Vladimir Putin

harrytruman has forfeited round #4.

I will be arguing that Putin is a great leader and a likeable guy.

Since you have not provided any argument, I will simply state my stance as the Opposition. I will argue that Vladimir Putin is not a great leader or a likeable guy. Since you have contended that he is both likeable and a great leader, I will hold you to uphold both criteria. If you fail to prove one of these two burdens, then the debate should fall to the Opposition.

Putin is fighting ISIS and is against the New World Order, this means he is a great leade.
He ois a likeable guy because he says funny things, when Hillary Clinton said that he had no soul, he said "I have no soul? Well, at least I have a brain."

Fighting ISIS isn't a sign of a great leader. He is also aiding Bashar Al-Assad, which contradicts this. Secondly, a little humor doesn't show likeability. Character is not defined by a little humor.

According to, the definition of likeable is "readily or easily liked; pleasing:" ( There are multiple definitions of great on, but the one I will use for the purpose of clarity is "of noble or lofty character:" ( The reason why I use this definition is because it is the best criteria of what a leader should be. When one says "great," we usually think of leaders such as Ronald Reagan or Abraham Lincoln. The reason they were considered great was not only based on their accomplishments, but on their character.

With this criteria established, let"s take a look at why Vladimir Putin fails both standards.

Contention 1: Putin is Not a Likeable Guy
According to a poll conducted by the Levada Center in March:

"When asked to do a word association with Putin, 30 percent found him "likeable""seven percent fewer than last year"and 8 percent felt he was admirable, compared to 10 percent last year" (

Not only does Russia agree with the Opposition, but so does the rest of the world. According to the Pew Research Center on August 5, 2015:

"Outside its own borders, neither Russia nor its president, Vladimir Putin, receives much respect or support, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. A median of only 30% see Russia favorably in the nations outside of Russia. Its image trails that of the United States in nearly every region of the world. At the same time, a median of only 24% in the countries surveyed have confidence in Putin to do the right thing in world affairs, and there is far less faith in the Russian leader than there is in U.S. President Barack Obama" (

Putin is clearly not likeable in the perception of others. To analyze why, let"s take a look at some of his actions that have contributed to this negative view.

First off, his suppression of free speech has contributed to his character decline. According to the Guardian:

"Once an oasis of free speech, the Russian internet is now subject to vague laws that allow the government"s communications watchdog to block sites deemed to publish "extremist" material or content harmful to children. As a result, several major opposition sites were blacklisted in 2013. According to a 2014 law, popular bloggers must now register their true identities with the state and face potential libel suits." (

Secondly, his greediness has contributed to this view. According to BBC News:

"Mr Szubin would not comment on a secret CIA report from 2007 that put Mr Putin's wealth at around $40bn ("28bn). But he said the Russian president had been amassing secret wealth. "He supposedly draws a state salary of something like $110,000 a year. That is not an accurate statement of the man's wealth, and he has long time training and practices in terms of how to mask his actual wealth."" (

Someone who lies to the public to get rich and does so with governmental funds is not only a bad guy, but a bad leader, which leads me to"

Contention 2: Putin is Not a Great Leader
The United States also agrees with my point, as shown in another poll from the same source:

"In the U.S., roughly one-in-five Americans (21%) have confidence in Putin"s handling of world affairs. This is about half the proportion who trusted him in 2003 (41%). Older Americans are particularly distrustful of Putin." (

From almost every country, Putin is not seen as likeable or trustworthy. Trustworthiness is especially a measure of one"s greatness, since trustworthiness shows one"s character. Some actions that have contributed to this view will be analyzed in a few moments.

Let"s look at the economic freedom of Russia. According to the Heritage Foundation's 2016 Index of Economic Freedom:

"Russia"s prospects for long-term, diversified, sustainable economic growth remain bleak. There is no efficiently functioning legal framework, and government continues to interfere in the private sector through myriad state-owned enterprises. Corruption pervades the economy and continues to erode trust in the government." (

Also from the same article:

"2016 Economic Freedom Score: 50.6 (down 1.5 points)
Economic Freedom Status: Mostly Unfree
Global Ranking: 153rd
Regional Ranking: 42nd in Europe" (

Overall, Russia"s economic freedom has been in decline. Vladimir Putin is not a great leader, because a great leader is one who has true character. The suppression of freedoms and corruption in the government reflect his lack of character.

