SandieA
socialpinko

Voluntary Segregation Should Be Introduced

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

SandieA

Pro

Before I started University, I was asked to complete a form, a sort of personality profile if you will in order to aid the accommodation allocation process. I was asked to state general information such as gender, ethnicity, socio-economic class etc as well as more specific lifestyle information, for example, my sleeping pattern, my dietary preferences, my relationship status.
I had no qualms filling out all this information, and I made an especial effort to complete the form as accurately as possibly as I thought this would mean I would be less likely to be trapped in a flat with 4 people who together managed to clash with every aspect of my personality for a whole year.
How wrong I was.
After 6 months in the allocated flat, I realized there was a blindingly obvious omission of one of the sections of the form - Are You Willing To Live With People Who Are Different o You? In my case the specific question missing from the questionnaire was 'Are You Willing To Live With Someone Of A Different Race?'
From our first day together, my flat mates made their displeasure at having to share a flat with an 'ethnic' person painfully clear.
To avoid sounding bitter and to cut a long story short, I was subjected to months of abuse culminating in a noxious substance being sprayed directly in my face by them.
All of this and the subsequent police and university investigation could have been avoided if voluntary segregation had been in place.
I propose that in the allocation process for university accommodation, voluntary segregation should be instated. Provision should be made for people who are unwilling to live with people of a different race, religion, sexual orientation etc, because let's face it, discrimination in all it's forms is an inherent part of human nature and not everybody can be encouraged to change by education, threats or even force.
This way bigoted people can aggregate together; everyone wins - no one is put out of their comfort zone.
Who knows, if this principle proves to be successful it could theoretically rolled out to others institutions and establishments.
socialpinko

Con

Before I begin I would like to define the terms of the resolution so as to keep confusion to a minimum.

Voluntary: of, pertaining to, or acting in accord with the will[1]

Segregation: the separation or isolation of a race, class, or ethnic group by enforced or voluntary residence in a restricted area, by barriers to social intercourse, by separate educational facilities, or by other discriminatory means[2]

Should: must; ought[3]

Introduce: to present (a person, product, etc.) to a particular group of individuals or to the general public for or as if for the first time by a formal act, announcement, series of recommendations or events, etc.[4]

Now that the terms of this debate have been defined I will proceed to refute my opponent's arguments.

1.)"Discrimination in all it's forms is an inherent part of human nature"

This does not mean that it is the moral thing to do however. Other things that I could say are 'inherent' parts of human nature are killing, stealing, having indiscriminate sex, or being naked. This does not mean that we should implement these things into public policy though.

2.)(Personal anecdote)

This is not an argument. This does not prove that this problem is widespread enough to warrant a complete change in policy.

I await my opponent's response and defense of his contentions.

[1]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2]http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3]http://dictionary.reference.com...
[4]http://dictionary.reference.com...
SandieA

Pro

SandieA forfeited this round.
socialpinko

Con

Extend my refutations. Vote Con.
SandieA

Pro

SandieA forfeited this round.
socialpinko

Con

My opponent brought two argumets for why voluntary segregation should be introduced. The first was because discrimination comes naturally to people. I showed that this does not make it right as other things can come natural such as stealing or killing to survive. My opponent's second argument was from a personal experience and in no way reflects the experiences of the majority of people in college. I asked my opponent to bring a statistic proving that this was a common issue and he did not. I refuted my opponent's arguments and he did not respond. Therefore his arguments go conceded and the resolution is negated. Vote Con.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
SandieAsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
SandieAsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sad that this ended the way that it did. It could have been a good debate.
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
SandieAsocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: This could've bee a great debate Con had prepared a great arguments, very nicely structures, with good sources. These debates are very depressing.