Michelle2017
THEPRO56

Violence is clearly an issue, not just in the United States but EVERYWHERE!

THEPRO56

Michelle2017

Pro

Violent Video games should be banned because it leads to violence and violent behavior in teens, tweens, and even children under the age of 10.
THEPRO56

Con

I accept to represent the con side of this debate. I will argue that video games do not correlate to any violent activities people will undertake. I would also ask pro to try use sources to back up any assertions made. Let's start.
Michelle2017

Pro

Video Gaming has shown to have a direct effect on how an individual acts. If an individual acts in a violent manner, who's to say that person did not start acting that way until they played the violent game. Violent video games should be banned because they are one of the leading causes of violent behavior.
THEPRO56

Con

Firstly I would like to state that video games are not the sole leading cause of violence in the world. I was not able to find anyone prove to me that this was the case. In places with high crime rates and conflict poverty have been responsible for so much strife. [1]

Now I would also want to draw fact to the decrease of violent crime in the US even though there has been a sudden boom of Video games as a main street medium for art. Also even though the US currently has the highest firearm murder rate in the world, other countries where video games are more popular per capita seem to have lower firearm related deaths. [2]

Also many of the studies 'proving' to find a link between violence in the real world and video games have had major flaws and didn't follow the scientific method properly. Most don't use an effective way of measuring aggression e.g noise blast tests. Aggressive thoughts have also been confused with aggressive actions and there is no long term study on the effects of video games. [3]

Video games have been able to do interesting things in that rather make people violent and agitated, creates a therapeutic effect where players are encourage to punish the 3D models in game rather than taking the anger out in the real world. This is debated among professional scientists but is widely believed by players of video games (myself included).

I feel as if this pointing fingers at this medium is generally a way to put the blame in a medium that many people still do not understand. Similar things happened to movies, books, comics, opera, dancing and radio during the early days but have now been accepted as the norm. [3]

[1] http://sfbayview.com...
[2] http://theincidentaleconomist.com...
[3] http://videogames.procon.org...
Michelle2017

Pro

Michelle2017 forfeited this round.
THEPRO56

Con

My opponent fails to make any proven points on how videogames can cause real world agression and also failed to argue any of my points. I still stand by the points made in the previous arguement and believe that violent videogames do not correlate to violent acts in real life and risitricting them would not make any country any safer.

VOTE CON!
Posted by VAULT111 1 year ago
VAULT111
hey peeps there were murders before video games were made dont just try to blame it on the games , THEPRO56, you should mention how people are affected by video games ut they do not act in ways that it will affect them you should also mention that in many interviews that were only released to older people 80% of the parents admitted that they just wanted to stop their kids from playing video games so they blamed it on the games, sadly in most cases today the parents make the child violent.
Posted by drhead 4 years ago
drhead
I should also mention that this would be a violation of the First Amendment in the US. Violent video games are free speech, whether you like it or not.
Posted by drhead 4 years ago
drhead
It seems that Pro has a purely emotionally-driven argument with no proof to back it up so far.
Posted by Michelle2017 4 years ago
Michelle2017
you're welcome
Posted by THEPRO56 4 years ago
THEPRO56
thanks for the clarifacation.
Posted by ockcatdaddy 4 years ago
ockcatdaddy
this debate is a sham violent video contributes nothing to a persons behavior or the way they express themselves
Posted by Michelle2017 4 years ago
Michelle2017
violent video games contributing to violence in general
Posted by THEPRO56 4 years ago
THEPRO56
I want to accept the debate but I don't know if you are debating against violent videogames or violencein general.
Posted by THEPRO56 4 years ago
THEPRO56
Vote Placed by drhead 4 years ago
drhead
Michelle2017THEPRO56Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con won this without a doubt. Conduct to Con since Pro forfeited a round. S&G to Con. Arguments to Con since Pro made no claims with any validity. Sources to Con since Pro used none.