Violin is more difficult than Cello.

Started: 8/11/2014 Category: Arts

Hello, thanks for accepting my debate! I will be arguing that violin is more difficult than cello . First round is for acceptance and good luck

Thanks for the debate :).
I am a violinist and violist, but will be arguing that the cello is more difficult, good luck.

In today's society, many of us are familiar with what the violin looks and sounds like. Not only is it one of the most commonly played instruments in the world but it is also one of the cheapest. Therefore, when one is competing for a 'chair' in an orchestra/symphony, it should be statistically harder to obtain as there will be more competitors in comparison to the cello.
1) Violin is more difficult because there are more people that plays it than cello. Thus making it harder to obtain a desirable 'chair'
2) The violin most of the time has the melody in an orchestra/symphony because of it's range, therefore allowing the cello not having to struggle to learn the notes as commonly as the violin.
3)The violin has a more unique/awkward hand position unlike the cello, making it more difficult to originally learn.
4)Because of the 'deep' sound of the cello, making an incorrect sound is less detectable than a violin that has a 'high sound'.
5)In a symphony, the cello's rhythm is normally slow in contrast to the violin's 'high-notes' and 'fast-notes'.

Constructive Case:
C1: Inherent difficulty in regards to spatial navigation:
The finger board of the cello is much larger than the fingerboard of the violin, thus it is harder to navigate.
Shifting jumps on the cello, since they are naturally larger, leave more room for error, than the smaller shifts on a violin.

C1b: Early shifting
After only a very short duration of time, the cellist is required to learn how to shift, because only a very miniscule portion of their notes can be played in position I. While the violinst can play a plethora of compositions all in position I.

C2: Kinetic Restrictions:
A violin can be played anwhere at anytime, while a cello can only be played sitting down, with a rock stop.

C3: Thump Position:
While violin parts(Especially the first) require shifting prowess, we are still permitted to retain our natural wrist position, while the cellist is required to awkwardly rotate their hand so that their thumb is on the finger board, so they may reach the uppermost notes.

C4: Compositional Difficulty
The violin has hard pieces no doubt, but the cello has hard pieces too and violin pieces transcribed for cell are harder on cello.

C5: Key Signatures:
Since the cello often shifts to high positions, and excessive ledger lines would be blury, the cello must learn to read alto cleft in order to discern higher notes.

In my next round, I will rebut my oppent's points.
(Ps; Do you want to have a debate on violin compositions sometimes? I was thinking maybe over what the most difficult piece was, I'd argue Schoenberg's concerto or Ligetti's)

let's agree to disagree. (btw how did you do that bold O_o, im probably going to get raped on this debate..) anyways...

(C1 Rebuttal)In C1 you have stated that the cello's shift "leave[s] more room for error" but this is the case for all instruments. Regardless of how big or small the gap, after an extended period of time in learning his or her instrument, they will know where the general finger position is. The main problem is how precise it is. Therefore despite the shifting length in the cello being greater in contrast to the violin. The way that the violin is more difficult is the tone. Why ? Because like I said in my previous statement, the low tone of the cello masks much of the "off-note" in comparison to the high note where it will be more noticeable.

New point 1) Another reason that the cello is easier is because in this video --> ( ) the entire stairwell acts like one huge cello. The stairwell is something like the base of a cello and the stairwell masks all the impurities of the singer's voice. IN SIMILARITY, any mistakes that are procured by the cellist will be masked because of the reverberation of the huge instrument LIKE the stairwell.

(C2 Rebuttal)You have stated that the cello has "kinetic restrictions", although the cello is indeed larger that the violin, MOST violinists and cellists will NOT go out in the middle of nowhere and start playing. For example, most concerts these days are sponsored by some facility even if it's a local and will more than likely have at least a chair or a rock to sit on. Thus your point of how the cello has "kinetic restrictions" is invalid.

(C3 Rebuttal) Although I may not be a professional at cello, I know that the cellist must move their ENTIRE arm to get to their desired position when they have a really high position. Thus your statement of how the cellist has to "awkwardly rotate their hand so that their thumb is on the finger board" is invalid. In addition, although the cello must retain their "natural position" the violin in contrast must rotate their hand to a very unnatural position, such as 7th and 8th position .