Finally, let"s take a look at one more piece of evidence from the same source, which summarizes the overall state of the Russian nation:

"Vladimir Putin was reelected president in March 2012 on the heels of hotly disputed December 2011 Duma elections. Russia illegally annexed Ukraine"s Autonomous Republic of Crimea early in 2014. Moscow"s support of Russian separatists in Ukraine has led to capital outflows and targeted sanctions by the United States and the European Union. Russia"s economy is heavily dependent on oil and gas exports. The low price of oil, the financial burden of annexing Crimea, and the desire to rearm the Russian military have strained public finances. The economy is in recession, contracting in 2015. Russia became a member of the World Trade Organization in August 2012, but its bid to join the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development has been postponed as a result of its recent actions in Ukraine." (

Overall, both of my contentions prove my point: Vladimir Putin is not a likeable guy or a great leader. For all of these reasons, I strongly believe that the vote should fall to the Opposition. I eagerly await my opponent"s response.

First of all likeable means like-able, meaning that you can like him, and I do, therefor he is likeable. Either way, if we went off of your definition, he is still likeable, because your definition constitutes that he have attributes that make him easily liked. For example, Vladimir Putin released Hillary’s emails and the DNC’s emails, he has also made gun regulations looser in Russia, allowing his citizens to openly carry shotguns in public, this shows the attribute that he supports transparency, accountability, and liberty, and that is more easily liked than any other quality I can think of.

1. Popularity:

Actually, Vladimir Putin does have a high popularity rating in Russia; {1} he is trying to reform their nation, giving the people more liberties, trying to crack down on inflation.

Either way, that Vladimir Putin made child pornography illegal in Russia isn’t bad; in fact it is very good. Also, it makes no sense for a politician to increase second amendment rights but to decrease first amendment rights, if he wanted his people to be enslaved and not speak pout he would be tightening gun laws not loosening them like he is now.

In regard to Putin’s Wealth, I don’t see what’s wrong with having money, besides, he most likely isn’t receiving much more than 110,000$, he probably has private assets aside from his presidency.

For the rest of your argument you pretty much just repeat the same rhetoric, anyway, here are the listed qualities of a great leader: {2}

1. Honesty - Check

2. Compassion - questionable

3. Integrity - Check

4. Confidence - Check

5. Flexibility – Check

So he has at least 4 out of 5 leadership qualities, therefor a good leader, but either way I said that he is a great leader meaning that he is leading his nation on the right path, which he is, by making it freer. Also he has shown certain leadership qualities that no one else does, common sense for example, Putin has decided not to let Syrian terrorist “refugees” into his nation to rape women and young girls, that didn’t seem sensible to him, so he didn’t.

I thank my opponent for his response. I will refute each argument with multiple responses.

Your opinion that you like Putin does not prove your point, and is flawed logic. The entire point of this debate is to prove he is likeable. Everyone knows you like him, but your opinion must be proven by facts, which I have already demonstrated are not supported with facts.

The actions that you mentioned are just a few good actions. That doesn't make him great. all of your examples were not backed up with evidence, so they do not stand. Overall, these few good actions do not make him likeable or a great leader. You never once refuted my example of how only 30% of Russians found him likable, and how almost every country in the world viewed him negatively!

Next off, popularity is not the same thing as likeability. Justin Bieber is popular, but he is hated by many people, which does not make him likeable. Your logic is flawed. Even though you had evidence about his popularity, it is irrelevant.

What is wrong with the money is that he is a liar. He said he only gets $110,000 dollars from the government, but ion fact, he is getting millions. That is flat out lying! That is a problem, which doesn't make him honest.

Russia is not free. The economic freedom Index of the Heritage Foundation put them even lower than lat year, at a mere 50%. That is not free, and you never once refuted the study.

Honesty: Fail

Compassion: Fail (Due to lack of freedom in Russia)

Integrity: Maybe

Confidence: I'll agree

Flexibility: Maybe

Overall, you have left all of my polls unrefuted, have used your opinion instead of fact, have had a lack of evidence (only using two sources), and have made many logical fallacies. All of my arguments still stand. You have been looking at a few good actions, but I have looked at the big picture. Vladimir Putin is not a good guy, or a great leader. I eagerly await my opponent's response
Posted by Smooosh 3 months ago
CON, you should've said "wma ha ha" at the end of your statement.
Posted by devinator534 3 months ago
Cant wait to see this one play out