PorscheBob
Logan94

Voting for one party government for sole purpose of efficiency...valid concept?

Logan94

PorscheBob

Pro

It is my opinion that both Houses of Congress are currently populated by such a large percentage of unworthy, unintelligent, selfish, uncaring, illogical and anti-science extremist bigots that I would propose to ALL intelligent US citizens, core conservatives and liberals alike, that they cast their votes in 2014 to bring one party rule to the Senate and House. This would of course beg the question, one party rule to which party?

I am a registered Republican who has been self employed since 1986. I am fiscally conservative and consider myself a social moderate. I believe there is no doubt that our currency could be seriously destabilized and that the country could collapse as a world power and capitalist leader in less than 20 years if we do not take stringent measures to bring debt under control through a combination of reduced discretionary spending, increased investment in renewable energy and infrastructure upgrades. I also believe US job retention and creation through funding of education, medical and scientific research, tax credits for industry providing jobs in and private funding of same and comprehensive immigration reform with a pathway to citizenship are of equal importance.

This position leaves me defined not as a modern conservative, but as a left wing liberal and a sworn enemy of the state in terms of the 2012 GOP platform. I no longer recognize my party, nor many of the people claiming to champion its values. Fiscal conservatism has been replaced by a slash and burn ideology of allowing only room in the country for the able bodied and economically fortunate to survive...generally behind gates in upscale, walled communities. Science, logic, common sense and intelligent discourse has been abandoned by these new hard right wing radicals for conspiracy theory or any bald-faced lie that panders to their Evangelical base or the small but dangerous group of heavily armed, intensely paranoid paramilitary types that support them. People who once would have been seen as marginally compromised seem to be taking over the entire GOP. Growing in power sequentially backed by prevaricating, racist, hate mongering buffoons like Donald Trump. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and the giant right wing extremist media propaganda machines like Fox News that promote or hire them. The worst part of all this is that at the one time in the country"s history when intelligence and cogent, science based problem solving has been most sorely needed, factual reality has been abandoned for fear based class warfare and conspiracy while cogent reason has been excused away by one"s "faith in basic Judeo/Christian values".

I believe the methodology of obstructionism, voter suppression and gerrymandering as a means of power retention in maintaining a right wing extremist, anti-science, anti-minority, bigoted, fundamentalist 'Evangelical Christian' power base at the cost of dismantling the middle class and destroying the country economically is patently insane. I believe taking the opposite position of an intelligent, thoughtful and well meaning US President on every single political issue because he is black is racist and anti-American (and face it, trace every source of this extremist birtherism, or socialist, Islamic/Sharia "dedication" of Barack Obama back to it's source and that"s where you arrive). I believe that compromise and showing common respect to people of different ideologies so that you can accomplish the business of the American people is not only a fundamental underlying principal of the US Constitution but ultimately a sign of moral character...the absence of which should disqualify one immediately from being able to serve in either House of Congress. Believing in any of those concepts, according to the mainstream controlling interests of today"s GOP or "Tea Party", is tantamount to treason. For this reason, I not only believe the Republican Party needs to be voted out of power in the legislative (and possibly the 2016 executive) branches of government for the next 2 to possibly 6 years, but that leaving them in power could prove not just dangerous but possibly fatal to the future of the United States as an economic power and world leader.

Therefore, I propose the argument that intelligent, concerned people of all political persuasions cast their votes in 2014 and possibly again if necessary in 2016 to unify the legislative (and possibly the executive) branch of US Government under the Democratic Party. My reasoning being:

1. That during at least two years (2015-2016) it will be possible once again to accomplish the business of the nation"s people and that legislation addressing said urgent business will again be free to be debated and passed. I realize (and recognize as valid) the probable argument that the President and both Houses of Congress had this situation from 2008 through 2010 and failed to accomplish much. I ask for consideration that at that time the country was descending into the worst economic hell since the Great Depression under an inexperienced, un-battle tested rookie President. I think that given another opportunity, the situation would be entirely different in that under united Democratic governance, not known for their anti-science, anti-logic stances, the party would be far and away the most likely to recognize the huge but perhaps one time, fleeting historical opportunity given it to right a debt-ridden and floundering ship of state. It is also my opinion the Democratic Party would be least likely to squander the opportunity on petty partisan politics, zealously use it to defund every social safety net ever created, deregulate Wall Street to the point another fiscal crisis would be assured or worse, to increase military spending while axing personal income tax rates for the wealthy at the expense of the poor and middle class.

2. That during the time they were out of majority power, the GOP leadership would be forced to seriously re-think their positions and realize the damage done by the extremist Tea Party obstructionists. That they could take that opportunity to reorganize and bring the party back into grips with reality. They could expand their party tent and truly diversify, devote resources to developing a platform dedicated to solving issues through factual based reality and not simply advancing their cause through obstructing resolution and finally, in reigning in the far right extremist principal that compromise has no place in politics. And lastly that the country as a whole would be strengthened by a revamped, reality based GOP once they returned to a balance of power.

I welcome discourse on the downside or upside of proposing to intelligent, concerned voters, the non-partisan based platform of unifying government under the Democratic Party for a limited period of time to rid the country of gridlock. I welcome in particular any factual or logic based arguments on how such a proposal might worsen the country's future 2 to 6 year situation over the one that currently exists.

PB
Logan94

Con

I do not believe it would be a wise idea to allow one party to rule the entire government. No party has the answer, and it is best for both parties to work together and compromise a solution. If the Democratic party ran everything they would not have to listen to the Republican party. I am a registered Democrat but i do believe that the Republican party has some good ideas. Compromise is the best thing for the nation at this time.

The economy is growing at a fantastic rate. We need to keep this going, we came to this point from a lot of compromise. Yes dual party systems to have issues. For example when we could not come to an agreement on the fiscal cliff issue, until the day after we went over the cliff. This will happen in a dual party system. Yes, i believe that the Republican party could have been move lenient but they were protecting the people that voted for them. That is there job, if we have a complete Democratic system who will look out for the Republican citizens. We need a mix of politicians.

http://www.reuters.com...
http://www.bbc.co.uk...

Also leadership in the Oval office is not an issue. Obama saved the economy from plummeting even further in 2008 by passing the stimulus package. It was expensive but it leveled off the economy and allowed for continued growth. Obama has shown he can do the job, and as Americans we need to trust the man we put in office.

http://content.ksg.harvard.edu...

Vote Con, this is not the road america should take. And is almost a communistic idea
PorscheBob

Pro

PorscheBob forfeited this round.
Logan94

Con

Extend arguments

Vote Con.
PorscheBob

Pro

PorscheBob forfeited this round.
Logan94

Con

extend arguments vote con
PorscheBob

Pro

PorscheBob forfeited this round.
Logan94

Con

extend arguments
vote con
PorscheBob

Pro

PorscheBob forfeited this round.
Logan94

Con

I thought this was going to be a good debate but i was wrong.
extend arguments
Please someone vote con so i don't tie
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 4 years ago
funwiththoughts
PorscheBobLogan94Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con easily wins due to Pro FF.