New point 2) here's a picture of how a violinist hold's their violin while playing: ( ) in this picture you can see that the violinist must strain their wrist by rotating it to get to the "normal postition" for the violin
in contrast, here's a picture of how a cellist hold's their cello while playing ( ) although this is a clip are, you can see in the man's left arm, the position of his arm is more natural much similar to that of a handshake in where we experience it everyday, thus the position in holding the cello is much more simpler in contrast to the violin

C4 Rebuttal) here's the music sheet for the twinkle little star on the cello, possibly one of the easiest songs. In this picture, you will realize that the highest note is on the the second measure (idk what the note is on treble cleff...anyways) and in this picture that is supposedly "difficult" the "highest" note is on the 3rd line, 1st measure. which is not that far off from the highest note in twinkle little star. If such a difficult song in concerto in D Minor has barely any higher notes than in the basic song of twinkle little star?

New point 3) Here's a snippet of what I am playing after 12 years ( ) here you will notice that there are notes ranging from playing 1st position to 9th position in rapid continuity unlike the cello where most of the time they have a languid beat unlike this song. Although this song happens to be one of the faster songs, the violin must remain the same intensity throughout the piece which is much simpler on the cello for they have more reverberation.

Pro says: ") Violin is more difficult because there are more people that plays it than cello. Thus making it harder to obtain a desirable 'chair'"

This is a red herring. This point does not address playing the instrument. And there are a lot more violin spots compared to the other string instruments.

Pro's point 2: This is true to an extent(certainly not in more contemporary compositions), however in my experiences in youth symphonies and contests, the other instruments have to work just as hard. Also, this is not a big deal, because violins(especially 1st) are conditioned to be able to play those parts, so it comes naturally.

Pro's point 3: This is false. Left hand violin technique is largely straight forward, the only instances in which it's not is tenths, weird atonal triple and quad stops, and left-hand pitzacato.

Pro's point 4: This point is a red herring, it's not particularly useful in regards to the resolution, however, the low tone only helps a minimal in regards to intonation. If you're not very,very,very close to the note, the cello will be blatantly out of tone. Also vibrato on the violin will mask subtle tuning mistakes.

5: This is sometimes the case, but in many compositions, the cellos have very challlenging parts.
New point 1: No, this is certainly not the case, this is an utter ad absurdum. Once again only miniscule tuning errors will be masked.

New point 2: That position is not at all analagous to a handshake.

New Point 3: While Sarasate is always difficult, it does not come close to Penderecki.

This is an excerpt from his cello concerto.

It shifts key signatures a lot, because of the extreme shifts, it is extremely atonal, resulting in painfully awkward hand positions, the rhythms are awkward and syncopated , it's very fast and it requires extreme bowing technique.

Rebuttals to my opponent's rebuttals:
My C1 still stands, because the margin for error is much smaller on violin , due to it's smaller size. Pro admits that the margin will decrease with practice, but the cello will always be more difficult, because there's more of a chance you will miss the shift. Also, once again, the low tone, is only relevant in instances of extremely miniscule tuning errors.

My C2 still stands, pro just merely thinks it is not relevant. However, in many instances, in my experience, especially at non-formal outings, the cello's find it extremely troublesome to navigate.

My C3 is that thumb position is awkward. Now obviously for a professional it would be natural, but when learning, it is quite difficult.

My C4 is still standing because the Lalo concerto and Twinkle Twinkle little star are analagous in NO UNIVERSE.
The concerto includes 3-4 octave arpeggios, double/ tripple stops and so forth. Pro has been playing 12 years; I am completely shocked he made that comparison.

My contentions have not been adequately refuted and I have refuted my opponent's points.
I remind my opponent that he has BoP to prove that the violin is more difficult.

Back to you :)

asiandoctor forfeited this round.

asiandoctor forfeited this round.

Two FF's?
Vote con:)
Posted by asiandoctor 2 years ago
i made wayyyyyyy to many rounds....i'm running out of ideas..
Posted by asiandoctor 2 years ago
the twinkle little star link didn't get uploaded =(
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
Rebuttals and new points.
Posted by asiandoctor 2 years ago
what do i need to write for 3? is it just all rebuttals?
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
4 would be rebuttals and 5 would be rebuttal and closing
Posted by asiandoctor 2 years ago
I mean 4 and 5
Posted by asiandoctor 2 years ago
can someone give me a brief overview in what kind of stuff i need to write for rounds 5+ ? Like rebuttals , conclusion etc.
Posted by NiamC 2 years ago
Lol, I would like to play devils advocate for this.... but 5000 character limit and 48 hours.... forget it
Vote Placed by NiamC 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Ffs and points remained uncontested