wooferalot101
FalseReality

Walmart=pro vs. the mall =con

wooferalot101

Pro

I think that walmart is better than all the stores because of all that it has to offer. Has many more things that the mall do not!
FalseReality

Con

The mall is clearly better than Wal Mart for a number of reasons

1) Specialization: Each store is specialized in a certain field most of te time. They all offer more towards an individual cause than any walmart does. Wal Mart is about generic's, things that apply to everyone. For instance, one of the malls I go to is specifically set up to sell movies. I was able to buy the 'Thumb' sixtology that Wal Mart did not and probably has never sold ever. The mall also has a Borders. Just going in there you can see that their selection is FAR superior than the 1 row of Stphen King's latest, the SPiderwick Chronicles, and any of the New York best sellrs. Also, theres a plethora of clothing stores that dwarf WalMarts generic brands.

2) Neatness: I hadn't shopped at a WalMart for about 6 months, then I went back to one and remembered why. The store is trashy. Its hard to find things, its cramped, and aisles are constantly in disaray. Its a mad house, and I don't see how anyone manages to find anything at all. But Mall shops take a bit more pride in their organization. They've got things neat and tidy, and because the store is so small, they can instantly fix anything that's been botched up. Much more pleasant to be in.

3) Employee's: Its impossible to find them in a WalMart, and when you do they are not doing anything but walking, and ignoring costomers. In a Mall, because of the shops size, and vaccancy, employee's are always willing/able to help you out. I've never entered a shop without someone coming up to me and asking if I needed help finding anything. Usually I just am browsing, but the gesture is still appreciated. Walmart employee's also have a trend of being unhappy, mopy people. This may just be the people themselves, but I don't think its unreasonable to say they just HATE their job.

4) Space: Malls are much more roomy than walmart is. Even when it is crowded in malls, there's still a good amount of elbow room. The last time I checked, a regular WalMart aisle was as big, if not smaller, than the amount of space my arms could reach out, so about 5 feet. Even the main walkways which are about 8-10 feet across are smaller than a malls walk ways.

5) Decor: Malls are much more eye pleasing than WalMart. The roomyness of the hall ways, the 2 levels (or more, and general decorations are much better than a common WalMart. The one I go to has a nice little forest in the center, and little ponds in places. The Stores also jazz up their shops because they have that freedom of being their own shop. Spencer's and Hot Topic are the best examples, even though I don't shop there. WalMart has to be plain because its made for everybody, and can't seem to slide towards any specific trend. Boring and generic.

These are my reasons, now I'd like to hear yours.
wooferalot101

Pro

"Malls are much more eye pleasing than WalMart"
Currently this might be true. But when you look at most WalMart's, they are getting redone to be more "eye pleasing".
It does not need to be well decorated because you just shop there. You don't stay there all day.

Walmart sells many more things than the mall. Walmart has more varietys. They sell clothes, food, toys, movies and video games, furniture, cleaning items and dental. They even have a holiday section and a pharmacy. How great is that. It is all in one store.

For space issues, that is one thing that they are working on renovating. They want to make the aisles bigger so when there are a lot of people, there will be space there.
FalseReality

Con

Well that incredibly short and vague rebuttal did close to nothing to counter any of my positions. But I'll respond against them anyway.

You may not shop there all day (god forbid at ALL) but you are still there for some time. One very rarly just goes in and out, usually a minimum of ten minutes is reguired to find and buy even one thing, not to mention if you have a shopping list. Most of that time is spent simply looking for the item around the store. Because of its size and quantity of aisles it takes a long time for one to find a general location, and because those aisles are so disorganized it can take several observations to find the item your searching for. The time I went into Walmart recently? That was to find those clear plastic page protectors, it took me 30 minutes to locate them. I first looked in school supplies, then office, then finally found them in CRAFTS. But a mall does not have this clutter, rather,each store has its own special purpose. Had I the time to reach the mall, I could have easily gone to the copy center were they more than likly would have a nice, viewable rack of various page protectors.

