Proving_a_Negative
Wylted

Walter White was bad, Jesse Pinkman was good.

Proving_a_Negative

Proving_a_Negative

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Argument
Round 3: Rebuttal
Round 4: Closing Statement

***SPOILER ALERT***

I will argue that Walter White was an antagonist for the majority of Breaking Bad and that Jesse Pinkman was the protagonist for the majority of the show. If need be, we will discuss the meaning of the words "protagonist" and "antagonist" in the comments. You must have watched Breaking Bad in its entirety to debate.
Wylted

Con

The resolution is 2 things.

1. Walter White was bad.

2. Jesse Pinkman was good.

Failure to meet either portion of the resolution should be interpreted as a loss for Pro.
Proving_a_Negative

Pro

Definitions
As promised...
Protagonist: theleadingcharacter,hero, heroine, or adversary of the villainofadramaorotherliterarywork
Antagonist: theadversaryoftheheroorprotagonistofadramaorotherliterarywork

Walter White's Story Arc
Walter White's initial goal was to provide money for his family so that they can live comfortable lives. Walter is offered money from Gretchen and Elliott before he got into too big of a mess. He refuses. He probably declined the offer due to him losing dignity. He decided that he must ensure his families safety himself by earning money any way possible. His moral intentions have now become very questionable. He risks his family as he enters this sketchy business. The first sign that his family was in grave danger was when Walter spent the whole night awake with a knife nearby watching the window for any vehicles. Gus also threatened to kill his infant child, Tuco's cousins went into his home to murder Walter and possible anybody else, The neo-Nazis near the end of the show broke into their home and threatened Skyler, and possibly more. Walter's actions lead to his family being safe financially, but it killed Hank and put his inner family in mortal danger. His new goal was simply to have total control, ensure his own safety, and make as much money as possible. At the climax of Walter's story arc, Skyler and Walter get into a huge fight in which Skyler defends her family from him using a pizza knife. Walter kidnaps his own own child. There is another reason why I will classify Walter as an antagonist, but first I must show why Jesse Pinkman is the protagonist.

Jesse Pinkman's Story Arc
Jesse Pinkman's goal are simply to make money, have fun, and find a stable relationship. He is forced by Walter to cook meth with him under threat of being blackmailed. When Jesse finds a girlfriend, Walter is quick to oppose the idea. Walter goes as far to let her choke on her own vomit while he sits back and watches. Jesse is continuously being forced back into the meth cooking business through threats from other characters. His next relationship brings up some morally questionable actions from Walter also. Walter poisons the kid of Andrea, Jesse's new girlfriend, to manipulate Jesse into killing Gus. See a pattern? Walter constantly tries to be the supreme leader over Jesse, making him abide to his rules. Jesse is nothing but a prisoner for most of the series. Jesse finally decides enough is enough and rats out Walter to the DEA. Walter then tries to kill Jesse through many failed attempts. Jesse ends up being captured by the neo-Nazis and is forced to cook meth for them. Jesse attempts to escape his confinement, but they stop him and kill Andrea as punishment. This I believe is symbolic of Jesse's whole story arc. He was forced into the business with Walter and Walter kills his girlfriend as "punishment." Since Jesse Pinkman is the protagonist, I can also give another reason why Walter is an antagonist. Walter is the adversary of Jesse, thus he is an antagonist.

Adversaries
Since Walter opposes Jesse, one of them must be an antagonist and the other a protagonist. If Con can show that Jesse is actually an antagonist, then Walter must be the protagonist, since he would be the adversary and vice versa. Therefore, Con must show that both Jesse is the antagonist and that Walter is the protagonist to prove the resolution false or argue with this logic.

Good luck and thank you for accepting this challenge!
Wylted

Con

I'm going to forego using this round for opening arguments as it's traditionally used for. I'll just engage in rebuttals and wait until next round as to make sure the debate doesn't get too tedious. I do encourage my opponent to just forfeit the debate in his next round and we can make this a tie, but he's arguing for something that is impossible to win with.

If he insists on continuing the debate than I'll proceed to go through the motions and defeat him. Good luck.
Proving_a_Negative

Pro

I am forced to forego this round as well. My opponent chooses the uninteresting route of disproving the resolution. I really wish my opponent would stick to the show, but I guess he decided not to.
Wylted

Con

Wylted forfeited this round.
Proving_a_Negative

Pro

Proving_a_Negative forfeited this round.
Wylted

Con

Wylted forfeited this round.
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 2 years ago
Proving_a_Negative
YIKES! I have no clue why it deleted my spaces for the definitions. Sorry about that.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I like procrastinating anyway
Proving_a_Negative
Okay. Once I get back to my dorm I will get the opening argument done with the definition of protagonist and antagonist. Thank you for being patient.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
You should probably define protagonist and antagonist in a fair way in your round so I know exactly what I'm debating.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I know,
Proving_a_Negative
To keep the title from becoming insanely long, I explained what I meant in the acceptance round. The resolution should be:

1. Walter White was an antagonist for the majority of the show.

2. Jesse Pinkman was a protagonist for the majority of the show.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Proving_a_NegativeWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm not too sure if the debaters agreed to have this end in a tie, or what the deal is, because at face-value it looks like it just fizzled and died out towards the end from both sides. Ultimately, Pro was the only one to present any sort of arguments that served to strengthen his side. For this, Pro wins arguments. If I have misunderstood the nature of this debate in any way, or need to change this vote to a tie for whatever reason, please PM me and let me know. I'm more confused than anything else right now, and must vote based on what was presented, I.E. - Pro's arguments vs. Con's lack thereof.