vivalayeo
InsertNameHere

War on Terror

InsertNameHere

vivalayeo

Pro

In the first round I will begin with my introduction and opening argument's. I have challenged the Con because she is against the war on terror that is being fought currently by the US and NATO versus Islamic Radical group's in the middle east. This, I believe is unjustifiable and therefore I wish to ask a few question's before I end round 1.

1/Do you believe that 9/11 justified the invasion of Afganistan?
2/Do you see no threat in Islamic theocracies?
3Why do you not support the removal of terrorist's that threaten our way of life?
4/Do you believe that the US should have a policy of non-intervention even when it come's under direct attack?

I look forward to your response
InsertNameHere

Con

Thanks to my opponent for issuing this challenge. I hope for an interesting debate. Good luck to both of us! :)

For the sake of this debate, we'll be setting aside the official conspiracy theories so this doesn't transform into a "The Al-Qaeda is a CIA creation" debate and I will like to begin by addressing the questions asked by my opponent.

Firstly, I'll like to say that the invasion of Afghanistan is not justified by 9/11. official reports state that 9/11 was Al-Qaeda's doing while Afghanistan was controlled by the Taliban at the time, a radical ruling party that held control over Afghanistan through strict interpretations of Shari'a Law and Opium trade. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Al-Qaeda, on the other hand, is a separate militant movement that is solely focused on Jihad against against the west, the USA in particular.
Al-Qaeda are widely regarded as the organization that is responsible for the 9/11 attacks. While this group is speculated to operate in Afghanistan, it is not officially based there so it's unlikely that Afghanistan could be blamed for the 9/11 attacks.

Secondly, my opponent asked about Islamic theocracies. Being a muslim myself I'm likely biased and will have to say some aspects of islamic theocracy are good(which is another topic altogether I won't be addressing here), but mostly theocratic states lead to trouble. A couple examples are persecution of religious minorities and hostilities against the west and Israel. One noted example is the persecution of members of the Baha'i faith in Iran. http://www.bahai.org...
There are also many well-known incidents where Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made several Anti-Israeli, Anti-Semitic remarks including threats to nuke Israel and holocaust denial.

Thirdly, my opponent mentions the removal of terrorists that threaten the western way of life. I'll like to address this by first pointing out that Islam does permit acting in self-defense. While both my opponent and I can probably agree that many of these actions are not in self-defense, the terrorists will certainly argue that they are. Their countries are being invaded and innocent people are being killed. I think things like this will create a revenge mentality, especially when loved ones are the victims of this western aggression. By this point, these terrorists likely believe they're under attack due to what could be perceived as western imperialism. In return they choose to strike back in self-defense which leads to my opponent's fourth question about whether the US should maintain a policy of non-intervention or not. This is a complicated issue.

It is completely understandable to wage war in self-defense if your own country or one of its allies is attacked. However, in most cases, I believe the US should maintain a policy of non-intervention. They have probably the most powerful military force in the world and should not abuse this power for their own economic or strategic gain(As many alternate theories that won't be addressed here point out, the invasion of the middle east could have been for resources). There is also the question of whether the US should be using its military might to police and protect the rest of the world or to strictly stick to self-defense.

I thank my opponent for asking some interesting questions to start this debate off. I look forward to his responses. Once again, good luck to both of us!
vivalayeo

Pro

I apologise to my opponent. I've been out of town for 2 day's and hadn't realised that the debate had started. I've only 10 minutes left on the timer to post my argument. So instead of rushing it, I will post my rebuttal in round 2. Sorry about the inconvience
InsertNameHere

Con

I'll wait until the next round to continue this debate in order to give my opponent a chance to post an argument.
vivalayeo

Pro

vivalayeo forfeited this round.
InsertNameHere

Con

It seems my opponent forfeited the final round of this debate. This is a shame as I was looking forward to an interesting debate.
Posted by vivalayeo 6 years ago
vivalayeo
I'm very sorry about this. I've been busy as hell all week. It's my fault, I should have realised I didn't have the time. Sorry for wasting yor time on this mate. Perhap's some other time.
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
In this case, I agree... It's a shame that we never really got to do this debate. I was looking forward to it. :/
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
My vote-bomb was justified. Screw anyone who says different.
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
Can we save this until next week? Some stuff came up so I won't really be online until next week. I'm definitely still interested though.
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
vivalayeoInsertNameHereTied
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
vivalayeoInsertNameHereTied