Farooq
Cooperman88

Voting should be mandatory

Con Tied Pro

Farooq

Con

In Australia people of voting age who do not practice their right are fined 75$ (Aus). Should the same sort of thing happen here? I think, the status quo is better. Let me expalin.

First of not all the people pay much attention to poltics. When voting, they should not be voting becuase of the cool-sounding names or because they've "always" supported that particualr party, but rather because they are informed and trying to give the government their opinion. Although it would be undemocratic to question their reasons for voting neither should we force people to vote if they really don't care about whats going on and aren't going to pry their eyes away from the TV for less than an hour to go vote.

Opponent, its your turn.
Cooperman88

Pro

First off I would like to say good luck. I say that voting should be mandatory. The trend over the past elections has been one of a decreasing number of people who actually vote. You gave your reasons for that already. I would say that people who live in a democracy, should be democratic. This nation is run by people who are elected. Except for the exceptions like judges and cabinet members. If no one elects anyone, there can be no democracy. Now, I am not necessarily the best person to defend a democracy, since I feel that our government is very flawed. A democracy does not work well on a grand scale like america. People now aren't interested in politics. But since it is politics that essentially runs their lives, then they should be required to have a say in it. If a person does not vote, then they are giving up the right that our forefathers gave their lives for. This means they don't deserve the right to be an american.

That is my main argument.

My second argument is one of a technicality. Now, I realize that people hate voting for these reasons, but it is one that should be voted upon. You don't specify where voting should be mandatory, or on what it should be mandatory on. So, since you don't, I will. I say that voting should be mandatory for judges judging a debate round. It is their duty to provide a clear winner and loser, or even a tie. They have made a choice to give their time to judge, and voting should be a requirement. This will allow the debaters to see how they did in the round, and it provides for a winner. Now I realize that this is a shanty way of winning, which is why I also argued legitimately, but as someone who provides a topic, you should clarify more specifically. For those of you voting, I did stick to the topic. You can't say I didn't. So you should vote on both of my arguments.
Farooq

Con

In response to second arguement that I do not sepcify where or what voting should be mandaotry on, I am referring to poltical elections in democratic countires on broad, open phiolosophical sense of it.

Voting is a right, and people have the right to vote for a cadnidatebecuasue of their issues, history, tradtion, demogrphic, hotness, or whatever else they want to. It is there right, but voter apahty would not be ixed by making voting mandatory. Should we really be encoraging unifmormed, poltically apatheic people to go to the polls evne if they haven't the slightest inclaination about who the cnadnates are and don't really care? Voting is a right, but tkaing no interest in poltics is also a right, though hopefully not too many people do this. Rtaher than force people to vote why dont't polticians bother to start glavanizing the nations of the democractic world so that people are actually taking a geneuine interest in voting?
Cooperman88

Pro

Now, in a normal debate round, it would irk me that you waited to specify on what type of voting. But I don't care right now. So ok, let's talk about voting in a democratic country. You say in a broad sense, but for the sake of debate, can we say America? Either way, the arguments will still cross apply. You say "people have the right to vote for a cadnidatebecuasue of their issues, history, tradtion, demogrphic, hotness, or whatever else they want to." I agree that people actually do vote for these reasons. If people actually vote for these reasons, then why if we force them to vote, would it be bad. Someone voting for a presidential candidate because he/she is "hot" is the same as someone who is completely apathetic being forced to vote. There is no credibility in either one. And like I said earlier, our founding fathers fought for the right to vote. One of their main cries was "No taxation without representation." Now though, as you and I can both agree upon, people don't want to vote on who represents them. This is a huge shame. If people don't want to participate in the process of electing the officials who run their country, then they don't deserve to live in that country. Voting can be mandatory, and it won't hurt anything. If voting were to be mandatory, then we still have the people who will vote on who is the hottest. But we also will have the people who normally wouldn't vote because of one reason or another, but when forced to, will actually take it seriously and research it. Yes, voting is a right, but that doesn't mean it should be optional. Our government relies on people voting. It is essential to our political process. That is why the people living in this country, should at least vote.
Posted by Farooq 9 years ago
Farooq
So true Cooperman! Debate.org is trying to rectify this problem however in its new featutres due to be relaesed soon, so that it offers an issue poll and than asks who won the debatre. If David Irving was trying to debate the Holacosut's relaity with some joe-blow who had been taught 10th grade history only, likly I doubt he'd be able to win the debate, regardless of a what a crack-pot Irving is.
Posted by mindjob 9 years ago
mindjob
Good debate. Instead of making voting mandatory in order to boost turnout, how about making election day a national holiday? Is there anyone else who thinks there is nothing more archaic than voting on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November? If we have to vote on a weekday, when most people find it difficult to get away from work, why can't we just designate it a holiday so there is no work to miss?
Posted by Cooperman88 9 years ago
Cooperman88
Sorry if i angered you, but you must admit that people often vote on what they feel and not on who debated the best. All that was was me trying to make sure it didn't happen.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
cooperman , who said I was voting for anyone yet? The debate isn't even finished yet. I am sick of people assuming that because you post your opinion that you are voting that way.
Posted by Cooperman88 9 years ago
Cooperman88
yes, but please don't vote on what you think. vote on what the arguments are. i personally don't think that people must vote. it's just an argument, and you should vote for whoever the best debater is. not for who you agree with.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I agree that it is a bad idea to force people to vote because I think they will not vote due to what the candidate can do , but so they won't get in trouble.
Vote Placed by The_Devils_Advocate 8 years ago
The_Devils_Advocate
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by claypigeon 9 years ago
claypigeon
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by scottberman 9 years ago
scottberman
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by JonWayne 9 years ago
JonWayne
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by Debater2008 9 years ago
Debater2008
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by Farooq 9 years ago
Farooq
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by mindjob 9 years ago
mindjob
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 9 years ago
sluggerjal
FarooqCooperman88Tied
Vote Placed by Cooperman88 9 years ago
Cooperman88
FarooqCooperman88Tied