dasamster
Humphrey

Violent Video Games shall be banned for those under the age of 21.

dasamster

Pro

The resolve for this debate is: Violent Video Games shall be banned for those under the age of 21.

I am the Aff/Pro for this debate. There are 4 debate rounds, this round is only the acceptance of the debate in the challenge period, and debating will begin in Round 2. Opponents have 72 hours to post their side/argument, and have 8,000 characters to work with.

If you choose to accept, please acknowledge that on this round and we shall begin debating next round. Enjoy, and good luck!
Humphrey

Con

Second round it shall then.
dasamster

Pro

I am Sam and I will be affirming that violent video games shall be banned for those under the age of 21. To start off, I will define a few words in the resolution. I will be using the Princeton University Dictionary for the following terms; Ban, a decree that prohibits something; and violent is defined as acting with or marked by or resulting from great force or energy or emotional intensity. My plan for this debate is to restrict individuals whom are not over the age of 21, nor having any ID, from buying violent video games. All those who are purchasing MUST have an ID on them with their DOB.

My first contention is that both experimental and non-experimental research have shown that violent video games damage young people playing them in both the short and long term, leading to criminal and anti-social behaviour. Exposure to violent video games causes aggressive thoughts and feelings. It also creates unwanted psychological arousal and belief in a ‘scary world', especially among young children. This is particularly significant as video game graphics develop to become ever more realistic. The effects of violent video games are even worse than those of films and TV because of the interactive element that exists in video games. In addition, most video games are played alone, whereas cinema and television are usually a social experience, allowing social pressures to filter the experience of violence upon the viewer.

My second contention is that violent video games do not only affect individuals but also society as a whole. The sole purpose of a player in these games is to be an aggressor. The heartlessness in these games and joy of killing innocent people create a desensitization and disinhibition to violence that can ultimately lead to a more violent society. They are also a very selfish, lonely form of entertainment which undermines the structure of an ordered, interdependent society.

I await the negative's response.
Humphrey

Con

Humphrey forfeited this round.
dasamster

Pro

My opponent has forfeited!!!
Humphrey

Con

Humphrey forfeited this round.
dasamster

Pro

dasamster forfeited this round.
Humphrey

Con

Humphrey forfeited this round.
dasamster

Pro

dasamster forfeited this round.
Humphrey

Con

Humphrey forfeited this round.
Posted by Jebediah-Kerman 3 years ago
Jebediah-Kerman
"The heartlessness in these games and joy of killing innocent people " In most cases this is wrong. Most of the time in video games you play a person who is killing "bad guys", such as a terrorist organisation.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
I should have taken it lol.

"My first contention is that both experimental and non-experimental research have shown that violent video games damage young people playing them in both the short and long term, leading to criminal and anti-social behaviour."

Making stuff up does not equal research unfortunately.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
Shall or should?