crazypenguin
DucoNihilum

Wal Mart is good for america

Con Tied Pro

crazypenguin

Con

Thank you for joining this debate,

I will first state a couple of my points,

Wal-Mart does more harm than good by paying lower wages, decreased health care benefits and squeezing competitors out of the market. With the "squeezing" part, Playing the same old game when Wal-Mart comes to town just won't cut it in most cases.

Also when Wal-Mart came to US counties from 1987-1998 the poverty lines all rose drastically.

Wal-Mart built it's new Mega-Store right outside Huntington so it didn't have to contribute to the taxes of that county, what kind of neighbor is that?

I will state more of my points in my next argument.

Thank you,
DucoNihilum

Pro

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
crazypenguin

Con

Since My opponent didn't post anything, I will post more points.

•WAL MART EMPLOYEES MAKE HALF THE MONEY THEN OTHER JOBS SUCH AS COSTCO AND SAMS JOBS
Wal-Mart boasts that 74% of its sales employees work full-time but this doesn't mean they are making good money. In 2001, Wal-Mart sales clerks made an average of $8.23 an hour ($13,861 a year). While $8.23 an hour doesn't sound like a bad wage for part-time work while you are getting through school, people who use that job as their full-time employment are in trouble: they make $800 below the federal poverty line for a family of three. Costco's workers make an average of $15.97 per hour; Sam's Club pays $11.52 per hour.
•WAL-MART DOES NOT GIVE GOOD BENEFITS
Wal-Mart does not give good benefits. Part-time Wal-Mart workers are not eligible for family medical coverage. They become eligible for individual coverage only after two years with the company (Dan Fogleman, Wal-Mart spokesperson, is the source). Overall, Wal-Mart covers 48 percent of its workers with company health insurance. Costco covers 82 percent of its workers. Also, Costco's workers are able to get health insurance in six months, they receive thousands more dollars in health and retirement plans from their employer and far more of Costco's employees are included in its 401(k) and profit-sharing plans. Wal-Mart pays 66 percent of the healthcare premiums for those happy few covered employees Costco pays 92 percent. Employee turnover is 6 percent for Costco. For Sam's Club, it's 21 percent. Wal-Mart's turnover is a whopping 50 percent.
•WAL-MART DOES NOT HELP CITIES AND COUNTRIES GROW THEIR ECONOMY
Wal-Mart does not help cities and counties grow their economy. Here in Huntington, Wal-Mart intentionally placed its new mega store just outside of Huntington so that it would not have to contribute to the tax-base of the city. What kind of neighbor is it being? Why doesn't it want to contribute to our economy? Because that would cost more money U.S. counties where Wal-Mart stores were built from 1987 to 1998 had higher poverty levels than anywhere else.
•WAL MART PUSHES SMALL BUISNESSES OUT OF BUISNESS
When Wal-Mart comes the small business is usually making a decent profit and selling goods at a reasonable price but when Wal-Mart comes and buys the lot for the minimum amount of money the small business is done for and Wal-Mart now occupies the place. Whenever a new Wal-Mart opens, small businesses—from dress shops and pharmacies to hardware, auto supply and music stores—close their doors and good jobs disappear. While Wal-Mart kills family retail businesses and pushes out jobs that pay well, it also forces suppliers to relocate their plants overseas to meet its low-price demands.
EMPLOYEES AT WAL-MART HAVE VERY BAD LIVES.
They get low wages bad benefits; they barely can survive in any place if they have a family, or even in that case are living by themselves. Wal-Mart gives such bad opportunities that employees can do nothing but live a bad life. 4 wal-mart employees said that "My paycheck never reflected overtime pay" –Liberty Serna another was "Forced to return to work one day after severing part of his hand on the job"-Paul Moser, another one said "no help from Wal-Mart after she was injured on the job"- Latasha Barker and lastly "Managers work off the clock to get the job done" –Robbin Franklin.

