cjet79
tbarber001

War in libertarianism

Con Tied Pro

cjet79

Con

I dont see how a ron paul supporter, or a libertarian can be for the war on terrorism, the war in Iraq, a War in Iran, and the war in Afganistan. (if i read your profile wrong just ignore this)

Can you reconcile war with a libertarian philosophy?
tbarber001

Pro

ha, i definitely see that as being a bad thing...and i do agree with the war...and thats the only thing i don't liek about ron paul not supporting hte war...but on an economic stand point...and the rights being returned to the state and to the people...i like that side of him. I am not completely sure if im debating right...but yeah im just trying to explain myself...i agree with the war in that i think we should be looking for "weapons of mass destruction" and i dont think this is a war on oil...i guess thats a different story for a different time...i think that trying to create a democracy or republic...what ever you want to call it in a country that has not had that in a looooooong time is a good thing, i believe everyone deserves freedom. Actually, i have to admit...i am always back and forth on the war...i like the idea and dont...but then again im still getting an idea on different things...im 18...really havent experienced much like other people...i have no idea your age, but im sure u know the effects it has had on you...personally.
cjet79

Con

To date the war has had little personal effect on me. Where the war will affect me, you, and nearly everyone else in this country is in our pocket books. Wars are expensive in monetary costs and in human lives, which is why most libertarians take a strong stance against war. Even if the war in Iraq was completely justified the cost of implementing it may cost both nations their freedom.

We are witnessing a complete breakdown of the federal government cuz of this war. The federal reserve is printing up money to pay for it at an alarming rate, and all this extra money makes the money we have right now more worthless by the day. The real costs of this war wont hit us for maybe another year or two.
tbarber001

Pro

yeah, i feel as if im re-explaining myself, because there are some aspects of the war i do agree with and others i dont. i do feel as if our government is spending WAAAY to much of our money...so thats why i am saving up for retirement now...which is doesn't matter for me because its not like other people should pay for me anyway. And i think after this war the gov has gained way too much pwer over its people...PATRIOT ACT...the whole writ of habeus corpus....not a good thing.
I get what ur saying how it effects u...and me in the same time with spending...I guess i didnt think about it like that because that is such a little part of it.
but like i said before i agree with the war when it deals with iraq, but when it comes to our country, i think nothing good has come from it...except for the insane support now for the military and the country (with the exception of Bush) Thats why i like ron paul...he may be against the war, and the reason why he is against the war i can understand...and i like that, but i love and think he'll do an awesome job "re-building" our economy and destroy government involvement in our lives....can he do that in 4 or 8 years (If he wins...) i dont know, but just because im libertarian doesnt mean i have to be against the war in every way possible...i find myself wanting the people of iraq to have democracy, that may be asking too much, with the religious conflicts and all, but i also think that we need to focus on our own country as well...

I guess that would be in a perfect wrold for me...

A question for you, if or when we take the troops out of the middle east, what are we going to do then? If there would then be another terrorist attack? Should we amp up on national security afterwards or just hope that we are safe...?
cjet79

Con

Well i have always liked Ron Paul's way of bringing freedom...which is leading by example and not forcing democracy onto other countries.

Well first of all you have to look at the causes for terrorist attacks. Most of them are driven by foreign interventionist efforts such as what we did in Iraq. The military kills a family or destroys a home, and the sole surviving member has nothing to live for...a perfect recruit for a terrorist organization. It is those types of men that build the power base of support for terrorist organizations. Many Muslims see the conflict with America as a holy war, but not because they disagree with Christianity. They see it as a holy war cuz they are mandated in the Koran to defend the 'holy land' at all costs. Our invasion of their holy land (especially bases in Saudi Arabia) has really pissed off a lot of Muslims.

The politics of that region are to volatile for US troops or intervention to do anyone any good. We should pull out in every way possible. If they think they have "won" then so be it. Them "winning" will be the best protection against future terrorist attacks. If attacking the US becomes just a way to gain attention and not a way to fight western intervention then the terrorist movement will die out.

And honestly if there is another terrorist attack we would be better off just ignoring it and rebuilding, because right now the over-reaction to the 9/11 attack has cost us more in money and lives then 9/11 itself did.
tbarber001

Pro

tbarber001 forfeited this round.
Posted by tbarber001 9 years ago
tbarber001
i understand what your saying...and i am against the big government here....i want to live my own life and not have everything i do be controlled by the gov't...
however, maybe its just me, and in a perfect world if i had it my way, all countries would be the same...and that is what i feel the unlitmate goal is...so when i say i am pro-war...its more like i am pro giving other countries the opportunity to be a "free" society...

like i said...in a perfect world, but in a perfect world i guess we wouldnt have these problems...

:)
Posted by cjet79 9 years ago
cjet79
Sure anyone can support Ron Paul...i just find it a bit inconsistent to call yourself a libertarian and be for our Federal government invading other countries. War is the health of the state, and libertarians are for small government.
Posted by clsmooth 9 years ago
clsmooth
I don't think anyone should be discouraged from supporting Ron Paul. There are very few who are 100% or even 90% in line with his views. There is room for everyone who supports Ron Paul. Everyone has their own reasons, and any are just as good as mine.
Posted by tbarber001 9 years ago
tbarber001
yeah, i fugured that out five seconds after i asked it...my computer screen didnt allow me to see it...so i had to pull the screen out...
Posted by cjet79 9 years ago
cjet79
If you want to edit your profile go to the "My profile" tab in the yellow bar at the top. Then you will see 4 blue links...select the third one "edit my profile" then just scroll down and you can change your answers.
Posted by tbarber001 9 years ago
tbarber001
oh, so i didnt know how to edit and save the profile...not to mention you didnt have to answer the questions...so can someone help me out....so sorry, feel like a dork. Im not so good with computers.
Vote Placed by kylevd 9 years ago
kylevd
cjet79tbarber001Tied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
cjet79tbarber001Tied
Vote Placed by dullurd 9 years ago
dullurd
cjet79tbarber001Tied
Vote Placed by Doclotus 9 years ago
Doclotus
cjet79tbarber001Tied
Vote Placed by Chickenman 9 years ago
Chickenman
cjet79tbarber001Tied