate. Pretty simple, Con's arguments win out as a result.
Vote Placed by CJKAllstar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded.