williamcarter
ChosenWolff

Voting based on your Christian/ Catholic beliefs is wrong.

ChosenWolff

williamcarter

Pro

I am really bad at this, but hope to improve my debating after this.Let's dive in!

I believe voting based on your religious beliefs is wrong. Straight forward. Why? Well someone as a christian believes in God and following his rules is part of believing in him. So when you vote you are voting in what you believe in. Yes, but when you vote its because you believe in something that tells you to follow his rules so is it really your own opinion or just an allusion. In this I am not saying take away your right to religion, but you shouldn't make a voting decision based on your religious belief.This keeps what our fore fathers wanted, THE CHURCH AND STATE SEPARATED.
williamcarter

Pro

I stick with my round 1 statement.
ChosenWolff

Con

That was your OP, but there were no arguments. I realize you're a new member, so I'm trying to help you out. You, as the instigator, must prove voting based on religious beliefs is wrong. Me, as the oppsiition, must prove voting based on religious beliefs is not wrong.

Well someone as a christian believes in God and following his rules is part of believing in him. So when you vote you are voting in what you believe in.

This is a strong contention in my favor. Right and wrong are subjective, but beliefs are justifiably so. Democracy and peoples rule can only work if people vote based on their beliefs. If they don't vote based on their beliefs, whether it be god, integrity, hard work, family values, ect., then they are voting based on someone elses. When you vote based on someone else's beliefs, you are supporting party or singular despotism, IE, authoritarian states. But when people vote based on their own beliefs, they can change the world to their tastes. To their sensibilities. Allowing people to vote based on any belief is justified, even if it's a religious one.

My opponent has two premise BOP's. One is to prove that some authoritarian elements are good. The other is to prove that it's ok to discriminate one set of values or beliefs.

Yes, but when you vote its because you believe in something that tells you to follow his rules so is it really your own opinion or just an allusion.

You make the mistake of thinking all religions work the same way. Either way, it's ok for someone to vote based on someone they honestly believe in. The difference between this and what I said, is that with his contention, the religious wo/man, has the choice of following god, spirituality, ect. By forcing someone to a defined and subjective moral code is forcing someone to betray or disregard their own values.

I don't like to overplay this card, but Pro must prove morality is subjective.

This keeps what our fore fathers wanted, THE CHURCH AND STATE SEPARATED.

For the record, not everyone shares the same forefathers. You're confusing church and state though. The CAS amendment restricts government and religion being intertwined. Or in other words, religious institutions cannot have a place in government, and vice versa. Not whether someone can vote based on their religious values. For example, Jesus and Muhammed both advocated for charity to the poor. If a mother votes for welfare expansion with this as the sole motivator, is the mother wrong?
williamcarter

Pro

williamcarter forfeited this round.
ChosenWolff

Con

Pro has no intrest in debating this
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
williamcarterChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
williamcarterChosenWolffTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff