jennifer71240
Rousseau

War on Terror- the media's influence

jennifer71240

Pro

I believe the media has only shown the American public the negative aspect of the War on Terror. I want to know what happened to responsible journalism. Since the surge began, stories of the war have dropped dramatically. Why? Simply because the war is going well and the media has nothing bad to report about. The second you hear of a car bomb or a suicide bomber attack, it's the headline of the nightly news. I find this troubling beyond belief. If we can't rely on the only source of information then how are we supposed to make an unbaised decision on any matter if what we are watching is so incredibly baised? We can't. The media should be focusing on the accomplishments that we've made in the Middle East, not just the set backs. It's insulting to the brave men and women of the armed forces that their accomplishments are ignored. We need to bring back responsible journalism and we should be given both sides of the story oppose to only one side which is based on the belives of network executives.
Rousseau

Con

First off, I want to clarify what you are arguing. You are arguing that the media is biased, right? That's what I'm going to be attacking, anyway.

You have several points.

1. You say that the media ONLY shows the bad things about the War On Terror
2. You say that media bias is a bad thing

I'll go ahead and attack both, while bringing up some more points.

Point 1 - The media only shows the bad things about the War on Terror

That is a ridiculous claim, and I guess you have only been watching liberal sources. Linda Vaster on Dayside regularly airs a segment called "Only on Fox." The segment is devoted to good news stories about Iraq and our troops, and is being picked up by Fox. This really destroys your point that only negative stories on the war are being published. Anyway, media tends to reflect the public opinion, and the public opinion is overwhelmingly that the War in Iraq is and has been a waste of time. Thus, most of the media portrays it like that. However, there are a few hardcore conservative media groups (Fox being the most noted one) that still portray Iraq as a success. They are actually noted as being just as biased (if not more) than the groups that portray Iraq negatively. You asked, "Where did all the fair reporting go?" I ask... was it ever here? There aren't many examples of unbiased news programs really... ever. However you put forth the notion that the entire media is biased. That is what I find wrong with your argument. You obviously haven't looked hard enough to find different sides to the story. Not only that, but Iraq is ONE facet of America that news programs report on. You can't say that just because you think the media reports unfairly on Iraq, that the entire media is 100% biased. Try going here for your conservative fix: http://www.foxnews.com...

Also, the Iraq war may just be going badly. The one news station that constantly reports good things about the war (Fox) actually appears to be the most biased. http://www.worldpublicopinion.org...

"A new study based on a series of seven US polls conducted from January through September of this year reveals that before and after the Iraq war, a majority of Americans have had significant misperceptions and these are highly related to support for the war in Iraq."

Could it be that the war just isn't going well?!

Point 2 - Bias may or may not be bad, but the fact is... it is inevitable. It has been around since the invention of the printing press... It is inevitable and a necessity to journalism. The only way to get around it is to look at sources on both ends of the spectrum. Also, you say it is bad... but what is the negative impact of it?

Anyway... looking forward to your responses.
jennifer71240

Pro

I appreciate your view. As for watching liberal television, I don't. I'm more of a Fox kind of person. I was referring to the media as a whole, not necessarily singling out a specific network. Fox is fantastic. I do believe that the media has influenced the public view in a very negative way. I have talked to people who have been to Iraq and lived in Iraq, and they know that the people there appreciate the Americans liberating their country. They talk to them, and the majority of the people believe in our cause, and are so grateful. The media rarely shows us that aspect of the war. For the most part, all we see is negativity, and it lowers the moral of the country, and of our troops. The media and the government has long been at conflict with each other and it makes it nearly impossible to get a fair report of current events. The American people are easily influenced, and the media should be using their power for the good of the country, and not for the bad. The reason why the opinion of the war here in America is bad, is because that's all we've been exposed to. To your comment of the war not going well, I disagree. Since the surge the loss of life of American troops has dropped dramatically. Iraq is finally becoming an independent country. No war is good, but this one was necessary. We prevented a terror network so large, it would be impossible to demolish. The media shows carnage and blood, which lowers the moral of the country, and gives us a negative aspect of the war, when really we should consider this as a great success.
Rousseau

Con

You argue that the media is biased; yet say you don't watch liberal news. Watching only one facet of the news hardly seems like someone who could comment on media bias. Also, you say that the media as a whole negatively targets the war in Iraq, yet you watch Fox (conservative based). How would someone who watches Fox, who avidly supports the war, know what liberal news groups publish on the war?

