KingofTheSkullServants
SportsFanatic13

Videogames are a good thing

Started: 12/5/2016 Category: Games

KingofTheSkullServants

Pro

Videogames aren't as bad as people may see them. For starters, it seems that videogames are always the scapegoat for the blame when something happens. This also goes for people who find videogames to be a waste of time, or to those who find videogames (insert obscure statement here).
SportsFanatic13

Con

I used to be addicted to video games, and trust me, a life without video games is great. Instead of staring into a screen for hours, I could've been out, in the great world, playing sports and taking in life. Video games are often seen as a way to escape, but I see them as a thing that makes it harder to escape challenges in life. Goodluck.
KingofTheSkullServants

Pro

Yes, video games are addicting, however, they're not drug addicting. You being addicted to videogames can be a completely different story for someone else.

If we're going to get personal here. I go to an Early College High School with about 150 kinds in it, with me being one of about 50 sophomores. Videogames are an escape for me form all of the work, both high school and college work, and is an escape from people. I'm not a big socializer, I will talk to people who have the same interest as other people, and that's it. If I move to a new school (God forbid), I will not socialize. Yes, video games are addicting, but it's people's escape from reality. In the same way as how people have their anime and drawing and movies and books, people have their video games.
SportsFanatic13

Con

Video games aren't a good way to take stress, if you're depressed, you should get help, instead of trying to find happy places in-game. Video games waste a lot of time, causing kids to slack behind in school, and this causing lots of problems in school. Socialising is way more satisfying than meeting people online, you can hangout with them, if they're close, you can talk to them, in person. Going back on "a way to escape". Video games aren't a good way to escape, it waste your time, causing the problems in your life to become worse. Lots of bullying is caused because of video games. Lots of games are violent, causing kids to think some things that aren't true. Like when a kid shot his grandmother because he was playing GTA. Video games also have a mental effect, people often spend lots of money on video games, instead of real life things. Video games are a platform for bullying, cyber bullies and cyber harassment, in a lot of cases, is due to online games.
KingofTheSkullServants

Pro

Okay, stop. No, no, no, no! I am sick and tired or people using video games as the scapegoat for the blame. It could have been the violent movies and/or music he might be listening to. Nope. It's always videogames. Video games do not cause violence. Unless you can point me to a game where it tells you to go kill the nearest person, then I would believe you. Until then, find a better argument. Everything will have an effect on you, but it won't cause you to do anything. When I play Super Mario, I don't have the urge to find a turtle and jump on it.

If video games are a waste of time and money, then why aren't comic books and trading card games. No one complains about those when it comes to money. I know what I'm talking about because I play Yu-Gi-Oh, and it's not inexpensive. If video games are a waste of time and money, then are comic books and card games not. Also, video games are a hobby. Yes, people will take it seriously, but whose to say they can't. Also, yes, lots of games are violent, but that's not the ultimate cause for them. It seems that people forget that there are movies, music, tv shows, and influences of other people. (Sarcasm) But it's not like those matter, its always video games.

Video games can be a good thing to people. First, it gives them more complex puzzle solving skills. Look at The Legend of Zelda and all of its puzzles. Pok"mon, and all of its typing's. Second, they're reading more. Most games have characters that "speak" in text boxes, giving person something to read. Depending the game, it will give the person words that they've never seen before. And before you start saying that a lot of games have made up words, it helps them pronounce the word.

As for the bullying, are you referring to the people playing the game or what. I can't tell if you're referring to the person playing videogames becomes a bully, or the person becomes bullied. Again, not always video games. Peer pressure is a thing that can happen in school. I also want to take the time to say that if it wasn't for all these games, people wouldn't relate to other people, as far as likes and dislikes. Look at the communities these games have created. I would even argue that games can actually bring people together. If you can't see that, then you're missing out. But I won't tell you what to and what not to do. That's your life man.

Good debate. And if you don't like video games, don't be one of those people who want to boycott games because of dumb reasons. Not saying that you do, just don't do it.
SportsFanatic13

Con

First of all, you claim that video games aren't to blame, but the APA Task Force on Violent Media, did a research. "The research demonstrates a consistent relation between violent video game use and increases in aggressive behaviour, aggressive cognitions and aggressive affect, and decreases in pro-social behaviour, empathy and sensitivity to aggression." They found out that most of the kids, had either thrown a controller, or cursed in-game or at other people in the room. But let's go back to health. Video games cause a lot of socialising problems, either making them "awkward", or to not focus in school. As I said before, not focusing in school, makes it harder to get through the year without lots of stress. If you are addicted to video games, you're most-liking over wait, which isn't healthy. "Obesity is a serious, chronic disease that can have a negative effect on many systems in your body. People who are overweight or obese have a much greater risk of developing serious conditions, including: Heart disease. Type 2 diabetes." Quoted by Stanford University.

Video games are very bad for your eyes, if you're staring at the screen for hours, your eyes are getting overused. You need to keep your eyes healthy, without too much bright screens. You're saying some video games make you read, well I can 100% tell you. Right now, go to the library, pick up a book, and you will find out what true reading is. Why not solve other puzzle types in real life, you shouldn't use that example in your defence. Lots of the things you're saying is good, can be done 5x better in real life. Using your imagination is way more healthier than playing a adventure game, make your imagination test it's self. With all these problems going on with the world, go outside, have some fun. Instead of being locked up in a room, playing a game. Get some exercise, you and your body will love it, and while you're doing that, eat healthier. Fastfood might be tasty, but trust me, if you eat and drink healthier, it'l make you happy. Instead of eating a chocolate bar, or a bag of chips, eat some fruit. It's time for you to change, to change for the good.

Nice debating with you, hope you change your mind, AND BRING ON THE HEAALTHY LIFE!
Posted by KingofTheSkullServants 1 year ago
KingofTheSkullServants
If my opponent reads the comment section, here are some side points. You seem to spend more time talking about health than you do my points. I get being healthy is a good thing, but you can do that while playing videogames. Also, you seemed to avoided my points on the communities, people who don't want to socialize, puzzle solving skills, the fact that video games are now a scapegoat for the blame, etc. Also, just because you have an article a quote that helps you, doesn't mean you're right. It's like saying your right on Twitter when you have 150k people following and agreeing with you.
Posted by boozeandbabble 1 year ago
boozeandbabble
Video games are bad. I've been playing Resident Evil Hd remastered and it has made me PREJUDICE against zombies! I hate them. Alas!
Posted by TheBenC 1 year ago
TheBenC
As a nearly 40 year old gamer I would love to see a good debate on this topic but both sides provide nothing but random statements.