maxx233
Rebutle

Voters should not be dissuaded in their ideal choice because a candidate is unlikely to be elected.

maxx233

maxx233

Pro

Debate is 4 rounds. 1st round is for acceptance, defining of terms, etc. 72 hour debate rounds, 1 week voting period. 4,000 max character arguments. This debate is for those with less than 3 completed debates (I'm new to this too!)

Resolution:
Americans should not be dissuaded from voting for their ideal candidate by fear that said candidate is unlikely to be elected.

I look forward to a good debate!
Rebutle

Con

Kiaora e te whanau. Firstly i would like to thank those who made this debate possible and I too hope for clean and appropriate debate.
It doesn't really matter whether or not the candidate will be elected because no one can be sure who will win however if the candidate should show that he is incapable of being elected and they should only choose not to vote for them, if the incapability was proven to be of his own accord and so if voters choose not to vote for them then it is their own problem and not the voters.
maxx233

Pro

Politics often present many conundrums. Often times one may find themselves in a situation where the candidate they truly support is unlikely to be elected.

Possible reasons a voter may presume their choice candidate may be unlikely to be elected:
  • They're running under a party platform other than Democrat or Republican.
  • Voters generally don't know enough about the candidate, or perhaps haven't even heard of them.
  • A large subset of voters are socially encouraged to compromise significant portions of their individual values to rally behind one candidate who best encompasses (and compromises) everybody's values - presumably in order to oppose a candidate who most negatively impacts an important aspect of the entire group's values.
  • The candidate is simply disliked by an obviously large percentage of people.

I will attempt to prove that Americans *should* vote for the candidate they truly support despite reasons such as these.

Point 1:
Common sense would suggest that any candidate running for election is likely to have at least some people who consider them absolutely ideal, and at least some people who consider them absolutely awful. As the number of candidates running for election increases, the number of compromises a voter has to make to decide on their ideal candidate decreases.

Point 2:
Voting is meant to tally those in support of a candidate - and by extension, all policies and values that candidate embodies - ultimately in order to determine the predominant collective opinion. If a large majority of voters compromise a significant portion of their values when choosing a candidate then the election does not accurately reflect the values of those voting

Point 3:
When voters accurately cast their votes it can have a significant political result regardless whether their candidate wins or not. Growing numbers of votes for failed candidates that reflect certain values demonstrate to law makers and future candidates that those values are increasingly of major political importance, and in need of representation. A significant example of this[1] pertains to women's suffrage and child labor laws, as heralded by the Progressive Party around the turn of the century

Conclusion:
In order for the election process to consistently produce candidates and suggest policy that closely match the values and goals of a predominant portion of society, voters must accurately reflect their values and goals when casting their vote!

[1] http://books.google.com...
Rebutle

Con

Rebutle forfeited this round.
maxx233

Pro

My opponent forfeited the previous round. All of my previous points still stand.
Rebutle

Con

Rebutle forfeited this round.
maxx233

Pro

Again my opponent has forfeited the round :\ All of my previous points remain uncontested. Hoping to reuse this topic with a challenger who's not a no-show.
Rebutle

Con

Rebutle forfeited this round.
Posted by maxx233 4 years ago
maxx233
Sad face :( Maybe the criteria for a new user to go up against wasn't a good idea, looks like I may be winning by forfeit :\ Anyone else fairly new to debating, but who's actually going to stick around, wish to take up this challenge?
Posted by maxx233 4 years ago
maxx233
Ha, responding every 3 days before deadline looks to be the pace of this one too ;) It's the first debate for both of us, I think we're both easing into it! I'm interested to see how this one goes, it was the only topic I could come up with that I felt good about condensing into a decent resolution. Knowing that I'll have to do research and present things as formally as I can does wonders to dispell a great deal of Internet bravado - attaining a certain debate rating should be a requirement to comment on Internet news sites lol Anywho, feel free to check back in every couple days as we get around to posting our arguments! :)
Posted by TheOrator 4 years ago
TheOrator
I believe the Con, wish i could hve accepted in time :P My only other debate has my opponent responding every three days just before deadline, so I have time :P
Posted by maxx233 4 years ago
maxx233
If no one accepts the debate then I'll post it again without the criteria. The perceived unlikelihood of a debate against a seasoned challenger being winnable for a newbie dissuades me from electing an open challenge at this time ;)
Posted by Cody_Franklin 4 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Can I pretend to have fewer than three completed debates...?
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 4 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
I am dissuaded from debating because I am unlikely to meet the criteria :)
Vote Placed by TheBossToss 4 years ago
TheBossToss
maxx233RebutleTied
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
maxx233RebutleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Con.