You also talk about how you have talked to people who say that Iraq is a success, etc etc. Well, as much as you seem like a honest person, first person accounts and personal accounts on information cannot be used as evidence. First off, it may be a fallacy, perpetrated by an opponent to win. This isn't to say that you are a liar, just to say that you have vested interests in winning because you believe you are right. Therefore your accounts (since they are from you) may or may not be true. To put it in perspective, if I said I knew several Iraqi's who hated the U.S., should I win the point? Well, no… because personal accounts of something don't hold the same value in a debate as real evidence. Anyway, Fox shows us ‘that view' of the war all the time. Trouble is, Fox seems to lie more than the liberal base. Could it be that Fox lies about it and CNN doesn't? Could it be the war is going badly? (This is based off the aforementioned report)

You say the impact of bias in the media is lowered morale. Yet, why is that important, and where is your evidence that it is happening? If bias has been around for 400 years (a estimate) than how come nothing bad has happened from media bias. Obviously, there are no negative implications. Anyway, I would think that our troops morale stays high because of their constant chance of death and their constant chance at killing people! Oh, wait… Yeah I think our troops morale may be tinged by the Iraq war, not the media bias.

You also say that we are winning the war, and that it was necessary. I disagree full heartedly. Give me one link that says we are winning the war in Iraq or the war on Terror. Also, respond to this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com...
A BILATERAL REPORT that says we aren't doing well in Iraq… hmm…

Also, the war wasn't in any way necessary, but that's neither here nor there. I'll cover it a bit though. We went in there for WMD's when there were none. That means the original purpose is absent in our stay. The only reason we are there is… well there are two possibilities: 1. We are there for oil (depends upon your view, but you're conservative so I won't go here) OR 2. We cannot pull out without international backlash at our figurative screwing of Iraq over. Iraq can't deal with the problems we, inadvertently, pushed upon them. Feel free to argue with some sources from biased media. (:D)

Well I beleive I have won for several reasons. I have won on the points, extended my own, and the Pro side hasn't justified why media Bias has a significant negative impact. Even if the morale of America is pushed down, why is that important. For the record though, I do not agree that it is, and I demand evidence.

Well it has been a good debate so far, and I'm looking forward to your responses.
jennifer71240

Pro

jennifer71240 forfeited this round.
Rousseau

Con

Well, I firmly believe that I should win this debate because "silence is compliance". The Pro side dropped all my arguments, and therefore the only conclusion I can reach is that she, in fact, agrees with them. I think that my arguments stand forthemselves, and since the Pro side dropped the most important part of the debate, I should win by default. I also believe I won on arguments to, but that it for the voter to decide. Thank you.
Posted by Rousseau 9 years ago
Rousseau
Sources...? I can't appreciate any such claims without sources.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Actually , go to Iraq and ask them personally and many will tell you that they are not against America being there. Many actually don't want to live in fear of terrorism and suicide bombers all the time.
Posted by sethgecko13 9 years ago
sethgecko13
jennifer71240-

With all due respect to your secondhand, hearsay evidence about what the Iraqi people actually think - every single statistically-significant poll shows that the Iraqi people want us out. Now.

"In the poll, 80 percent of the Iraqis questioned reported a lack of confidence in the Coalition Provisional Authority, and 82 percent said they disapprove of the U.S. and allied militaries in Iraq."
http://www.washingtonpost.com...

"A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country, saying their swift departure would make Iraq more secure and decrease sectarian violence, according to new polls by the State Department and independent researchers. In Baghdad, for example, nearly three-quarters of residents polled said they would feel safer if U.S. and other foreign forces left Iraq, with 65 percent of those asked favoring an immediate pullout, according to State Department polling results obtained by The Washington Post."
http://www.washingtonpost.com...

"Only a third of the Iraqi people now believe that the American-led occupation of their country is doing more good than harm, and a solid majority support an immediate military pullout even though they fear that could put them in greater danger, according to a new USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll."
http://www.usatoday.com...

Here's a site with a variety of polls of the Iraqi people:

http://www.globalpolicy.org...
Posted by Vikuta 9 years ago
Vikuta
I don't think the media is negative enough! I don't care if we're "winning" or "losing" the war...the war is WRONG. I want the media to say THAT.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Conservative 9 years ago
Conservative
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by SexyLatina 9 years ago
SexyLatina
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by Bean 9 years ago
Bean
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by colsen112 9 years ago
colsen112
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by batman_is_dumb 9 years ago
batman_is_dumb
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by Nietzsche3245 9 years ago
Nietzsche3245
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by ElDiablo123 9 years ago
ElDiablo123
jennifer71240RousseauTied
Vote Placed by wolverine 9 years ago
wolverine
jennifer71240RousseauTied