•SUMMARY: Wal-Mart does more harm than good by paying lower wages, decreased health care benefits and squeezing competitors out of the market. With the "squeezing" part, Playing the same old game when Wal-Mart comes to town just won't cut it in most cases.
Thank you,
DucoNihilum

Pro

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
I posted my arguments in the comments section. I finished all of my arguments within the allotted time, but due to a bug, was unable to post them. I was fixing up the argument when my timer suddenly ran out- even though it said I had an hour left. The administrators know about this bug and plan to fix it in 3.0.
Posted by griffinisright 8 years ago
griffinisright
I agree with you, DucoNihilum but if you want to win a debate you sure as hell better not forfit rounds like that! Pathetic!
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
@Danj9984

That's totally contrary to the entire purpose of this website.

http://www.debate.org...

I'd appreciate it if the 8 people who voted against me were as honest as you. I received no feedback, positive or negative.
Posted by toria_2metal 8 years ago
toria_2metal
what bout the mom n pop shops!
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
No problem- not your fault....

I do however blame the software on the site....

This is the third time the debate closed before the timer ran out on my end, I'm getting angry.
Posted by crazypenguin 8 years ago
crazypenguin
DucoNihilum I'm sorry it posted in the comments I would have responded but I didn't see it down there.
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
Considering this is a debate website devoted to DEBATE and the voting on who won these DEBATES, who argued better is OBVIOUSLY important. Don't vote against me because you disagreed with me- vote against me if you honestly believed my opponent argued better than I did.
Posted by danj9984 8 years ago
danj9984
Doesn't matter who argued this one better, Wal- Mart is a drain on what is a slowly slipping greatest-nation in the world. The cheap prices hurts vendors and their overall profits, especially those businesses that are american made,new companies that are still young and can't afford to ship much of their sellable items to other countries, and simply justt exploiting the working class of America
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
Sorry, I posted it in comments again. AGAIN the timer said I had more than 30 minutes to go, and while fixing up misspelling and such it said the debate concluded.... when I still had 30 minutes to go..... They REALLY need to fix this!!!!!!!!!
Posted by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
Sure it may be difficult to do all you want on a such a limited income, but that is not Wal-Marts fault. Wal-Mart's job is not to 'end poverty', it is to make money and pay it's employees well enough for them to be interested in the job. It is not Wal-Mart's falt that their employees aren't skilled enough to work elsewhere.

You keep on comparing Wal-Mart to costco, they are not the same company- walmart being 'worse' than costco has nothing to do with them being 'good' for America.

It is not ANY busniesses job to give free health care and benefits to all of their employees, especially the low rung employees that they're OVERPAYING anyways.

I already refuted your poverty level argument.

Putting small busneisses out of busniess is NOT a bad thing! Small busniessese going out of busniess is their OWN fault, Wal-Mart does this by pleasing the consumers. The consumers vote with their dollars to put the small busniesses out of busniess, not wal-mart. You don't like walmart because it is too sucessfull, and too good.

You do not HAVE to work at walmart if you do not want to. Why would you expect to be paid 'very well' at a job like Wal-mart? Wal-mart employes unskilled workers, workers that do not deserve incsredible sallaries.

Wal-Mart brings down prices for everybody, allowing people to live just a little better. People have a few extra dollars in their pocket when they shop at walmart compared to these great 'small busniesses' you cite. While that extra money may not be much to you, to a poor person it can be astranomical.

Wal-mart pays it's employees well, especially compared to small busniesses which can not afford to pay their employees more than minimum wage. Wal-mart prefers paying their workers ABOVE market value!
Vote Placed by crazypenguin 7 years ago
crazypenguin
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by sagarous 8 years ago
sagarous
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 8 years ago
padfo0t
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by ballplayer 8 years ago
ballplayer
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by bigbass3000 8 years ago
bigbass3000
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by balluh 8 years ago
balluh
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 8 years ago
griffinisright
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
crazypenguinDucoNihilumTied