yurock
Greyparrot

Vending machines should be taken out of schools.

Greyparrot

yurock

Pro

Vending machines should be taken out of school at this instant. If their parents want them to eat junk food, then they would pack them some. But if a kid's parents give them money to buy lunch, they might use it to buy junk food. Rubbish I like to call it.
Greyparrot

Con

Sure I'll take this challenge. The school my son goes to has vending machines, and I don't mind if he has a snack or 2, or a coke to stay awake. It is not a problem for me. I am sure it is not a problem for a lot of parents. He makes his own money and he can spend it any way he wants to. If he can not learn how to manage his money now, he will be in a much worse situation in college when he is eligible for massive debt through credit cards. If I thought he had a health problem (obesity) and he couldn't resist abusing the snack machines, then I simply wouldn't allow him to take money to school. I would also have him on a sensible diet and show him how he can be happy eating sensibly. Simply taking the vending machines away is just asking for trouble later in his life when I won't be around and he can do whatever he wants to. Vending machines are everywhere, and there are even more places besides to get unhealthy food. I would be upset if his school removed the machines for the sake of appeasing a few parents and students that did not want to face a situation that involved responsibility. My son does not live in a sterile bubble, nor would I wish for him to. Stress and problems with the freedom to choose responsibly spurs growth and life coping skills. Incarcerating a child in a sterile environment prepares him for nothing. Anyway, I look forward to hearing my opponent's arguments for the banning of vending machines in schools.
yurock

Pro

Yes, I agree with my opponent on that particular matter. But, even if you do not let them take money to school, he might start making deals with other students to get money someway. The vending machines are just ways for the company to earn money while feeding kids unhealthy snacks. If the vending machines were to stay, I would start a partition to put in healthier snacks. That way, kids can eat healthier.
Greyparrot

Con

My Opponent now wishes to amend the resolution that only vending machines that do not have nutritional snacks should be removed.

She has yet to contest my argument that incarcerating children in a sterile environment is counterproductive to personal growth. As I stated before, there a far more opportunities to acquire snacks from places other than vending machines outside of the school authority. Banning school vending machines does nothing to address this.
yurock

Pro

yurock forfeited this round.
Greyparrot

Con

Well I had some more things to say to back up my arguments, but my opponent fled :(
Vote Placed by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
yurockGreyparrotTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit counts as loss of conduct. A few s/g issues on both sides, nothing major. No sources used on any side. Con established good reasons for letting vending machines stay at schools, despite Pro's objections. Pro tried to shift the debate course, which seems like a concession to Con's arguments. Pro should have tried to refute Con's strongest point, which is that a child should be exposed to some danger in order to create an immunity later on. Arguments from Con stand stronger.