17djones
demonshpawner

Voter Identification should be allowed

Updated: 4 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

17djones

Pro

(Please don't forfeit the debate. It irritates me when my opponent forfeits. Only accept if you'll actually see this debate through).

I don't see how voter ID is a problem. You have to realize that regardless of how small voter fraud cases are, it's a problem that can simply be fixed. But somehow, it's considered "discriminatory" or "racist". Please explain how that is.

ROUND 1: OPENING
ROUND 2: ARGUMENTS
ROUND 3: COUNTER AND CLOSING
demonshpawner

Con

If the government knows your name then they can conveniently bring back the draft and have you "accidentally" killed over seas. or mistreat you and find every possible argument to arrest you.
17djones

Pro

My opponent brings up the argument that presenting ID at the polls can lead to the government mistreating and arresting you for no reason. While that is a concern, it is an invalid one, and there is no evidence to support that presenting ID to vote leads to government harassment. It's about protecting our election integrity. Also, they claim the government can "bring back the draft and have you "accidentally" killed overseas". That has nothing to do with voter identification. Serving your country and voting in elections are two separate things. My opponent's opening argument is vague, at best, and is completely irrelevant to this topic. And plus, since when does the government not know your name?
demonshpawner

Con

The government always knows your name, however according to https://www.dmv.org... these laws can be used to keep poor (homeless) people away from the polls and people who live long distances from ID offices and don't have enough time to get there as they are working for the majority of their day.

I notice that 17dijones hasn't even argued for his side.
17djones

Pro

Just because people live far away from places that give ID's doesn't mean they can't get one. They can mail one to you in some states. Also, the ID's would be free or cheap, so it won't keep people who are poor away from the polls. The point is, there is nothing wrong with requiring voters to present ID to vote. We show ID for everything else, so why not show ID to vote. Implementing voter ID will lessen the rate of voter fraud and help keep our elections secure and honest. It astonishes me that the same people who say that we should protect integrity of a democratic process wants to reject something that helps protect the integrity of that process. That's why voter ID is needed. And again, there's no real argument for how it's discriminatory or racist, as some people claim it is. I thank my opponent for accepting and doing this debate. And thus, I rest my case.
demonshpawner

Con

Note the use of WOULD this means that they are not free as of right now. I highly doubt that the government or anyone will make them free unless under extreme circumstances. According to https://www.dmv.org... in California it costs $30 to purchase a new ID.
Posted by demonshpawner 4 weeks ago
demonshpawner
Sorry left off mid-idea they can;t vote in those states because they can't get an ID