PatriotPerson
Jaluzi123

WWI should be better remembered than it is now.

PatriotPerson

PatriotPerson

Pro

Notice how it says WWI, not WWII. This debate is about World War One. That's right. That one war that barely anyone knows or cares about. The purpose of this debate is for me (Pro) to argue that WWI should be better remembered than it is now, and my opponent (Con) shall argue that the remembrance of WWI should remain the same or even decrease.
First round is for acceptance.
Jaluzi123

Con

WW1 is remembered, every year there is a remembrance parade, mainly for WW1, the main symbol for remembrance day is a poppy, which originates from WW1 and the fields of Belgium and the Netherlands. Also, every school in England teaches WW1. I don't think WW1 is forgotten as such, it's just remebered as a pointless war, since WW2 happened 20 years later.
PatriotPerson

Pro

WW1 needs to be way more remembered than it is now. Every kid these days knows about WW2 because of Call of Duty or whatever. The only reason these youngsters know there was a world war one is that they know there was a world war two, thus there had to have been a first one.

1. World War II has a For Dummies book but World War I doesn't.
2. World War II has all these excellent films (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, etc.) But we are yet to see such a film epic about World War One.
3. World War I costed billions of lives and changed many countries forever.
4. World War I is the sixth deadliest war in world history.

There are many more reasons but as this is only the frst part of the debate I leave the next argument to you.
Jaluzi123

Con

In British schools, for KS3 everyone is taught about WW1, and not WW2. Also, I would like to rectify your point about "billions" dying in WW1. In fact, 16 million died in WW1, whereas over 60 million died in WW2. The reason WW2 is talked about so much is that it's meant to be in modern times, and people thought that something like WW2 couldn't happen. The reason WW1 is not so well known (it still is well known compared to other wars) is simply because it was a hundred years ago. How many people have heard of the Boer war, or the Crimean war. those wars aren't even taught in school. The main wars everyone learns about in school are WW1, world war two and the cold war. The second two are arguably the most important in the twentieth century, as they shaped the modern world. If the outcome of those wars had been different, so would the world around us. WW1 wasn't a clash of ideologies, it was a war between imperialist countries, and those who wanted empires, although it was still important.
PatriotPerson

Pro

"In British schools, for K53 everyone is taught about WW1, and not WW2."
That may be true, but how does that compare to students in other countries? What about the USA, Germany, Japan, Italy, Austria, and all the others? They are lacking a direct education on WW1, yet their countries were large factors in the war.

"Also, I would like to rectify your point about "billions" dying in WW1."
I know, my mistake. A simple typo. I meant to say "millions".

"The reason WW2 is talked about so much is that it's meant to be in modern times, and people thought that something like WW2 couldn't happen."
What do you mean "meant to be in modern times"? And people never thought something like WW1 could happen either. You know, they were both world wars, costing lives from every main country on the earth...and they also called WW1 "The Great War", back before WW2 happened.

"The reason WW1 is not so well known (it is still well known compared to other wars) is simply because it was a hundred years ago."
So what? A hundred years is barely a distance. And the revolutionary war started about 238 years ago. That is more than double a hundred, and yet the revolutionary war is HIGHLY remembered. Same with the civil war. The civil war started around 150 years ago, and that is still one of the highest remembered wars in history. So, with these, how come WW1 isn't as well remembered?

"How many have heard of the Boer war, or the Crimean war. those wars aren't even taught in school."
The people that have heard of those wars are the people who are interested in the participating countries' history. The reason those wars aren't taught in school is because they aren't complete, turning points of history. WW1 was, yet is not taught in many schools.

"The main wars everyone learns about in school are WW1, world war two and the cold war."
That depends solely on what school you go to. Different schools have different curriculums. And, to counter your argument, the main wars that schools focus on are the revolutionary war, the civil war, and maybe WW2.
Jaluzi123

Con

Jaluzi123 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

My opponent has FFed. I will have finishing arguments and points next round.
Jaluzi123

Con

Jaluzi123 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Ah, whatever. My opponent has already double-FFed and will probably Triple. My arguments go uncountered.
So...

VOTE PRO!!
Jaluzi123

Con

Jaluzi123 forfeited this round.
Posted by Youngastronomer 5 months ago
Youngastronomer
I was taught about WW1 as well thankfully.
Posted by Youngastronomer 5 months ago
Youngastronomer
6th deadliest conflict? 3rd deadliest, but the worst conflict, soldiers suffered far more in WW1 than WW2 and that's pretty factual.
Posted by Subutai 3 years ago
Subutai
I also agree with this topic, but I'm curious as to how you will argue this.
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
Good to know I have a supporter!
Posted by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
Totally on board with Pro on this one!
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
PatriotPersonJaluzi123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: A good debate topic. Con forfeited leaving arguments Pro's arguments unanswered, losing both conduct and arguments. I think Pro could have made a stronger case my citing the historical lessons and important facts about the War. The Battle of the Somme cost a million lives, with 30,000 the first day; it provides perspective for modern wars like Iraq. Poisoned gas and mechanized warfare were initiated in WWI. the end of WWI was called "the happiest day in the history of the world." Such facts would, I think, bolster the case for remembering the war. Also, specifics of countries other than Britain would help. Con's case was quite close until he forfeited.