You fail to give any real examples of what sets WalMart apart from any mall store. ll the items you mentioned can be purchased at a mall. I'll list them respectivly with your examples: American Eagle, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, KB Kids, Babbages (for both), Matress Firm/Select Comfort, GNC, Classic Dental, Build-A-Bear, Vitamin World. How great is that, all in one mall.

But Malls already have space. And will always out do Walmart on that unless they plan to make 16 foot wide aisles.

So Malls still have more. Walmart sells the same basic stuff, sure, but malls have a wider and more personable selection. Never has WalMart had anything close to the selection of cool, and decorative stuff like at Coach house. Nor does it have a movie theatre like mine does. Here, I'll give you the link to its directory.
http://www.chapelhillsmall.com...
I defy you to look at it and still say Walmart sells more and better things. I won't even count the Kmart that is there, and it STILL beats crummy ol WalMart. I've even talked to WalMart employees (hard as THAT endevor was) about some items and they will still point me in the malls direction. Why? Because they don't have it. The Mall does. theres even things at the mall that are better priced than WalMart (always low prices? I don't think so). So The mall still beats Walmart.
wooferalot101

Pro

If you are looking for a higher class version, just go to Target. Just like WalMart. It has more space and is owned by walmart. They even have a wholesale club called Sams Club.. Once again, they are rebuilding a lot of walmart. If you can't find something, Just ask an employee to help you. It is that simple. Why would you want to spend a whole day at the mall when you can spend 30 minutes getting everything in one place. Normally if you tell them a problem, they will do there best to fix it. Shopping at WalMart is better than the mall. The aisles are crowded because of the popularity level they have.
FalseReality

Con

But you are not defending Target or Sam's Club, only Wal-Mart, which is very low class and generally trashy.

Like I said, the employee service is bad, many people besides myself agree on that. And even if I do ask an employee, again, many times more than not they won't have the product, especially if its something unique. They only carry the 'latest', meaning only new movies, best seller books, mass produced towels, ect. I wanted to find 'Monty Pythons The Meaning of Life', and oddly enough the first place I went was WalMart. Did they have it? No. But I found it at Babbages, located in the mall. I'm a fan of a comic entitled 'The Living Dead', and WalMart of course, does not carry graphic novels, while Borders did. Their stuff is also not as high quality as specialty stores that the mall has, like jewlery, clothes, and furniture. Its actually shorter to shop in a mall because you have a store designated for whatever thing you need to buy. But you can also stay in it longer because its more appealing than WalMart you may actually just WANT to. I've actually been on an errand in the mall sometimes, and accidentally meet a friend, and then we just walk around looking at stuff. You don't get that in a WalMart, because your first priority is to get out. The aisles may be crowded because theres alot of people, but thats precisely the problem. But a mall shop is spacey, and neat. Comfortable for everyone. You don't get that with WalMart.

So, I'll just say to the voters to not vote on which building you like better, but by which of use defended ours better. Thanks
Posted by The_Philosopher 9 years ago
The_Philosopher
walmart does not own target...
Posted by clemsongirl5353 9 years ago
clemsongirl5353
There are more restrooms in the mall, than Walmart making it easier to shop.
Posted by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
WALMART SUCKS, shop at a local mom and pop and help your community.
Posted by Vi_Veri 9 years ago
Vi_Veri
Fantastic argument, Con. You win, hands down.
Vote Placed by livi 9 years ago
livi
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by clemsongirl5353 9 years ago
clemsongirl5353
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by WeaponE 9 years ago
WeaponE
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by zigzag12 9 years ago
zigzag12
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by treiner5 9 years ago
treiner5
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 9 years ago
Vi_Veri
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied
Vote Placed by Ylareina 9 years ago
Ylareina
wooferalot101FalseRealityTied