Riversidegirl4life
blinkking

Violent Video Games have a Bad Influence on Teenagers

Riversidegirl4life

Riversidegirl4life

Pro

First round is acceptance of debate and rules.
Rules:
1. This debate is about video games having a bad influence on teenagers, as most violent video games are restricted 15 or 18.

2. Using examples of specific games is acceptable.

Please accept :)
blinkking

Con

Isn't everything a bad influence on teenagers these days? It's all about how the person takes what they see and applies it in situations. There's always a scapegoat for everything, but really it comes down to how the person was raised. Sure, in Grand Theft Auto, a person might see a nice Lambo driving by and they might think to themselves 'If I was playing Grand Theft Auto I would hijack that car.' But if they were raised with good morals, they would know better than to steal the car. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MORALS!
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

The reason why I believe that violent games have a negative effect on people, is that there is a positive connection with killing, rather than the fact that the game contains killing at all. In many games, when you kill a character you win points, such as in the game Carmageddon where you win credits by hitting pedestrians in a car. Games make this connection between killing and winning something, which is what I find appaling.

Example: Thrill Kill is a 4 player game, where characters fight to the death. It includes many ways to dismember, torture and kill your opponent. Of course there is a positive outcome, once you kill everyone else you win the game. There is no doubt that these kids of games could create a connection between "killing" and "good" in people's minds.

I don't believe that these games have a negative impact because people think "I'm bored, and COD tells me killing is fun!" but more that they will have that subconscious connection between killing and winning. Thanks!
blinkking

Con

blinkking forfeited this round.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

As my opponent forfeited the previous round, I will present some new argyments

My new argument is regarding the characters. In most violent video games, the character who you play as is almost always huge and unnaturally muscley (1)
This is just showcasing the message that strong muscley men are superior to those who are not, more "manly" if you will, and this can make for poor self esteem in players who believe that their physique doesn't match up to the one shown as "manly" in the game. This can lead to teenagers using stereoids and similar physique enhancements to make themselves seem more manly, as subconciously they have grown up to beleive that "real men" are big, muscley killing machines. By absenting these absurd killing games, it will be one step closer to elliminating this unreal expectation boys have for themselves.

1. http://people.southwestern.edu...;
blinkking

Con

blinkking forfeited this round.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Due to the fact my opponent has forfeited the past two rounds, I dont suppose he'll write the next.
Vote Pro!
blinkking

Con

blinkking forfeited this round.
Posted by Isaacthegrimm 5 years ago
Isaacthegrimm
is there anyway i can get in on this debate
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
Riversidegirl4lifeblinkkingTied
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Riversidegirl4lifeblinkkingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Triple FF